Join Early Retirement Today

East coast in January
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

East coast in January

My wifes NYC trip now has an extra 10-12 days and she wants to travel further south than just NYC,a few days at the Smithsonian then on to Williamsburg and Virgina beach followed by a few days on the outer banks then Assetegue and Chincotegue,Myrtle beach and depending on time as far south as Savannah.The weather from Myrtle Beach to Savannah will probably be ok but i'm wondering how winterlike the weather will be in the Virginia Beach and outer banks part of the trip,Will anything be open?
Any dont miss places on the outer banks region assuming there open?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #2

Outer banks can be really cold that time of year, and windy. Still beautiful, though. I would recommend Manteo--we've stayed there at the Tranquil House Inn before.

It will be nicer the further south you come, but it can still be amazingly cold here in Charleston and in Savannah when a wet wind comes blowing onshore. At least it feels that way to us locals! Let me know when you are coming to Charleston and if the weather is passable we'd be happy to take you for a boat ride around the harbor.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Expect the outer banks to be dead in general. Some stuff catering to locals will be open. Many touristy type things won't - some/many restaurants included. You'll be in luck with lodging - cheap ocean front hotels will abound. Expect very cold temps - probably with highs in the 40's (that's Farenheit, not C) and rather windy. Beach walking might be a "go", but expect cold temps. If calm and tranquility is what you seek, ye shall find it in OBX in January. Va Beach will probably be more lively, same with Myrtle, but nothing like the summertime.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #4

In the Washington, DC area, this time of year the weather can do anything, from sunny 75 degrees to light snow. I've seen it do both in the same day but usually you get a few days warning.

Normally daytime temps will be in the 50-70 range, nights to the 30-50 range but can vary wildly.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5

Any one been to a restaurant in Nags Head called Tail of the Whale?
What did you think?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #6

Forget that trip,when we were planning it our Canadian dollar was at par with the American dollar now with all this financial turmoil our buck has tanked and is now below 80 cents on the American dollar and falling further behind every day.Wife now wants to go to Toronto instead of the beach