ER Connections?

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
I was in Hawaii for Navy Reserve duty and reached out to Nords. We coordinated schedules and had a really nice meeting. It's great to link up with like minded and interesting people. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

How often do ER people take advantage of travel to meet and connect a person to the on-line personality?

Did it two weeks ago.

Met with someone from this forum while in Puerta Vallarta. It is a small world. As it turned out we both worked in the same industry, knew and worked with some of the same people, and lived in the same city at one point. Very enjoyable meeting.

Four degrees of separation.

I have met with one of the members here on a couple of occasions and it was a delight to discuss stuff that my peers have no real clue about. There has also been talk of doing a pseudo "meet up" with other members that are here in the Atlanta area. Perhaps we should look at that when the holiday madness settles down...

I've met two er members so far, one being the infamous JG... Now FIREd, I may get a chance to do a TX meetup someday.

On our travels DW & I have met up with 6 different members plus we have met up with members in the Houston area. (Including Nords who was visiting Houston and a group meeting was arranged).

I was in Hawaii for Navy Reserve duty and reached out to Nords. We coordinated schedules and had a really nice meeting. It's great to link up with like minded and interesting people. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

How often do ER people take advantage of travel to meet and connect a person to the on-line personality?

Nords and I had lunch in Hawaii in October. Definitely a hi lite during my Hawaii stay.

Thanks Nords!

Over the years, I've personally met two members here. Neither was as strange as you might expect. If only they could say the same!

A couple of years ago, I was in Walt34's neck of the woods on a solo Mason Dixon line/Appalachian Trail recon mission. Had dinner with Walt and his DW. It was fun meeting and chatting with someone that I only knew online previously. We share photography as a hobby, so we had some great conversation.

None so far for me, but I am looking to change that... especially is the SWFL meet up happens.

I met Rosie and Gardenfun, separately, for coffee, before we all ended up leaving the Bay Area. I wished I had met them sooner.

I have met two and I have plans to meet two more. Almost met a third in SoCal but timing did not work. Would love to meet Nords but not going to Hawaii. And when he was attending to his Dad, he was pretty busy when here.

I have met four.

On our travels DW & I have met up with 6 different members plus we have met up with members in the Houston area. (Including Nords who was visiting Houston and a group meeting was arranged).

Nords and I had lunch in Hawaii in October. Definitely a hi lite during my Hawaii stay.

Thanks Nords!
Thanks for the meetups, everyone! I'm afraid that I've lost count of the totals but I've met dozens of other people through here over the last decade.

It's a standing offer: let me know when you'll be on Oahu and we'll get together for coffee, a meal, or a surfing session. Or some combination of the above. I think this helps people realize that they'll have no trouble figuring out what they'll do all day, or least confirm that I'm not faking the whole financial independence gig.

I have met two and I have plans to meet two more. Almost met a third in SoCal but timing did not work. Would love to meet Nords but not going to Hawaii. And when he was attending to his Dad, he was pretty busy when here.
We'll make it work one day. The next travel on the radar for me and my spouse is a slight chance of Charleston SC during early January to visit our daughter, but that depends on her schedule.

We might be up in the Seattle area over Memorial Day weekend for Camp Mustache, but that depends on making the cut for the attendee list. If we're attending Camp Mustache then we might also wander through Washington state for a month or two before or after, depending on the vagaries of the military Space A flights.

We plan to be in Dallas on 20-30 Oct for FinCon17, and there might be a side trip to San Antonio for a USAA conference. This is probably our 2017 trip with the most flexibility, but we're not planning to go anywhere that might be colder than 50 degrees.

Someday (Late 2017? Late 2018?) we'll visit Australia, and during 2018 we'll probably visit Japan during their warmer months. We're going to try to do those trips for 30-90 days.

I'm never sure when I'll be in Denver... usually only if my brother wants the help/support with our Dad.

Thanks for the meetups, everyone! I'm afraid that I've lost count of the totals but I've met dozens of other people through here over the last decade.

It's a standing offer: let me know when you'll be on Oahu and we'll get together for coffee, a meal, or a surfing session. Or some combination of the above. I think this helps people realize that they'll have no trouble figuring out what they'll do all day, or least confirm that I'm not faking the whole financial independence gig.

We'll make it work one day. The next travel on the radar for me and my spouse is a slight chance of Charleston SC during early January to visit our daughter, but that depends on her schedule.

We might be up in the Seattle area over Memorial Day weekend for Camp Mustache, but that depends on making the cut for the attendee list. If we're attending Camp Mustache then we might also wander through Washington state for a month or two before or after, depending on the vagaries of the military Space A flights.

We plan to be in Dallas on 20-30 Oct for FinCon17, and there might be a side trip to San Antonio for a USAA conference. This is probably our 2017 trip with the most flexibility, but we're not planning to go anywhere that might be colder than 50 degrees.

Someday (Late 2017? Late 2018?) we'll visit Australia, and during 2018 we'll probably visit Japan during their warmer months. We're going to try to do those trips for 30-90 days.

I'm never sure when I'll be in Denver... usually only if my brother wants the help/support with our Dad.

Not sure when/if I'll be visiting HI, but I've got Dallas covered!

I will extend hospitality from the Great State of Texas and from a sister Service retiree.

Only one, Sarah in SC, a few years ago in Charleston. We only talked briefly as she was a volunteer at Charleston Race Week, along with her DH.

It would be nice to meet more ERs in NC once my schedule opens more (2017 is my last year in Navy Reserve #39!).

A suggestion to Mods - make the Members List sortable by state.

Yes, we have to get together sometime. :cool:

I've met two:

1. Met Sarah in SC & her DH (who's from the same small town as my DW) on Folly Island when DW & I were visiting Charleston, SC.

2. Played a round with gcgang on Maui

Both meet ups were fun. I always like hearing others' stories.

I met Rosie and Gardenfun, separately, for coffee, before we all ended up leaving the Bay Area. I wished I had met them sooner.

Likewize!

I was so jazzed to meet AR, and then, within a couple of weeks she lets me know she's moving. How ruuude! I chose not to assume I had anything to do with her hasty departure ... :LOL:

After I moved up to Sac County, I met KB. She's quite the gardener! :flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom