Join Early Retirement Today

El Salvador?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

El Salvador?

I may have an opportunity to join my son and family for a beach vacation in El Salvador.

Any concerns here as far as personal safety? I mean above and beyond what we always face when we travel, or go to the mall?

HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
Administrator

The U.S. State Department advises that you reconsider due to crime and violence.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

https://www.osac.gov/Country/ElSalva...c-15f4aec90b02

From the latter
Quote:
Avoid isolated stretches of beaches all along the coast of El Salvador at all times.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I may have an opportunity to join my son and family for a beach vacation in El Salvador.

Any concerns here as far as personal safety? I mean above and beyond what we always face when we travel, or go to the mall?
LOL. People are running away from there to get to the USA. That is where the caravans originate.

Be sure to leave a good note on what to do with your assets if you do not make it back.

There are far too many places right here in the USA to see. I like to spend my money here.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:24 AM   #4

How long has it been since you've heard of tourists visiting Nicaragua? San Salvador's right there with them for instability.

No thanks!
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #5

Ugh ...

You have me convinced, now I have to convince my son.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went there a lot from 2009-2012 courtesy of our Uncle Sam. Beaches are beautiful, surfing is great. People are friendly. BUT, the crime issues are real, and MS-13 is no joke. I wouldn't take my family there.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The U.S. State Department advises that you reconsider due to crime and violence.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

https://www.osac.gov/Country/ElSalva...c-15f4aec90b02

From the latter
We've plans to be in Guatamala in January so I looked at the .gov advisories on the site you kindly linked. Still kinda puzzled, but traveling anyway. Here's the color coded list for their travel map:

Travel Advisory Levels
Do Not Travel
Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Exercise Normal Precaution
Exercise Normal Precautions - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Reconsider Travel
Reconsider Travel - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk

Color me confused - on top is Do Not Travel, with a red color. Ok, that's scary and bad, so it gets better as you go down the list? Nope. Exercise Normal Precaution is in the middle and Reconsider Travel is almost on the bottom.

Is "Exercise Increased Caution" scarier than "Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas With Higher Security Risk"? Or is that mostly safe with random spots of thugishness and killing?

Gal notes that the explanation is the .gov suffix, but she's a cynic and I want to believe there is reason in the world.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

I would not be going.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

We have not been there. But, we have been to Costa Rica several times. Enjoyed it very much. Always felt safe. Same for Panama.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We've plans to be in Guatamala in January so I looked at the .gov advisories on the site you kindly linked. Still kinda puzzled, but traveling anyway. Here's the color coded list for their travel map:

Travel Advisory Levels
Do Not Travel
Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Exercise Normal Precaution
Exercise Normal Precautions - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Reconsider Travel
Reconsider Travel - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk

Color me confused - on top is Do Not Travel, with a red color. Ok, that's scary and bad, so it gets better as you go down the list? Nope. Exercise Normal Precaution is in the middle and Reconsider Travel is almost on the bottom.

Is "Exercise Increased Caution" scarier than "Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas With Higher Security Risk"? Or is that mostly safe with random spots of thugishness and killing?

Gal notes that the explanation is the .gov suffix, but she's a cynic and I want to believe there is reason in the world.
They are in alphabetical order.