Farthest south you have traveled?

North: Iceland
West/East: International Date Line.

Deepest: Gold mine tour near Witwatersrand, Jozi. RSA.

I lived in Hawaii for 11 years, and visited Key West.

Of course, Mexico has a few spot I have been to. Guadalajara, Cancun, Cozumel, Mazatlan, Manzanillo.

Christmas Island (Kiribati) back when it was a closed island and before it became popular and Kwajalein. Smack dab on the equator.

Quepos, Costa Rica soon to be Cusco, Peru south
Fairbanks, north
Hawaii, west
Bermuda, east

Impressive! ;) That must be how you chose your forum name.
East and West?
I don't like to brag, but East - Windsor, ON (international travel! :cool:) and West - Grand Rapids.

I don't like to brag, but East - Windsor, ON (international travel! :cool:) and West - Grand Rapids.

Lucky! You must do all your travel now using accumulated frequent traveler miles. Are you on the Greyhound or the Trailways program? :greetings10:

Back in the day, I'd do 'round the world flights'. Boston>Paris for a few days>Tokyo for a few days>back to Boston.

Did that about 15-20 times. Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise to avoid dizziness.

South Capetown SA. North Edinburgh Scotland.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Looks like the southpoint of Hawaii as well for me.
Had to look at a map to see that Hong Kong and Okinawa were north.

I've only been through northern Mexico. Morocco was well north of Hawaii.

I need to remedy this and hit the southern hemisphere... Good thing Macchu Pichu is on my bucket list... As is Australia.

I had to compare Sydney with Buenos Aires. Sydney won out by 53 minutes.

I had to look this up. Cape Howe near Albany Aus or Cape Peninsula south of Cape Town South Africa. Looks like Cape Howe is just a bit further south. Hmm, what's the furthest southern point in South America? May need to plan a trip.

I had to look this up. Cape Howe near Albany Aus or Cape Peninsula south of Cape Town South Africa. Looks like Cape Howe is just a bit further south. Hmm, what's the furthest southern point in South America? May need to plan a trip.

Cape Howe is at 37 degrees, 30 minutes. Puerto Montt is an interesting city with German heritage, a main port for the south of Chile and is at 41 degrees, 28 minutes south. But you should really go farther, to Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego, at 54 degrees 48 minutes south.

Last edited:
Looks like the southpoint of Hawaii as well for me.
Had to look at a map to see that Hong Kong and Okinawa were north.

Me, too. I admit to checking the map to be sure Fairbanks was north of Reykjavik.

Whitehorse, Yukon on the old school bus in 2014, as part of our circumnavigation.
Milford Sound, South Island of New Zealand in 2006.

DH has driven from one end of Russia to the other, St. Petersburg to Vladivostok, over the course of two rallies. Slightly overrated.

South and north

South = Petermann Isl, Antarctica 2008, 65 degr S Lat
North = Point Barrow, Alaska 2012, 71 deg N lat

My wife has gone as far south as Argentina, but not its southernmost tip. I have gone only as far south as New Zealand.

Many mentioned Hawaii, and it is still way north of the equator at 21.3 deg North. And do you realize that Hawaii is closer to the Aleutian Islands in Alaska than to Los Angeles?

Back
Top Bottom