Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The article said to avoid white athletic shoes. When one is standing in museums a lot and walking on pavement a lot, I think one's feet are much more important then fashion statements.

Last trip we regretted not taking some very comfortable track shoes. Next trip we plan on taking them, even in the European cities. BTW, nowadays it's not too hard to get dark colored track shoes although they might come with some wild accent colors. My current ones have bright lime-green laces. Will be wearing them with my REI washable slacks -- the sporty look.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I like Rockport leather walking shoes when we travel. A bit more fashionable than athletic shoes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockp42704_5406_jb1.jpg (39.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't strive to look completely out of place and certainly not like a (complete) slob, but I never really understood trying to blend in like a local. Maybe because I never do anyway - being 6' 6". Try that in Asia!

And while I do like walking in my black Rockport shoes too, my white New Balance sneakers are even more comfortable for long days of walking. I'll see if the Germans and Dutch mock me next month when I visit them...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm going to Italy this summer - I'll have to see how touristy I feel
Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

These are my current running shoes (Brooks Glycerin 10) which I'll wash up and wear in Britain. The Scots will love them!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Imagine, grown-ups worrying over the color of their athletic shoes. Isn't that a sort of...err...teenage issue?

Don't own a scanner, or I'd share a pic of me, in front of the Tower of London, looking fit and happy in blue jeans and white athletic shoes. (They don't make colorful athletic shoes in my size, 7.5EE). Seriously - it is one of the Amethyst clan's favorite pix of me.

The other is of me, dancing in the spray from little random fountains in the plaza in front of the Courtauld Gallery in London. I'm barefoot, wearing black jeans and a little skimpy top and my hair is flying all over. Two young girls are looking at me and smiling. Not mean smiles, either.

Comfort and joy - anyone who sneers at that combo must hate Christmas,too!

Again, fancy restaurants are a different matter. I would show respect for the place itself and other diners by wearing fancier attire.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The article said to avoid white athletic shoes. When one is standing in museums a lot and walking on pavement a lot, I think one's feet are much more important then fashion statements.

Last trip we regretted not taking some very comfortable track shoes. Next trip we plan on taking them, even in the European cities. BTW, nowadays it's not too hard to get dark colored track shoes although they might come with some wild accent colors. My current ones have bright lime-green laces. Will be wearing them with my REI washable slacks -- the sporty look.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #27

I only take my scrubs when traveling around the world to run the free clinics. No fashion issues there :-)

When traveling back to EU, I only take jeans and shirts. I am not interested In fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think for women, traveling, you can get by with one set of "traveler's" clothes from Chico's or equivalent for dress-up. Put on a sparkly shawl or jacket and nice sandals and you're all set for anything. Plus the stuff doesn't wrinkle
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #29

Travel clothes fanny pack to accessorize with.

travel clothes.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Travel clothes fanny pack to accessorize with.

Attachment 16094
Yeah, that's pretty much our uniform traveling anywhere - well sans the fanny pack, and we wear Tilly hats.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Other than that, I think I'm safe from the aforementioned issues. Though I'm a big fan of the zip-off leg pants that dry quickly and look pretty awful.
I love these pants. I have two pairs that I got in 2005 or so and i'm still wearing them as day to day clothes. You can also get pants made of similar material without the zip-off legs that look a little nicer.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I really like these men's pants from REI: REI Adventures Pants - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com

They look nice and are suppose to wash and dry well although I never tried this on the road. The concealed zipper pocket is handy too.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really like these men's pants from REI: REI Adventures Pants - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com

They look nice and are suppose to wash and dry well although I never tried this on the road. The concealed zipper pocket is handy too.
Those look good - thanks for the link!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #34

Quote:
The synthetic fabrics are fantastic. You can wash them in the sink and they will be dry by the next day.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Is this a good place to talk about the magic underwear?
It is the bomb!
Other than that, I think I'm safe from the aforementioned issues. Though I'm a big fan of the zip-off leg pants that dry quickly and look pretty awful.
I've heard of edible underwear but not magic, or perhaps they're one and the same
Cheap but fashionable disposable clothing would be handy. Think about it, you leave with a suitcase full of clothes and return with an empty suitcase or one filled with your overseas shopping.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I thought magic underwear was the kind that Mitt Romney wore.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Nice pants! I will check those out for DH and see if there is a women's version. I like the clothing company ScotteVest, and own one of their nifty multipocket vests (handy when you want to carry stuff but not in a purse or backpack) and bought a pair of their very nice travel cargo pants for DH on sale not long ago. He quite likes them. And still quite a few pockets!

They also make the "magic-style" underwear with a pocket big enough for your passport, though I'm not sure if I want to travel somewhere your passport has to be stored in this way!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #38

For once I have no idea what you mean here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I thought magic underwear was the kind that Mitt Romney wore.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
For once I have no idea what you mean here.
Wikipedia is our friend Temple garment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Temple garment
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A temple garment (also referred to as garments, or Mormon underwear)[2] is a type of underwear worn by a vast majority of adherents of the Latter Day Saint movement, after they have taken part in the Endowment ceremony.

./.

Temple garments are sometimes derided as "magic underwear" by non-Mormons, but Mormons view this terminology to be misleading.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Endowment ceremony?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fashion travel