Fashion problems when traveling

Imagine, grown-ups worrying over the color of their athletic shoes. Isn't that a sort of...err...teenage issue? :LOL:

Don't own a scanner, or I'd share a pic of me, in front of the Tower of London, looking fit and happy in blue jeans and white athletic shoes. (They don't make colorful athletic shoes in my size, 7.5EE). Seriously - it is one of the Amethyst clan's favorite pix of me.

The other is of me, dancing in the spray from little random fountains in the plaza in front of the Courtauld Gallery in London. I'm barefoot, wearing black jeans and a little skimpy top and my hair is flying all over. Two young girls are looking at me and smiling. Not mean smiles, either.

Comfort and joy - anyone who sneers at that combo must hate Christmas,too!

Again, fancy restaurants are a different matter. I would show respect for the place itself and other diners by wearing fancier attire.

Amethyst

The article said to avoid white athletic shoes. When one is standing in museums a lot and walking on pavement a lot, I think one's feet are much more important then fashion statements.

Last trip we regretted not taking some very comfortable track shoes. Next trip we plan on taking them, even in the European cities. BTW, nowadays it's not too hard to get dark colored track shoes although they might come with some wild accent colors. My current ones have bright lime-green laces. Will be wearing them with my REI washable slacks -- the sporty look.

I think for women, traveling, you can get by with one set of "traveler's" clothes from Chico's or equivalent for dress-up. Put on a sparkly shawl or jacket and nice sandals and you're all set for anything. Plus the stuff doesn't wrinkle :)

Travel clothes fanny pack to accessorize with.

travel clothes.jpg

Other than that, I think I'm safe from the aforementioned issues. Though I'm a big fan of the zip-off leg pants that dry quickly and look pretty awful.

I love these pants. I have two pairs that I got in 2005 or so and i'm still wearing them as day to day clothes. You can also get pants made of similar material without the zip-off legs that look a little nicer.

They look nice and are suppose to wash and dry well although I never tried this on the road. The concealed zipper pocket is handy too.

The synthetic fabrics are fantastic. You can wash them in the sink and they will be dry by the next day.

Is this a good place to talk about the magic underwear?
It is the bomb!
Other than that, I think I'm safe from the aforementioned issues. Though I'm a big fan of the zip-off leg pants that dry quickly and look pretty awful.

I've heard of edible underwear but not magic, or perhaps they're one and the same:LOL:
Cheap but fashionable disposable clothing would be handy. Think about it, you leave with a suitcase full of clothes and return with an empty suitcase or one filled with your overseas shopping.

I thought magic underwear was the kind that Mitt Romney wore.

I really like these men's pants from REI: REI Adventures Pants - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com

They look nice and are suppose to wash and dry well although I never tried this on the road. The concealed zipper pocket is handy too.

Nice pants! I will check those out for DH and see if there is a women's version. I like the clothing company ScotteVest, and own one of their nifty multipocket vests (handy when you want to carry stuff but not in a purse or backpack) and bought a pair of their very nice travel cargo pants for DH on sale not long ago. He quite likes them. And still quite a few pockets!

They also make the "magic-style" underwear with a pocket big enough for your passport, though I'm not sure if I want to travel somewhere your passport has to be stored in this way!

For once I have no idea what you mean here.
Wikipedia is our friend Temple garment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temple garment
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A temple garment (also referred to as garments, or Mormon underwear)[2] is a type of underwear worn by a vast majority of adherents of the Latter Day Saint movement, after they have taken part in the Endowment ceremony.

./.

Temple garments are sometimes derided as "magic underwear" by non-Mormons, but Mormons view this terminology to be misleading.

The synthetic fabrics are fantastic. You can wash them in the sink and they will be dry by the next day.
They really last too. The nylon, that is. That's pretty much all we wear. We never wear jeans.

I really like these men's pants from REI: REI Adventures Pants - Men's 32" Inseam at REI.com

My husband likes the pants from Royal Robbins - similar.

These are the ones he prefers to use "in the field" - i.e. out photographing wildlife. Royal Robbins - Zip N' Go Pant

Me - I love the Exofficio Nio Amphi pants for traveling. Light nylon and they have a coating (something like Teflon) that repels water and stains. Really amazing pants, and last forever. I just wish I could find more colors in my size! Women's Nio Amphi

Also have several pairs of the REI Sahara pants. That's what I wear out in the field.

Nice pants and quick drying underwear are great, but what about shoes and sandals that are comfortable? The original article made fun of white running shoes and some other silly footwear, but in reality it is my feet that are often the limiting factor in how long I am out during the day and how comfortable I am.

What types of shoes, socks and sandals do people wear when traveling?

When flying I always wear slip on boat shoes/docksiders, easy on and off for TSA. Low cut hiking shoes/boots, always have water shoes,or sandals. No socks with docksiders.

Alaska will be difficult for us in June, mostly because we don't have raingear, only a dollar plastic poncho in our daypack for here in AZ. I do have Redball boots, from my winery days, and neoprene booties and paddling gloves for kayaking. I have a goretex running suit somewhere, I have to check it out.

My inventory sounds like Grasshoppers. However, I'm usually faced with wearing the hikers through the airport to save space in my pack.

Vasque short hiking boots for colder places, and Teva closed toe "water" type shoes in warmer places. If space permits, I'll also bring Tevas that are open sandals (but still with secure heel strap), but mostly for hanging out rather than walking. It is very important for me to protect my feet from injury when we are out adventuring, because we have to be able to hoof it out of somewhere without backup.

I carry Coolmax socks that can be washed and dried overnight, and will wear them with the water shoes (total dork) if I must.

Note: Threadjack ahead

When flying I always wear slip on boat shoes/docksiders, easy on and off for TSA.
While I certainly understand this, I do precisely the opposite for safety reasons.

If I should be one of the tiny percent of commercial passengers who are involved in an accident, I want to be sure my shoes don't fly off so I won't be barefoot when I attempt to get out of the aircraft. Before you say, "Who survives an aircraft accident?", note that an overwhelming majority of passengers do:

Looking at all the commercial airline accidents between 1983 and 2000, the National Transportation Safety Board found that 95.7% of the people involved survived. Even when they narrowed down to look at only the worst accidents, the overall survival rate was 76.6%. Yes, some plane crashes kill everyone on board. But those aren't the norm. So you're even safer than you think. Not only are crashes incredibly rare, you're more likely to survive a crash than not. In fact, out of 568 accidents during those 17 years, only 71 resulted in any fatalities at all.
Surviving a plane crash is surprisingly common

I believe the accident rate has improved since these stats were published.
However, I'm usually faced with wearing the hikers through the airport to save space in my pack.
And maybe your @ss. :)

I cringe when I see folks get on a plane wearing sandals or flip-flops...

Last edited:
Ah, REW, good point and not one I'd considered as I heft my reasonably mid-weight hikers on and off at the TSA checkpoint. Fortunately they are also very comfortable, just in case I need to outrun my fellow passengers in a Donner Pass-type situation later.

While I certainly understand this, I do precisely the opposite for safety reasons.

If I should be one of the tiny percent of commercial passengers who are involved in an accident, I want to be sure my shoes don't fly off so I won't be barefoot when I attempt to get out of the aircraft. Before you say, "Who survives an aircraft accident?", note that an overwhelming majority of passengers do:

I will remember that when I am strapped into my airline seat, and I am plummeting to earth from 33000 ft with the wind at my back.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom