Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #61
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
That's nothing new in Florida. When a storm does a lot of damage to hundreds of roofs of homes sometimes it takes a few years to get your roof fixed.

After Irma I lost some roof tiles .It took over a year to get them replaced .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
True on the beach side of things. As to great winter weather though, Tampa averages 3 days in Jan with highs only in the 50's. The average highs in Dec through Feb are 70-76 degrees.

Southern CA is what we’d be getting away from because it’s too cold for us here in the winter. Our average high Dec-Feb is 67. We’d like to go somewhere where average high is 75+ and the water temperature is as close to 80+ as possible.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Southern CA is what we’d be getting away from because it’s too cold for us here in the winter. Our average high Dec-Feb is 67. We’d like to go somewhere where average high is 75+ and the water temperature is as close to 80+ as possible.
Consider the Florida Keys.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Possibly then Naples or Miami.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #65

Quote:
Or Hawaii. West side. Kihei, Wailea, lahaina, Kona. Diomondback
Old 02-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #66

I think Hawaii or USVI would probably be better for us than S FL. I looked up water temperatures and was surprised that Key West is 73 in January. Pretty chilly!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think Hawaii or USVI would probably be better for us than S FL. I looked up water temperatures and was surprised that Key West is 73 in January. Pretty chilly!
Problem with the USVIs is that one is almost guaranteed some form of storm damage on an predictable and annual basis. Hawaii is simply too expensive for most retirees now.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Problem with the USVIs is that one is almost guaranteed some form of storm damage on an predictable and annual basis. Hawaii is simply too expensive for most retirees now.

Annual basis? USVI had major hurricanes in 1989, 1995, and two in 2017. It’s a risk to be sure, but 4 major hurricanes in 18 years isn’t annual.

Some friends of ours recently sold their house in So CA for well over $1M and bought a simple but newer home on the Big Island for less than half that amount. She said food is expensive but property taxes are much lower. Still, I agree with you that in general Hawaii is very expensive, even relative to So CA.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There are some nice homes here in Ormond beach not too far from the beach in a X Flood Zone.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/15_zm/1_fr/
Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Annual basis? USVI had major hurricanes in 1989, 1995, and two in 2017. It’s a risk to be sure, but 4 major hurricanes in 18 years isn’t annual.

Some friends of ours recently sold their house in So CA for well over $1M and bought a simple but newer home on the Big Island for less than half that amount. She said food is expensive but property taxes are much lower. Still, I agree with you that in general Hawaii is very expensive, even relative to So CA.

If you are looking for warmth, I'd skip Hawaii and go to the V.I. ---- I am currently in Hawaii for the last 3 months.... Molokai and Maui -- and it gets a bit chilly for me in the Evenings..... Also it is far more windy here than in the Caribbean. If you are just looking for water temp, Hawaii would be OK, as they don't get severe cold fronts.

Also Hawaii can be a bit isolated from the Continental U.S. --- But, I am guessing that Food is much more expensive in the V.I. than Hawaii ..... We aren't finding the food prices in Hawaii that bad... We wintered in the Bahamas for 3 years and food was generally twice as much as U.S. Mainland...
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #71

Quote:

Or if you really want to think outside of the Box, the Northeast Coast of Australia is probably perfect for you... We wintered last year in Hervey Bay, North of Brisbane... And the weather is perfectly Hot... The people in So. Calif. could only dream of real estate prices this cheap near the ocean. Most any community North of Brisbane would give you want you want... And You'd pretty much be on the Great Barrier Reef!

You can get a retirement visa if you prove financial assets (I think it's only $500K of Liquid)....

Rent a winter there (Ours) and see if it's your cup of tea!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
If you are looking for warmth, I'd skip Hawaii and go to the V.I. ---- I am currently in Hawaii for the last 3 months.... Molokai and Maui -- and it gets a bit chilly for me in the Evenings..... Also it is far more windy here than in the Caribbean. If you are just looking for water temp, Hawaii would be OK, as they don't get severe cold fronts.

Also Hawaii can be a bit isolated from the Continental U.S. --- But, I am guessing that Food is much more expensive in the V.I. than Hawaii ..... We aren't finding the food prices in Hawaii that bad... We wintered in the Bahamas for 3 years and food was generally twice as much as U.S. Mainland...

Thanks for this information. Another thing we hadn’t thought much about is wave action. Since we like diving and snorkeling, high surf is not desirable for us. Friends told us they prefer Hawaii to the Caribbean because of the waves in Hawaii. Made us realize the Caribbean may be better for us for that reason alone.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #73

Quote:
Or if you really want to think outside of the Box, the Northeast Coast of Australia is probably perfect for you... We wintered last year in Hervey Bay, North of Brisbane... And the weather is perfectly Hot... The people in So. Calif. could only dream of real estate prices this cheap near the ocean. Most any community North of Brisbane would give you want you want... And You'd pretty much be on the Great Barrier Reef!

You can get a retirement visa if you prove financial assets (I think it's only $500K of Liquid)....

Rent a winter there (Ours) and see if it's your cup of tea!

Great idea!
Old 03-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #74

Quote:
Made us realize the Caribbean may be better for us for that reason alone.
If you have a generous budget, look at St. John USVI. There's lots of nature (US National Park covers most of the island) and so many really awesome beaches. There is an underwater trail in the park for snorkelers in Trunk Bay (one of the nicest beach in the world).

Also, the weather during winter is excellent. Today's water temp is 79°
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
If you have a generous budget, look at St. John USVI. There's lots of nature (US National Park covers most of the island) and so many really awesome beaches. There is an underwater trail in the park for snorkelers in Trunk Bay (one of the nicest beach in the world).

Also, the weather during winter is excellent. Today's water temp is 79°

Yes, I agree, St. John is beautiful. We love Maho Bay, Francis Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Hawksnest, and Leiner. We volunteered with Red Cross after Irmaria in 2017 on STJ for 2 weeks and STT for 2 weeks. How is the recovery coming along?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #76

Look at Bonaire, excellent and easy shore diving. There are a few nice beaches for laying out. Nice VRBO rentals, good restaurants, good grocery stores. Not a lot of other things to do though. But it can be a fun place to just dive and bum around for a month or more. The dive shops are set up for weekly unlimited tank rentals but if you ask some of them will sell you a punch card. Better deal if you won't be diving every day. Nitrox is plentiful also. Rent a truck and hit the water!
We found the grocery stores to have a better supply than other islands since lots of stuff comes in frequently from Holland.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately the USVI and UKVI appear to get a major storm of some kind a year. Tat is too much for us and we spent a few years cruising the Eastern Caribbean from 2002 onwards. We left for the summers and returned in the winters.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Look at Bonaire, excellent and easy shore diving. There are a few nice beaches for laying out. Nice VRBO rentals, good restaurants, good grocery stores. Not a lot of other things to do though. But it can be a fun place to just dive and bum around for a month or more. The dive shops are set up for weekly unlimited tank rentals but if you ask some of them will sell you a punch card. Better deal if you won't be diving every day. Nitrox is plentiful also. Rent a truck and hit the water!
We found the grocery stores to have a better supply than other islands since lots of stuff comes in frequently from Holland.

We’ve been there on vacation and really liked Bonaire. Nice diving, clean, safe and great restaurants. Your posts reminds me we should do another trip there.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Unfortunately the USVI and UKVI appear to get a major storm of some kind a year. Tat is too much for us and we spent a few years cruising the Eastern Caribbean from 2002 onwards. We left for the summers and returned in the winters.

Yes, the ideal situation for us weather-wise would be the Caribbean from Dec-June and Southern CA July-November. Then we could avoid the worst of the tropical hurricane season and enjoy the best of So CA weather. However leaving our So CA condo vacant for that long would be an expensive lifestyle. We are thinking about putting our things in storage, renting our condo out for a few years, and exploring. That way we’d still have a beachfront condo to come back to if we decide that’s what we want long-term, and we can try out other places to see if there is anywhere we like better. We can rent our condo out and be cash flow positive.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We wintered in the Bahamas for 3 years
This is our 3rd winter in Key Largo, Fl. We love it but miss the sense of adventure that comes with exploring new places. We have vacationed extensively in the Caribbean but have never been to the Bahamas. I'd be interested in where you stayed and any key learnings you're willing to share.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote