Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Wasn't driving from Y-S to Moscow (flew through Seoul, think). I did do a combo road-train trip from Vladivostok to Komsomolsk-on-Amur on another trip. That took two days as I recall. Very interesting trip both on the road (scary) and on the train (different).
Interesting! I loved DH's photos and stories from the road to and in Vladivostok, but I imagine a train ride through that part of far east Russia would be fascinating. I rode along with them coming up from Kaz to Irkusk and then down to Ulan Baatar, but skipped the last leg to Vladivostok, much to my disappointment. They said the roads were better than Kazakhstan, which doesn't say much. The moon surface is smoother than those! Lots of truck traffic, though, and very few places for fuel.

Very cool that you've traveled in that area.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had to think about north and check latitudes but it turns out that Fairbanks beats out Helsinki by 300 miles so I'll join the Fairbanks crowd.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Northward, sailed around the island of Jan Mayen.
Jan Mayen Coordinates

Latitude: 70° 59' NorthLongitude: 8° 05' West
Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
South = Guam, 13 deg N lat
North = Barents Sea, 73 deg N lat
I have gone further south than Guam, but have also been to Orote Point in Guam. Just found out that this is the westernmost point in territorial USA, and that it is now called Point Udall, after the former AZ congressman "Mo" Udall.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
You probably saw the fresh water showers right at the beach......used for flushing out one's eyes should the sea water get in them........can be quite painful I hear......me, I didn't try to swim, just floated around.
What I found weird was that when you started walking into the water, it felt like your feet had empty milk jugs tied to them; you could only walk out to less than knee deep before you had to sit down.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Been on the northern polar route many times in the air, but I was assuming we had to touch down.

In that case, Seattle. Glad we didn't touchdown, as that would have been "unscheduled"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
it felt like your feet had empty milk jugs tied to them
I did hear someone say "Hey, look at the jugs on that guy!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #88

In the last few years, I've racked up a couple of "easternmost" locations.

West Quoddy Head State Park in Maine is the easternmost point in the USA. Nice (very old) lighthouse and some fun sea kayaking while I was there. That whole area is cool because of the incredible Bay of Fundy tides. The "West" in its name is confusing, but it's the western shore of the Quoddy Narrows, so actually appropriate.

Cape Spear in Newfoundland is the easternmost point in North America. Beautiful hiking region, and close to the delightful town of St. John's.

Also, I forgot to mention that one of the things I find so fascinating about Death Valley is that it's only 85 miles from Mount Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous USA.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Paradise Bay is pretty south, but I have that beat. I'm not sure where exactly Marc went on the peninsula but unless it was not any farther down than Lemaire Channel, I think I 'win'. Picture from the electronic scrapbook:
Yes, i think you have me beat; southern end of Lemaire Channel was as far as we went.

marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Farthest south you have traveled?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #90

Farthest south you have traveled?

Interesting question.

North: Anchorage (61 deg N)

South: Koh Samui (9 deg N)

I'll probably break furthest north this summer, with a stopover in Reykjavik.

I'll get close to my southern record next month, but I really should plan a trip south of the equator at some point.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #91

I can understand Alaska being the northern-most point for many people, but I would have thought it would be Anchorage, since that's where most cruise ships stop. But why so many of us in Fairbanks? There's really not much to see there...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #92

Auckland, New Zealand for south
Vancouver, Canada for North.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In the last few years, I've racked up a couple of "easternmost" locations.

West Quoddy Head State Park in Maine is the easternmost point in the USA. Nice (very old) lighthouse and some fun sea kayaking while I was there. That whole area is cool because of the incredible Bay of Fundy tides. The "West" in its name is confusing, but it's the western shore of the Quoddy Narrows, so actually appropriate.
Darn, I missed that. I went to Eastport, but it is not as eastern as West Quoddy State Park.

I did take a detour to go to the eastern tip of Campobello Island, but it belongs to Canada. Talked with the Border Patrol there, and they said the international bridge crossing was open 24hrs year round. Interesting, as there was little traffic off season.

Quote:
Also, I forgot to mention that one of the things I find so fascinating about Death Valley is that it's only 85 miles from Mount Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous USA.
+1. Highest and lowest points in contiguous USA so close together!

I had a tough time climbing out of Death Valley going west with my class C pulling a car. At one point, I stopped and told my wife to go sit in the car, ran the engine in Drive, and gently stepped on the gas when I told her so over the walkie talkie. It was to reduce the dead weight that the motorhome had to pull. Oh man! I was so worried about my motorhome breaking down and got me stranded on that slope.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Punta Arenas, Chile 53.17S
Bodo, Norway 67.28N
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Key West for the "classic" picture at the buoy at the southern most point in USA
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Wow - so many folks haven't crossed the equator into the Southern Hemisphere! Watch out for King Neptune!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - so many folks haven't crossed the equator into the Southern Hemisphere! Watch out for King Neptune!
I crossed the summer I turned 6. They blindfolded me, stood me up in front of everyone, and made me eat cold, stale, cooked spaghetti, which they told me was worms. I completely believed it, and what a dreadful experience! I honestly thought I had eaten a dozen or more cold, dead worms. Disgusting!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
king Neptune
Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #98

king Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Kiss a fish!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4864.jpg (457.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4872.jpg (581.8 KB, 7 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

3 degrees N.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #100

Farthest south: Hawaiian islands.
Farthest north: Anchorage.
But in June we are taking a self driving tour all around Iceland. At the northernmost point we will be close to the Arctic Circle. We will be there for the summer solstice.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote