Join Early Retirement Today

Elderhostel
Old 10-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Elderhostel

Wondering if anyone has gone on any elderhostel trips and what are the positives and negatives ? I'm looking at a cooking trip that they have to New Mexico .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Wondering if anyone has gone on any elderhostel trips and what are the positives and negatives ? I'm looking at a cooking trip that they have to New Mexico .
My parents-in-law have always raved about the high quality of the Elderhostels they've been to, mostly at Civil War sites. The Hawaii ones they've attended have been really well done with unusual events, local activities, and some fairly heavy hitters as speakers. Not your typical Waikiki show.

If they've had anything approaching a complaint, it's usually been that one or two of the customers hog more than their fair share of the speaker's attention, or someone's scandalous after-hours behavior. I think that Elderhostel attracts a steady stream of high-paying customers and the people they contract with want to keep everybody happy.

You might be able to Google reviews with "Elderhostel" and the activity or the town you're going to.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have friends that go on their trips, and highly recommend them. As soon as I am 55, I'll sign up with them and take a good look at their trips.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks, their trips look interesting and since I'm retired but my SO is still working I've decided to try them out .
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My in laws have also raved about them so DW has her ears up now so I will probably be reporting about one or two within the next year or so.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #6

Last year I was looking over at what Elderhostel had to offer, and it really looked interesting. So I put it on my "Things To Do in ER" list! I plan to give it a shot in 4 1/2 years when I hit 55.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Administrator

My kid has been going on Elderhostel trips every summer with my dad. They have an intergenerational program. Both have reported great experiences.

To date, they have been sea kayaking, rock climbing, gone to Denali, crewed on a tall ship, done a stint on a marine biology research boat and a few others. Last year my dad (who is 95) climbed the rigging of a tall ship. Kid was too terrified to try . They have been doing this every summer for 10 years and plan like mad over the holidays for the next year.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My kid has been going on Elderhostel trips every summer with my dad. They have an intergenerational program. Both have reported great experiences.

To date, they have been sea kayaking, rock climbing, gone to Denali, crewed on a tall ship, done a stint on a marine biology research boat and a few others. Last year my dad (who is 95) climbed the rigging of a tall ship. Kid was too terrified to try . They have been doing this every summer for 10 years and plan like mad over the holidays for the next year.

That really sounds like fun !
Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #9

Wonderful trips! My parents have been on several trips in CA, Mom & Grammy have been on several - and they invited me on one last summer! Great trip! Looking at a Boston trip in '08 (as a guest of Mom's) - our excuse to go on field trips!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard great things about their trips from a retiree in my workout class. He's taken several trips, most with a historical theme (Civil war, Lewis & Clark trail). The only negative I've heard is when a ship capsized in the Galapagos and several people drowned. I know one of the survivors and it sounded like a harrowing experience. I only hope they have strengthened their requirements for tour providers since then.

Seattle P-I Plus Getaways: Galapagos capsizing
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Wonderful trips! My parents have been on several trips in CA, Mom & Grammy have been on several - and they invited me on one last summer! Great trip! Looking at a Boston trip in '08 (as a guest of Mom's) - our excuse to go on field trips!

I love Boston. Both my children went to school there and my daughter worked there for a few years . I got great hotels in Boston using Priceline .Take the trolley tour and walk the freedom trail.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My parents keep going on them. One was cruise around Lake Michigan and another was at the Grand Canyon.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom has been on three one in Hawaii, one on a sailing ship, and love them all. My co-volunteer was the guide of the Hawaii home and garden elder hostel and she really liked it and said everybody seem to have a good time. Other seniors I have talked to have been uniform in their praise.

Even my sister, who is a very anti-tour type of personality, was pretty impressed with the activities that she and Mom went to in Hawaii.

Personally, there are not many reasons to look forward to getting older, being able to go on Elder Hostel trips is one of the few for me.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote