Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Love the idea, but have a few health issues that I am attending to at the moment. However, I will be happy to share any local knowledge I have if you feel that you need any.

Landrover Defender and Toyota Hilux (both diesel) are both hardy and dependable 4X4 vehicles and there will be local mechanics with experience of these vehicles and spares off the beaten track and they would have been my first and second choices (in no particular order) for a safari vehicle.

Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado
Check out this link for some amazing photos from a self drive trip to namibia to botswana in a rented safari-equipped 4wd:

Namibia and Botswana 2013 vacation - Expedition Portal

susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Hey Susswein, I have a friend who did a trip through Africa last year.

You might also want to check out the Overlanders Expo held in May each year down in Flagstaff. We'll be attending in 2014, as we wrap up our circumnavigation (starting in Alaska and coming home to SC). Looks like a lot of good folks to network with on trips like you want.

The dude who did Africa is Joe, and his team name was Shoebaru--he took two $1000 Subaru wagons from England to South Africa. Team Shoebaru - 2012 London to South Africa Charity Drive

Next on our agenda is a PanAm run, in 2015. If you aren't on HUBB already, there are a lot of overlanders there, in addition to the motorcycle types. And there's a FB page for the PanAm '15, but not much planned yet.

Africa is not exactly on our radar, at least for the time being. Looking forward to running Central and South America for sure!

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote