Farthest south you have traveled?

South: Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
North: a bit south of Jasper, Canada
East: Kruger National Park, South Africa
West: Cape Flattery, Washington, USA

While the northernmost and southernmost points are unambiguous, the east and west points are not. If you go around the world, east and west get all confused.

I have not gone around the world, so there's still no confusion. Going west from the US, I have been past Jakarta. Going east from the US, I have been to the Dead Sea, or its western shore to be exact.

South - Stewart Island NZ, Ushuaia (twice), Antarctic peninsula
North - Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (quite a drive from Fairbanks)
Highest elevation (not including flight) - top of Mt kilimanjaro (19,340 ft)
Lowest elevation - Badwater Basin Death Valley, CA (-282 ft)
Longest time change on a trip - 11.5 hrs (California to Kathmandu)

Last edited:
Furthest north would probably be Alesund, Norway, though that's actually in the southern part of the country.

Would be cool to see the aurora borealis, maybe some day.

South Martinique 14.6 N
North Fairbanks AK 64.8 N
but later this year will add Bosted Norway 68.2 N

Update
North Bøstad, Norway 68.2 N
South Tierra del Fuego, Chile 53.3 S

North - Husavik, Iceland
South - Invercargill, New Zealand South Island

Cheers!

North - Iceland, 2nd place Churchill, Manitoba - polar bear sightseeing
South - Peru - Cusco and Machu Picchu (Mountain Lodges of Peru hiking 2017)

Hmmm... How about a thread to see who stays in a smallest area in his life? :)

:DHa! that would probably be me, bought my folks house that I grew up in, raised our kids and still live here. Travel some but not much.

South: Te Anau, New Zealand
North: a few miles north of the Arctic Circle sign on the Dalton Highway in Alaska (kept driving so DH could “be sure” we were north of the actual Arctic Circle [emoji23])

In my Alaska RV trip, when we were in Fairbanks I never planned to drive up to the Arctic Circle, let alone further north. The road was bad, and I did not care to get stranded with mechanical failures.

An RV couple whom we made friends with while on the trip drove a Roadtrek, which was a lot smaller than our Class C with a toad. They wanted to go up to the Arctic Circle, but did not want to drive their Roadtrek, so signed up for a day trip with a tour bus company.

They told me it was a long day drive. And the road was full of giant potholes that the minibus had to zigzag around. Did not sound like fun to me.

:DHa! that would probably be me, bought my folks house that I grew up in, raised our kids and still live here. Travel some but not much.

Is your travel radius even smaller than street's?

Have you and street ever wandered north into Canada?

Not a traveler so not very far from where I was born and raised. South I been to Utah once. Washington State to the west and MN a couple of times to the east period.

Boring I know but love where I live and have no desire to go anywhere else. Lol

Last edited:
Treriksröset, border between Norway, Sweden and Finland 69.3N
Auckland NZ 36.8S

An RV couple whom we made friends with while on the trip drove a Roadtrek, which was a lot smaller than our Class C with a toad. They wanted to go up to the Arctic Circle, but did not want to drive their Roadtrek, so signed up for a day trip with a tour company.

It’s funny, when we did that drive it was in our class B Sprinter van, similar in size to a Roadtrek. (We’d test driven a Roadtrek when RV shopping, but got a good deal on the Sprinter). The year we drove it, the Dalton wasn’t too bad, we experienced worse ice heaves on other roads that year. But depending on time of year and equipment, your friends were likely right to be cautious! I will say it wasn’t the most exciting or scenic drive of our Alaska trip [emoji23]

South - Bridgetown, Barbados 13.1030,-59.6293
North - Healy, Ak 63.8815,-149.0197

I need to get into the Southern Hemisphere

Furthest South: Bluff, New Zealand. DW and I hit it up on our way to Dunedin. A quaint little fishing village where you can take a little hike up a small hill to see the views. I remember us touring a little fishing museum there called the Bluff Maritime museum where we learned about the history. I remember touring another city down south in NZ where it was a "jumping off" point to Antarctica expeditions. *I think my wife and I have a picture of us standing next to one of those poles that lists the miles away for some of the larger cities in the world. I need to try and dig that out and post it.

I recall the lady at the Maritime Museum pointing out into the cold waters south of NZ and said to us "Anyone who can fish these waters has a hearty soul". The museum cost $2 to get into and was well worth the price of admission. (Also went to Dunedin).

Furthest North: Reykjavik Airport in Iceland. I stepped outside the airport to get some fresh air and walk around on a layover to Amsterdam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom