Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #81
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
When are you most likely to get dry, sunny weather in Scotland?

Never been and that's on the bucket list.
I was going to say "never" but apparently May, June, and September are your best bets:

Weather in Scotland - Lonely Planet

We visited Scotland twice, once in July and once in June, and it rained some both times. Most often it was a light to moderate drizzle, and with a good rain jacket it didn't keep us from doing anything we wanted to. So just go - beautiful scenery, interesting towns, and lovely people.

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Having never been anywhere in Europe, it's always been on my bucket list to make at least on trip to "somewhere". But, given that I'm not really a fan of cities, spending the time, money, and effort to deal with large crowds, language barriers, etc., I wonder if I'd rather just go hike in the Alps or hang near the coast of Italy, and skip the lines and crowds and expense to see really old stuff...

I have about enough AA miles to make one European trip, or, I could make 5-6 trips within the USA.

Now get off my lawn!

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
Pretty much any city in Europe. Really. But then the replies on the thread say that!

My personal favorites

1. London. You can very easily spend 2 weeks in city. And numerous awesome day trips for which buy a regional train pass.

2. Stitch an itinerary with Fly into Berlin, 5-7 days in Berlin, 2 hr train ride to Dresden, 2-3 days in Dresden/Leipzig, 2 hr train ride to Prague, 6-7 days in Prague, Fly out of Prague. Or in reverse. Plenty of interesting stuff in each of these cities and decent day-trip options. Or you can do Prague & Vienna. Try Pushkin apartment-hotel in Prague. Great location, size of room/flats, pricing.
Apartments Prague Pushkin - Apartments in Prague, cheap accommodation in Prague

3. Nice, France with day trips to along the Med coast and other parts of Provence. Although you are better off renting a car for part of the trip.

4. Any place in Italy - Sienna/Tuscany (better with car), Cinque Terre (Monterosso is a good base), Naples/Amalfi coast
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
If you have a choice and want to avoid the summer,
Late April/May is nice for Europe.
By October the days get short, so the number of sight-seeing hours become limited, definitely a concern if you are trying to pack a lot into your days!
Mid-May has 15.5 hours of daylight in London
Mid-Sept has 12.5 hours of daylight
Mid-Oct has 10.5 hours of daylight

I use Sunrise and sunset times in London, May 2015
to get daylight hours in any city and month/day for my travel planning
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Me too.

I'm looking at a trip to Norway and the amount of daylight there is ridiculous. Of course, it's not as sunny as more southern locations.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We were in Czech Rep. once in late November, and it was pitch black a bit past 4 PM. We went to Kutna Hora for a day trip. We came from Prague by bus, and planned to return by train. We spent some time wandering in the rainy dark night in a strange town, looking for the train station to get back to Prague. The streets were empty. I was a bit afraid of getting mugged, but of course nothing happened.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There's a series of books that are called Day Trips - one is based in France, the other in Germany. You essentially stay in one large town and then use the public transportation or rent a car to go to different regions cities in the country. I used these when I lived in Europe - great itineraries.

You need to figure out what you like and then base it on that. I see that not much of eastern Europe was mentioned - we reall like Budapest - we love Croatia, Greece (we took a ferry from Athens to Santorini and Naxos for about a week or so); we went to Calabria and Sicily; we went to Mallorca and hiked....lots of options.

Just need to do the research and ask (like you have here) -then when you get there ask the hotel, the locals, the Irish pub.....lots of places we've found out about have been due to the locals. Also, watch the Rick Steves shows or books or forums for more info....also lonely planet, etc.....

Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote

european cities