Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah for now, I'm taking tech stuff on trips. Maybe I'll get tired of doing so some day.

But that means dedicating most of the carry on space for laptop, accessories, camera gear.

So if I have to check a bag (only check one big suitcase), I overpack, because I don't want to spend time doing laundry (even hand washing in the hotel), don't want to spend time hunting down stuff that I already have, etc.

I've gone on trains and boats with a big suitcase, a carryon roller and a couple of shoulder bags for camera and electronics. It is a hassle but for trips of over a week, I don't see how else to do it.
Our checked luggage is not large, and we've been fine taking many train trips with it. Smaller would be easier, but we've managed.

Other than that we just have one small carry one with camera and laptop, plus two large purses (DH carries a shoulder bag in Europe).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here. And yes, I also carry a corkscrew and am sure to check it.
It reminds me of my journey to the wilds of Afghanistan. We lost our corkscrew and had to survive on nothing but food and water for several days. - W.C. Fields

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Berlin.

I am there now as a matter of fact. Dozens of interesting museums, more history per square meter than practically any other city, fantastic transportation network, plenty see in town or on the outskirts. It's not just about WW2 and Cold War either. There are plenty of art museums, tons of restaurants, some great neighborhoods to explore. Most everyone speaks English so it's easy to navigate here.

Sadly I am only here for 3 days this time. Like you, I am looking for cities to go deep on for weeks at a time, and I'll be back in Berlin to do that soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Berlin is at the top of my to do list for European cities that we have not visited. Plan to do it as part of another trip.

Everyone I know who has been there thinks it is a great city to visit. How about easy day trips from Berlin?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #65

I did one day trip through aviator but can't recall. The other choices were day trips to concentration camps, which didn't interest me.

I entertained the idea of renting a car and driving to Prague, which would have been more like an overnight trip.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Berlin is at the top of my to do list for European cities that we have not visited. Plan to do it as part of another trip.

Everyone I know who has been there thinks it is a great city to visit. How about easy day trips from Berlin?
We did 4 days in Berlin and it was not enough. As for easy day trips, I can't recall, but there is so much nearby. I can't imagine that you'd run out of stuff to do in a week. We had a vehicle, so I can't comment on the transportation system, but it looked like most cities in Europe, which is a good thing.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferLife View Post
We did 4 days in Berlin and it was not enough. As for easy day trips, I can't recall, but there is so much nearby. I can't imagine that you'd run out of stuff to do in a week. We had a vehicle, so I can't comment on the transportation system, but it looked like most cities in Europe, which is a good thing.
A few years ago I attended a conference in Berlin. Of course I added a couple of days to see the sights. I saved a lot of money by staying in a modest but very clean hotel in Siemensdamm. The original Bauhaus Siemens factory building and the U-Bahn station were right next door. The trains were excellent, cheap and punctual. I enjoyed Berlin immensely and would love to return. The DDR museum was my favourite touristy spot.

Mercure Hotel Berlin City West. Book online now! Free Wifi!

http://www.ddr-museum.de/en
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
How about easy day trips from Berlin?

Potsdam is an easy day trip. One could also take a fast train to Leipzig or Dresden. The Sachsenhausen concentration camp memorial is nearby.

Also, Berlin itself is very spread out and not densely populated. There is a lot of green space within the city limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We did this in London a few years ago, we based in London spent time seeing the sites and purchased weekly tube (London subway) and bus passes, we loved the city. We also purchased rail passes for 5 trips anywhere the rail went, we used them to go to Stonehenge, Dover, Oxford, Windsor castle, and Cambridge. On the day trips out of London all of the locations had Hope on Hope off buses, you buy a day pass on the bus, usually outside the train stations, they run every 30 minutes or so and you can see the entire location by hoping off at a stop and doing sightseeing and they catch the next bus to the next location around the city. Also we saved our bus tickets and got discounts on our next Hope on Hope off bus tour in another city.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We always have only two carry-on pieces for each of us. For up to 2-week travels, we do not have to do laundry. And we have traveled mostly in the shoulder or off seasons to avoid traffic, and had to bring heavier clothes, else would be able to pack even lighter.

