Farthest south you have traveled?

south - Te Anau, Southland, NZ
North Fairbanks, AK, USA
or there abouts.

North: Vancouver
South: Key West
West: Santa Monica Pier? Unless Olympic N.P. is considered further West.
East: New York City

I hope to improve on the South and East by doing a cruise in the Eastern Caribbean sometime this year.

Hmmm... North and South directions are easier to define than East/West.

Is Hawaii 40 deg in longitude west of LA, or is it 320 deg east of the latter? Depends on whether you want to go the shorter or longer route. One can say Kalamazoo is 357 degrees east of Detroit. :cool:

Last edited:
Paradise Bay is pretty south, but I have that beat. I'm not sure where exactly Marc went on the peninsula but unless it was not any farther down than Lemaire Channel, I think I 'win'. Picture from the electronic scrapbook:

Attachments

• aa2002.jpg
    aa2002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 13
Furthest south was Porto Allegra Brazil (yuk :yuk:).

_B

North Slope of Alaska to Aruba.

East-West: Started out traveling west from Houston to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Far East of Russia) via Tokyo. Continued westward to Moscow. Westward again back to Houston.

Furthest south was Porto Allegra Brazil (yuk :yuk:).

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it; Porto Alegre is one of my favorite Brazilian cities. Home of the gaúcho, you get some of the world's best BBQ there (churrasco). I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Lucky! You must do all your travel now using accumulated frequent traveler miles. Are you on the Greyhound or the Trailways program? :greetings10:
Wait......you pay money to travel?

Cozumel and likely near the Aleutions on a flight from Seattle to Tokyo.

Wait......you pay money to travel?

I had accumulated just over 4,000,000 actual miles on Northwest Air (now Delta).

After 10 years of RE, I still have just enough for one more run to the West Coast, (coach sadly)

That was an interesting exercise--I came up with three possibilities, but so far, the international boarding/waiting area in the Brisbane Australia airport is our "southest." (Whistler Blackcomb is the opposite)

Give us a couple more years and we'll strive to expand things a bit!

Since people are quoting north too, mine is Cantwell, AK (not counting Iceland, since I never left the airport, I can't say I've really "been there").

Google Maps allows a cool thing: how far apart is your southernmost destination from your northernmost? 9,847 miles for me, but it's not got too much of an east-west angle to it, so others will have longer distances.

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
A few miles off the the Antarctic ice shelf, before the wind blew us back, turned around and sailed back to Cape Town, Africa. A week long trip.

The other day watched a video of an engineer explaining failure modes of dams. At the end some Q&A. He was asked about foreign travel, he said the only foreign country he ever was in was South Carolina. He is a born Pennsylvanian, spent virtually all his life in satate.

I doubt whether anyone who hasn't visited the Dead Sea area can do better than tie my record for lowest point visited.

In 2004 I was visiting Death Valley in California, and I went to the lowest point on the surface of North America at Badwater Basin. They had a little parking area and it's marked as 282 feet (86 meters) below sea level.

Of course I wasn't satisfied with the visitor spot so I took my handheld Garmin and went on a hike across the salt flats until I was sure I was at the absolute lowest point. Then I scooped up about a tablespoon of the salt/sand mixture and took it home in a plastic bag to add to my collection. I have small pebbles from many of the extreme points I've visited.

I'm sure there are some here who have been deeper in the ocean, but the dry land low points are few and far between.

Edited to add that I didn't think about down in mineshafts, only surface points.

Last edited:
North Slope of Alaska to Aruba.

East-West: Started out traveling west from Houston to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Far East of Russia) via Tokyo. Continued westward to Moscow. Westward again back to Houston.

Dang, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is WAAAAY out there! How many days was your drive to Moscow from there? DH took about a week or so to drive from Ulan Ude to Vladivostok, on the "good" highway. I guess you did some time on the Road of Bones to be that far out.

Very cool.

I doubt whether anyone who hasn't visited the Dead Sea area can do better than tie my record for lowest point visited.

In 2004 I was visiting Death Valley in California, and I went to the lowest point on the surface of North America at Badwater Basin. They had a little parking area and it's marked as 282 feet (86 meters) below sea level.

Of course I wasn't satisfied with the visitor spot so I took my handheld Garmin and went on a hike across the salt flats until I was sure I was at the absolute lowest point. Then I scooped up about a tablespoon of the salt/sand mixture and took it home in a plastic bag to add to my collection. I have small pebbles from many of the extreme points I've visited.

I'm sure there are some here who have been deeper in the ocean, but the dry land low points are few and far between.

Edited to add that I didn't think about down in mineshafts, only surface points.

Yes, I went to the Dead Sea (1388 ft below sea level) in 2009. It was courtesy of megacorp. And I was at Badwater Basin (-282 ft altitude) in Death Valley last year.

Sorry to say that GPS altitude is not reliable, and fluctuates several feet even if you stay still in one spot. One can check this out readily, just leaving it out in the backyard and taking a reading every so often. Need differential GPS, the equipment that surveyors use.

Yes, I went to the Dead Sea (1388 ft below sea level) in 2009.

I was there, in the Ein Gedi region, in 1983.....interesting experience.....my late wife, (who was around the size of DW, who is 5'1" and around 100 lbs), could lie on top of the water on her stomach, with her head propped up by her elbows, and not sink.

I did not take a swim, not being prepared as I was on a day tour from Haifa, Israel high-tech town. But a couple of fellows in that tour took a dip, and remarked that the feeling was weird when they tried to swim. I regret now not getting wet myself.

PS. Wikipedia says that Dead Sea's water is almost 10x saltier than the ocean. The water density is 1.24 kg/l or 24% higher than pure water.

Last edited:
Since people are quoting north too, mine is Cantwell, AK (not counting Iceland, since I never left the airport, I can't say I've really "been there").

Google Maps allows a cool thing: how far apart is your southernmost destination from your northernmost? 9,847 miles for me, but it's not got too much of an east-west angle to it, so others will have longer distances.

Hmm, made me look. 13,079 Km, which is 8126.91 miles. You win!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 5
Farthest south was cruising just south of the South Island, New Zealand.

Farthest North was cruising just inside the Arctic circle when we sailed from Ísafjörður to Húsavík in northern Iceland.

Cozumel and likely near the Aleutions on a flight from Seattle to Tokyo.

Been on the northern polar route many times in the air, but I was assuming we had to touch down.

Dang, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is WAAAAY out there! How many days was your drive to Moscow from there? DH took about a week or so to drive from Ulan Ude to Vladivostok, on the "good" highway. I guess you did some time on the Road of Bones to be that far out.

Very cool.

Wasn't driving from Y-S to Moscow (flew through Seoul, think). I did do a combo road-train trip from Vladivostok to Komsomolsk-on-Amur on another trip. That took two days as I recall. Very interesting trip both on the road (scary) and on the train (different).

Back
Top Bottom