Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cozumel and likely near the Aleutions on a flight from Seattle to Tokyo.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wait......you pay money to travel?
I had accumulated just over 4,000,000 actual miles on Northwest Air (now Delta).

After 10 years of RE, I still have just enough for one more run to the West Coast, (coach sadly)

Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Farthest south; Mauritius 1975
Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #64

That was an interesting exercise--I came up with three possibilities, but so far, the international boarding/waiting area in the Brisbane Australia airport is our "southest." (Whistler Blackcomb is the opposite)

Give us a couple more years and we'll strive to expand things a bit!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #65

Since people are quoting north too, mine is Cantwell, AK (not counting Iceland, since I never left the airport, I can't say I've really "been there").

Google Maps allows a cool thing: how far apart is your southernmost destination from your northernmost? 9,847 miles for me, but it's not got too much of an east-west angle to it, so others will have longer distances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ns.jpg (55.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #66

A few miles off the the Antarctic ice shelf, before the wind blew us back, turned around and sailed back to Cape Town, Africa. A week long trip.

The other day watched a video of an engineer explaining failure modes of dams. At the end some Q&A. He was asked about foreign travel, he said the only foreign country he ever was in was South Carolina. He is a born Pennsylvanian, spent virtually all his life in satate.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I doubt whether anyone who hasn't visited the Dead Sea area can do better than tie my record for lowest point visited.

In 2004 I was visiting Death Valley in California, and I went to the lowest point on the surface of North America at Badwater Basin. They had a little parking area and it's marked as 282 feet (86 meters) below sea level.

Of course I wasn't satisfied with the visitor spot so I took my handheld Garmin and went on a hike across the salt flats until I was sure I was at the absolute lowest point. Then I scooped up about a tablespoon of the salt/sand mixture and took it home in a plastic bag to add to my collection. I have small pebbles from many of the extreme points I've visited.

I'm sure there are some here who have been deeper in the ocean, but the dry land low points are few and far between.

Edited to add that I didn't think about down in mineshafts, only surface points.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
North Slope of Alaska to Aruba.

East-West: Started out traveling west from Houston to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Far East of Russia) via Tokyo. Continued westward to Moscow. Westward again back to Houston.
Dang, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is WAAAAY out there! How many days was your drive to Moscow from there? DH took about a week or so to drive from Ulan Ude to Vladivostok, on the "good" highway. I guess you did some time on the Road of Bones to be that far out.

Very cool.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I doubt whether anyone who hasn't visited the Dead Sea area can do better than tie my record for lowest point visited.

In 2004 I was visiting Death Valley in California, and I went to the lowest point on the surface of North America at Badwater Basin. They had a little parking area and it's marked as 282 feet (86 meters) below sea level.

Of course I wasn't satisfied with the visitor spot so I took my handheld Garmin and went on a hike across the salt flats until I was sure I was at the absolute lowest point. Then I scooped up about a tablespoon of the salt/sand mixture and took it home in a plastic bag to add to my collection. I have small pebbles from many of the extreme points I've visited.

I'm sure there are some here who have been deeper in the ocean, but the dry land low points are few and far between.

Edited to add that I didn't think about down in mineshafts, only surface points.
Yes, I went to the Dead Sea (1388 ft below sea level) in 2009. It was courtesy of megacorp. And I was at Badwater Basin (-282 ft altitude) in Death Valley last year.

Sorry to say that GPS altitude is not reliable, and fluctuates several feet even if you stay still in one spot. One can check this out readily, just leaving it out in the backyard and taking a reading every so often. Need differential GPS, the equipment that surveyors use.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, I went to the Dead Sea (1388 ft below sea level) in 2009.
I was there, in the Ein Gedi region, in 1983.....interesting experience.....my late wife, (who was around the size of DW, who is 5'1" and around 100 lbs), could lie on top of the water on her stomach, with her head propped up by her elbows, and not sink.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I did not take a swim, not being prepared as I was on a day tour from Haifa, Israel high-tech town. But a couple of fellows in that tour took a dip, and remarked that the feeling was weird when they tried to swim. I regret now not getting wet myself.

PS. Wikipedia says that Dead Sea's water is almost 10x saltier than the ocean. The water density is 1.24 kg/l or 24% higher than pure water.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Since people are quoting north too, mine is Cantwell, AK (not counting Iceland, since I never left the airport, I can't say I've really "been there").

Google Maps allows a cool thing: how far apart is your southernmost destination from your northernmost? 9,847 miles for me, but it's not got too much of an east-west angle to it, so others will have longer distances.
Hmm, made me look. 13,079 Km, which is 8126.91 miles. You win!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (209.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #73

Farthest south was cruising just south of the South Island, New Zealand.

Farthest North was cruising just inside the Arctic circle when we sailed from safjrur to Hsavk in northern Iceland.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cozumel and likely near the Aleutions on a flight from Seattle to Tokyo.
Been on the northern polar route many times in the air, but I was assuming we had to touch down.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is WAAAAY out there! How many days was your drive to Moscow from there? DH took about a week or so to drive from Ulan Ude to Vladivostok, on the "good" highway. I guess you did some time on the Road of Bones to be that far out.

Very cool.
Wasn't driving from Y-S to Moscow (flew through Seoul, think). I did do a combo road-train trip from Vladivostok to Komsomolsk-on-Amur on another trip. That took two days as I recall. Very interesting trip both on the road (scary) and on the train (different).
Old 02-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Hmm, made me look. 13,079 Km, which is 8126.91 miles. You win!
I first saw "13,079" and didn't notice the "Km" I was going to call BS The maximum (in miles) is about 12,450.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not take a swim, not being prepared as I was on a day tour from Haifa, Israel high-tech town. But a couple of fellows in that tour took a dip, and remarked that the feeling was weird when they tried to swim. I regret now not getting wet myself.

PS. Wikipedia says that Dead Sea's water is almost 10x saltier than the ocean. The water density is 1.24 kg/l or 24% higher than pure water.
You probably saw the fresh water showers right at the beach......used for flushing out one's eyes should the sea water get in them........can be quite painful I hear......me, I didn't try to swim, just floated around.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

South: Punta Arenas, Chile
North: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Old 02-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #79

Cape of Good Hope, SA
Old 02-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

South - Sao Paulo Brazil