Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand why rental car companies disallow their cars to go into Northern Ireland and the old Eastern Bloc countries like Bulgaria, Romania and to a lesser extent the new Czech Republic. I think they have legal issues in such places because their laws have not caught up with the rest of Western Europe.

But people take German rental cars into Italy all the time. I've done it many times. The difference in Italy is the government requires you to take CDW coverage including theft insurance. But the insurance is relatively inexpensive there vs. the same coverage in Germany due to Italian governmental regulations setting the CDW rates.

That all makes me think there are more physical damage and theft problems in Italy than in much of Western Europe.

The truth is that most rental car optional CDW coverages in most countries is secondary to your U.S. car insurance carrier--back home. It's the same with your credit card rental car coverage--secondary to your home policy (except American Express). And to take it a little farther, most rental car companies have liability coverage, but otherwise are self insured--putting all the CDW funds into an account and hoping it's just another profit department after expenses.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I just rented a Peugeot 308 SW through their long-term lease program for the upcoming road trip. There's something about normal car rentals not going over 30 days. They will give me a new car, with a buy-back (?) after the rental period is over. Sounds like some kind of red tape that mandates this method.

I chose this car after much consideration of the trunk space. We will be traveling with another couple, and even carry-ons may not fit in a car with a smaller trunk. If we travel by ourselves, can use a smaller and less expensive car, but here the cost is divided, so it is not too bad.

I bought all insurance: collision, liability, and theft. Costs a bit more, but I do not want to have to worry about it. I will pick it up at Orly, and return it there. They allow driving into Italy, no problem. Will see how I like to drive in Italy. From what I have read, they like to ride your rear bumper, and I will try to not let it bother me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It would be worth your while to get an understanding of the difference in pricing when you rent cars in various countries. Our experience is that there can be substantial differences in the bottom line costs between neighbouring countries.

We have traveled extensively in Italy. We have rented numerous times-always through autoeurope and most always a one way rental that had a very small or nil drop off fee. We typically use a combo of trains and rental cars.

Our experience in Italy is that in many places not only do you not want or need a car,having one is a huge pain. We typically use train and rental cars. Last time we rented in Florence, toured in Tuscany, Umbria, and Marche, then and dropped off in Ancona. Time before that it was rented in Florence and dropped off in Venice. No use paying parking and rental fees to have a car sit for several days. In many Italian cities there are areas of town where only locals can drive. If you mistakenly drive in the area, and are caught on camera, a fairly hefty fine will find itself to the rental firm and then on to you charge account a few months later.

We avoid renting at an airport. The rates tend to be higher and there is a much smaller chance of an upgrade. Many city rental offices are closed on Sundays. We travel with a 21 carry on roller each-for a week or for several months at a time. If you can get down to this you will be very thankful. Who wants to load and unload a car each time with too much luggage. Besides, we have rec'd some great travel advice while sitting in laundromats or sitting in outdoor cafes across the street or beside a laundromat!

Car travel in Europe is not what it is in North America.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We have visited Europe several times, and traveled by train mostly. I have traveled by car in France, but not Italy.

This time, I have planned the itinerary and coordinated with the other couple so we will visit places that are easier to access by a car, and that we have not been to. I carefully check out Airbnb homes to be sure that a parking space is available. While we will be mostly in rural areas, we do want to drop into adjacent towns. I have checked out all the ZTLs and bookmarked the public parking lots. At some locations, I choose the Airbnb's that are near a metro station so we can hop on public transportation to get into town.

On this trip the highlights are Provence and Tuscany, where a car will minimize the transit time for us.

PS. For longer trips, washing clothes will be necessary. Thank goodness, nearly all Airbnb homes have a washer. Dryers are rare as hen's teeth because of their electric rate. We stay long enough at most locations to hang clothes out to dry, so it is OK.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't rent a car in Italy. Truth be told, I was nervous about those crazy Italian drivers. I never stayed in AirBnB, mostly American hotels, we wanted big king size bed and free breakfast. It worked out well for us. However we did rent a car in UK to see the Cotswold area, you can't see the countryside without a bit of driving.
We packed light as in both of us had just a small carrying on bag. We washed our clothes and hung them in the hotels bathtube.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Our past travels were mostly in big cities. It's all about those train stations again. This time, we like to see more of the countryside, and live among the locals.

I really look forward to staying at these Airbnb homes. Most are in small towns, where I can go shop for groceries, and mingle with the locals. I have surfed and looked at their supermarket sales flyer to see the food they buy and eat. This is fun.

In Tuscany, I rent a 2-bedroom apartment which is a floor of a grand villa, where the proprietor presses and sells olive oil. This is great.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When I change the way I travel, I experience different things.

For example, we visited Canada many times, and had been to Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec a few times each. But when I traveled by RV, and had time to go to little towns, I saw different things.

I enjoyed even going through their grocery stores to see what they ate. Take something as mundane as Campbell soups. They had different flavors that were not seen in the US. It was impossible to get cilantro though, when we wanted to make a Mexican dish.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I really look forward to staying at these Airbnb homes. Most are in small towns, where I can go shop for groceries, and mingle with the locals.
In larger cities, and elsewhere, our Airbnb, (or HouseTrip, or Wimdu), rentals are always down 'where the people live'....we don't go places to mingle with other tourists.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I change the way I travel, I experience different things.

For example, we visited Canada many times, and had been to Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec a few times each. But when I traveled by RV, and had time to go to little towns, I saw different things.

I enjoyed even going through their grocery stores to see what they ate. Take something as mundane as Campbell soups. They had different flavors that were not seen in the US. It was impossible to get cilantro though, when we wanted to make a Mexican dish.
I went to lots of Canadian places. I read the Let's Go book and been to Nova Scotia, News Brunswick, and Prince Edwards Island. Claim digging there was the best.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

When we travel we make it a point to visit the local markets and the local supermarkets. We always see something interesting.

In places with small grocers we often buy lunch....two rolls, a few slices of meat, some cheese and/or fruit and maybe a bottle of wine, beer, water, or OJ. Then sit somewhere and watch the world go by.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #31

I rented a car about 10 years ago in Italy with pickup in Florence and drop off in Siena. We toured the Tuscan hill towns. It was a Smart for Four which is a whole different beast than the Smart for Two (which you can see around some parts of the US now). Some of what you hear about driving there is true and some of it is no worse or better than some parts of the US. For example, the drivers in Silicon Valley sit on your bumper much more than the Italian drivers did. The lane markings in some areas of Italy (particularly in town) are seen as guidelines. You will also get a lot of scooters and motorbikes filtering through the car traffic - watch for them and don't be startled.

You should make sure that you have an international driving permit. We got stopped on the way to return the car in Sienna at a fixed police check point. I think they were looking for unlicensed/uninsured motorists. They wanted to see that international permit. You can get one at AAA.

When you visit the hill towns they all have parking lots outside the town. Sometimes they have multiple lots at various points - just off the main road before the climb to town, and then at the top of the climb before entering the old town, and sometimes midpoints in the climb. Some of the locals rent spots long term there too if they don't have a spot in town. We would park there but keep the bags well hidden and don't be putting stuff into the trunk and sorting the baggage when you arrive. Do that before you get there. Sometimes thieves are watching the lots to look for likely cars to rob - this applies in all parts of the world including the US. We left nothing of value in the car overnight. We traveled light enough (1 bag each) that it was easy to carry the luggage from the car to somewhere we were staying in town.

I will recommend Pienza as a stop. It is the "Pecorino Capital" and we had some really great cheese there. Bought some to eat on the trip too. Some of the towns had some really great wine (e.g. Montepulciano, Montalcino) and we seriously thought about buying a case and having it shipped home. I kind of wish we had - maybe in the future. Keep that in mind if you like the wine - they can ship at a reasonable cost.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callitaday2022 View Post
We bought plane tickets into Frankfurt Germany, and want to rent a car and then travel through Switzerland down to Italy. Want to hit some sites in Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and Luxembourg.
Would appreciate any advice and knowledge on renting a car at the Frankfurt Airport. Such as what are the better car rental agencies and also about the different insurances that you should or should not get.
What are the best ways to stay when traveling through Europe? It will be 4 adults so we're going to need a decent size vehicle and when we stay is Airbnb the best option or have you found other options to be better?
No advice on rentals, but when you're on the Autobahn, unless you absolutely have the pedal to the metal, stay out of the fast lane except for passing - and even then be careful. Cars will come up on you from behind faster than you've ever imagined and ride your bumper at 200KmH.

Driving in Europe is a little different than in the U.S. You just have to be very vigilant and careful. I'll never forget entering Florence and being surrounded by swarms of Vespas on the city streets. Throughout Europe, the roads are rarely setup on a grid. I would have loved to have Siri. A good GPS could be a lifesaver.

Gas prices can be a shocker too, though we're much closer to their prices than we used to be in the U.S. I know the UK is particularly pricy which I always thought of as strange given all their North Sea oil. (When I lived in Munich in the late 80's we used to get gas for $.35/gal. at the U.S. Army gas stations while Germans were paying $4/gal. and up!)

You are probably already aware that London is charging a toll for cars to enter the city and I know Paris has also taken steps to reduce car traffic. My advice around the biggest cities would be to leave the car at a convenient train station car park on the outskirts and commute into the city.

Otherwise, to see the non-urban parts of Europe, it's a terrific way to travel. My Dad bought a Fiat and took delivery in Turin when we were kids and we drove all over Europe for over two months. it was amazing to drive around the Loire Valley and visit the different Chateaus - definitely not to be missed if you're in the South of France.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #33

Watch out for the gypsies in Italy, year, they almost got my husband. They helped him carrying his luggage, he thought he might tipped them, until I yelled out they're gypsies. They acted offended but sure enough when the train took off, they were no where inside the train.
For rental car, in USA we rent a car with full gas tank, not so in UK, or maybe the whole Europe. My husband and I made the mistake of filling up the tank when we returned it, overpaid suckers we were.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
...I will recommend Pienza as a stop. It is the "Pecorino Capital" and we had some really great cheese there...
Pienza was not on my radar at all. Can't say I have seen it mentioned. Hmm...

So many hilltowns, so little time. Guess I have to save something for the next time.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #35

Too many places to see in Italy. San Gimignano is another good place to see. I liked the salami there.