Join Early Retirement Today

Favorite national park?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
gone traveling

Favorite national park?

My goal is to see all the National Parks in the US before I expire... Here is streaming video of Yellowstone, my personal favorite: (so far)

NPS Streaming Video

Anyone here have a favorite park or photos to share?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up about 80 miles from Yellowstone and have been there many times. I must admit that I fell in love with the Grand Canyon on my first trip there this year and think of it as my favorite.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Grand Tetons might be our favorite, but then there is the Olympic Peninsula.....

There are so many fabulous ones, it's hard to name a fave

Audrey
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
My goal is to see all the National Parks in the US before I expire... Here is streaming video of Yellowstone, my personal favorite: (so far)

NPS Streaming Video

Anyone here have a favorite park or photos to share?

I am sure someone will google this... but how many are there?

Are you going to visit the National Seashores also?

I have to admit that the Grand Canyon was ranked higher for me than Yellowstone... but both are at the very top... I went to Yellowstone a year or two after the big fires in the 70s or 80s..

HMMMMM, I wonder how many I have been to see Some will make me think for awhile... as some I did a 'drive by'...

I am not sure this is one.... but for sheer destruction... Mt. St. Helena park was very interesting... I went there a year or two after the big bang...

hmmm, there is a trend here... but I saw 9/11 live, so that changes it I guess....
Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

I love your goal and hope to share it when I'm FIRE'd. For now, I've been to several. My favortie of those without a doubt is Glacier NP. Awesome hiking, scenery, and wildlife. And it is remote and seemingly less traveled than beautiful parks like Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. The glaciers are melting quickly and it is said they will all be gone by 2032. Two great hikes I'd recommend there are Grinnel Glacier and Iceberg Lake. Best hikes ever.

Honarable mention of the parks I've seen goes to Redwoods NP, Zion NP, and Grand Tetons NP.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've never been to the western national parks, except a tiny piece of the Grand Canyon near Las Vegas. LH and I took a thrilling helicopter ride to the bottom. The pilot grinned when he did a quick drop over the edge. Wooohooooooo! I remember looking down at the entire canyon from a commercial airliner on the way to CA.

My favorite is Cape Cod National Seashore, in particular Race Point Beach. I spent 2 childhood vacations, my honeymoon and have been back many times for my birthday in the fall when the crowds are gone.
dh2b has never been. I need to fix that.

2nd favorite is Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
2nd favorite is Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side.
I'm focusing on the Parks first- although in defence of the Canadians some of the Parques are quite nice ... the fall colours in NS are a favourite programme of mine
Old 11-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am sure someone will google this... but how many are there?
58 National Parks
74 National Monuments
391 Total NPS Units (seashores, parkways, etc)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I was 20 yo I did one lap of America during a 6 month period, living out of an Econoline. I stopped at every National Park and Monument that I reasonably could. One of my favorites is Big Bend National Park in Texas. But they are all so beautiful and diverse, it is like trying to pick a favorite child.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was 20 yo I did one lap of America during a 6 month period, living out of an Econoline. I stopped at every National Park and Monument that I reasonably could. One of my favorites is Big Bend National Park in Texas. But they are all so beautiful and diverse, it is like trying to pick a favorite child.
Travelover, do you have any site recommendations for Big Bend? Although I live in Dallas ironically enough I've never been to Big Bend. But we are planning on going next year (maybe around Spring Break) and renting a Class C RV to experience that lifestyle as well. I know very little about Big Bend but glad to hear you liked it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a kid my folks threw me in the car and we visited the Tetons, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. etc. every summer. Personally, I loved the Tetons and the area around Jackson Hole, Wyoming, to a point I'd live there IF I could afford it...my gosh! check the prices for that city...yikes!!!!$$$
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I agree. Big Bend was great for riding the on-off road cycles:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #13

My current favorite is Yellowstone. There earlier in Oct after coming over Beartooth Highway. Despite 8 let them burn fires in the park, smoke, road closures, a snow storm and barely getting my butt and the little Honda out of there over the pass to Cody, it was awesome and that's what I kept saying to myself and to anyone near me.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Travelover, do you have any site recommendations for Big Bend? Although I live in Dallas ironically enough I've never been to Big Bend. But we are planning on going next year (maybe around Spring Break) and renting a Class C RV to experience that lifestyle as well. I know very little about Big Bend but glad to hear you liked it.
You may have different preferences, but coming from the Midwest I love the desert. I like to spend time at lower elevations in the heat then retreat up to the coolness of the Chisos Basin. There is also a spectacular trail ride that goes to an overlook of the Rio Grande and miles into Mexico. The last time I was there we saw peregrine falcons soaring off these cliffs. Spring break is the most crowded time at this park, which is usually pretty empty (for a national park). Birding is excellent in the spring, if you are in to that.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I would toss Rocky Mountain National in there. Not sure if it is a national park, but the Great Sand Dunes is simply amazing.

I imagine that I will be hitting many national parks in retirement. In the meantime we have had a great time in state parks and state forests in NY, NJ and PA. Never thought I would see an old growth hemlock forest, but there it is in central PA (and it was gorgeous).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to many National Parks but choose Muir Woods National Monument as a favorite because I can get there by public transit and great restaurant food can be had within a one to two hour drive. Why cook it yourself? J/k, I understand the joys of RVing, hauling, hooking up, cooking, meeting other RVers, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5427.jpg (970.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5439.jpg (915.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The Grand Canyon ! It was so much more awesome in person !
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The Grand Canyon ! It was so much more awesome....
I remember sitting on the rim, everyone else was asleep, it was pitch dark but I knew what was there, listening to "The Grand Canyon Suite" on a walkman--remember those?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #19

Of the many Nat'l Parks that I've been to, I definitely liked loved Glacier N.P. the absolute best!!! We stayed in the park at Many Glacier Lodge....so peaceful, quiet, serene....no TV in the rooms....no cellphone annoyance service....BEAUTIFUL scenery....oodles of wildlife....magnificent wild flowers!!! Just AWESOME!!!

There's so much beauty to see at Glacier, I could there a zillion times and never tire of it!!!

Bryce and the Everglades are tied for 2nd place. However, Glacier is my #1 choice!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Webcam page: Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Webcams (U.S. National Park Service)