I never weighed the luggage though. I read somewhere that it should be about 15 lbs. No DSLR, just two pocket cameras, but I usually brought my 14" laptop. The Sony video camera recording on DV tapes that I no longer use can almost be concealed in my palm.

I am trying to talk my wife into expensive exofficio underwear and clothes that are lightweight and easy to wash and dry. I think their price is worth it, but she disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have neighbors that do international travel with carry on only. I don't know how they do it! They aren't carrying a laptop or a DSLR camera either, so I'm sure that helps.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #71

Does any airline allow you two carry-ons these days?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #72

Since we've devolved into the carry-on discussion, I don't think a minor diversion from the OP would be unwelcome?

Like the OP, I'm looking for a single place to hang my hat for in Europe for a week or 10 days this April, after a trans-atlantic that ends in Barcelona.

I could stay in Barcelona, or take a flight (they're pretty cheap) to another city. I'm not a big museum guy. I'd like some warmer weather. The return airfare (from wherever I end-up, back to the the US) shouldn't be priced too much higher than average. There is a little place up the coast from Barcelona (Empuriabrava) that runs a training class I was thinking of taking, but I don't know if the weather is conducive to the sport at that time of year. Presuming it's not or that I don't have the guts for that, I might just do a beer-themed trip...maybe Belgium?
Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #73

I would think Barcelona would be warmer than any place in Belgium in April.

Andalusia would be warmer than Barcelona. You could see a lot within Spain in that time. Of course Spain and France are nearby as well with other parts of Europe no more than a 2-hour flight away.

I'm also thinking of a trip in April, maybe Majorca or Greece. But Easter is a big travel time for Europeans so many hotels hike the prices a bit. And I learned that Greece celebrates Easter on a different date than the rest of Europe.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Does any airline allow you two carry-ons these days?
Last time we flew, they allowed a rolling case that went into the overhead bin, and a smaller duffel or backpack that went under the seat. We are catching a flight in a few days, and hope they have not changed the rule.

No photos of our stuff handy, so I am linking in a photo from a blog that I often read (Full Time RVing - Because We Can). These bloggers, Bob and Linda, went for 3 months at a time with this. Our rolling cases are the size of the smaller one in the photo.

Any more than this, and we would have a heck of a time jumping on/off buses and trains.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #75

They allow a carry on roller (though some of them may not fit on certain smaller airlines overseas) and a "personal item" which can be a hand or shoulder bag.

They also sometimes allow some duty-free bags too.

Baggage fees for checked luggage have become a big source of revenues for the big airlines so if anything they're going to get less generous over time.

Heard the other week that Boeing has these new bins that will allow more bags to be loaded by fitting them in by the end. But those bins will come in new planes, they won't retrofit.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

It has been like the above for decades, so nothing has changed. However, I used to see people allowed to bring on board slightly oversized rolling cases. And some airplanes have large enough bins that can accommodate them. I believe the twin-aisle planes usually do, besides they also have more bin room per passenger. And in smaller single-aisle planes, early people who board often hog the bins by putting their luggage in sideways, because theirs cannot fit otherwise. I remember wishing that the airline enforced the size of carry-ons.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #77

Well more and more, you'll see them make you leave your carry on at the tarmac or at the jetway and you get them back when you deplane.

That's on top of any checked bags you may have.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #78

That's us but with slightly smaller rollers and only one almost empty backpack ( book, Ipad, and a light sweater). Next time we go to Thailand I suspect that I will take a smaller carry on bag vs the roller. Just don't need all the stuff and it costs so little to have it cleaned.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Last time we flew, they allowed a rolling case that went into the overhead bin, and a smaller duffel or backpack that went under the seat.
That's the way I've traveled the last couple of trips (each 2 or 3 weeks). Same carry-on rules, but on full planes, they try to get roller's gate checked. All clothing and nothing else, went into the roller. The backpack had everything else (food, water bottle, tablet, camera, toiletries). That way, on a long flight, there's never a reason to dig into the roller, so gate check is no problem. And if you're looking for something, it's GOT to be in the backpack, or it's gone.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned, we made quite a few off-season trips to Europe. So, we had to bring warm clothes, but we wore them when boarding so the heavy overcoats did not have to be packed. Plus, my overcoat had all kinds of pockets to put "stuff". I did not have a cargo pant, else would be able to carry even more.

Tags
european cities