Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well now that I'm married I've picked up the routine.

February - Port Aransas Texas Gulf with side trips to Mission TX or the other way to Cajun country , Breaux Bridge or into New Orleans since we have people we can visit.

July - Park Rapids MN on a lake.

August - usually a family reunion type event - last year Plam Springs CA this year Annapolis MD.

August/September ish somewhere near the Olympic National Park in Washington state.

Now as for my favs having been born/raised Pacific Northwest outside Portland and Mt Saint Helens - I of course am learning love for da city aka Kansas City and the Midwest Plains although my favorite of the last year is the Palouse area around Pulman WA.

Right now declining an invite from friends to take the lawn chairs to a park 10 minutes away and watch A Winter's Tale outdoor Shakespeare doo lolly.

heh heh heh - need to quit interneting and get outside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Unclemick, you are one of those spritely one's having all the fun.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oregon Coast

Hilton Head

Olympic Peninsula/San Juan Islands
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Colorado mountains summer/fall
Hawaii
Glacier National Park in Montana
Moab, Utah
CA & Oregon coast
Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

The Grand Canyon is indeed a fine vacation destination, but to truly experience it, you gotta be looking up from the bottom, not down from the top.
A Grand Canyon river trip is a life time experience. Figure to do it right you want 2 weeks for the entire trip, and you want a small group. Whitewater boatman!

Puget Sound and the Islands? YES. Plenty of private charters at reasonable rates to explore them like it's supposed to be explored.

The Oregon coast is a really nice drive, say from Puget sound alllll the way to California. Glorious!

If you're into airplanes, Pima Air Museum in Tucson, Arizona has planes no one else does; a true hidden gem for aficionados. Get up close and personal to the SR-71 See the ONLY B-36 remaining. how about the Russian B-29? Ever even heard of one? They have one at Pima. Or, how about the B-52 that dropped the X-1 when it broke the speed of sound the first time?

And there's a special cabin high in the Tetons that will always be my favorite getaway.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #46
gone traveling

After experiencing the OR coast for the first time, it has moved to occupy the top of the list along with Canyonlands and Glacier National Parks. Yes, the OR coast is a great drive, but the real magic happens when you get out of the car. Cape Perpetua at high tide is a great example. Rialto Beach and the Olympic Peninsula was a blast as well. Visited Yellowstone again and had the same impression as the first time ... I prefer the National Parks where everywhere you turn is rewarding ... don't care for the Yellowstone "park here to see this" scene.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

The southern parts of the Outer Banks NC (Hatteras and Ocracoke).
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

**Martha's Vineyard
**New Orleans
**New Mexico
**Las Vegas, Nevada
**Black Hills, South Dakota
**Lake Tahoe
Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vancouver, BC
Chicago
Las Vegas
New York
New Orleans
Washington, DC
Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area/Quetico Provincial Park
Glacier National Park
Tetons National Park
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Olympic Peninsula
Ozark National Scenic Riverways area
Banff to Jasper and the entire Icefields Parkway in between
Rocky Mountain National Park
Denali, Alaska
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Alaska
Cozumel, MX

And more yet to be discovered ...
Old 08-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #50

Our trip on the Cassiar Highway in British Columbia was the best road trip I've ever had. Highly recommended!

And the Green River Gorge area (basically the most direct route from Grand Teton to Moab) has some wonderful sections and amazing remote camping opportunities.

Both of these were practically deserted, which was an even bigger plus!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Earlier this month I made a drive up through central VA and the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah Mountains area. I was struck once again (had been here years ago) by the amazing beauty and many "draws" to the area: the history, the grandeur of nature, and the varied culture. I felt very much at home here but then I love mountains and greenery and yet with the advantages of living so close to all the amenities of civilization. I can see why the Charlottesville area attracts both young and old.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #52

Just found out it'll be showers in Alaska when I'm there next week. Still gonna hike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #53

Going to the Michigan UP next week. Don't really know anything about that area of the country. Guess they call themselves Yoopers up there. My wife put together a basic itinerary although I don't know what it is. We will see if this makes for a nice vacation spot. Anyone have any strong recommendations for 'must do's' in this area?

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Obviously, you must enjoy a pasty or two (pronounced PASS-tee).
The fishing is also great up there, if you like that.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore can be spectacular.
I like the UP very much and visit as often as I can. But it's a big place and there is too much to describe without knowing where you will be and what you like to do.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Obviously, you must enjoy a pasty or two (pronounced PASS-tee).
Not to be confused with the other type of "pasties or pasty" you might find! Was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB many moons ago and used to always get those two mixed up!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Going to the Michigan UP next week. Don't really know anything about that area of the country. Guess they call themselves Yoopers up there. My wife put together a basic itinerary although I don't know what it is. We will see if this makes for a nice vacation spot. Anyone have any strong recommendations for 'must do's' in this area?

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If you're into history (especially mining history), take a drive to Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula, and stop by the Keweenaw National Historical Park visitor center. The exhibits and videos there provide a nice introduction to the other historical sites in the area. While you're up there, take the scenic drive to Copper Harbor on the tip of the peninsula.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #57

I just got back from a trip to Sequoia Nat'l park. Gorgious. Plus some really cool caves there. We did the Crystal Cave tour (again) and loved it.

But my favorite is Glacier nat'l park. We stayed at an older motel w/kitchenttes right on Lake McDonald. The view was spectacular. There were these wonderful little rocks for skipping on the lake. Lovely lovely lovely views.

I like urban places too - like NYC.... but I really love Glacier Nat'l Park.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I'm in the UP right now, staying on Lake Superior about 10 miles east of Marquette. The stretch of shoreline between Marquette and Grand Marais is my favorite area for the scenery. And Marquette is a lovely college town with lots going on.

But as another poster said, it's a big area, from the Porcupine Mountains and Hurley-Ironwood in the west to the Soo and St. Ignace in the east. To me, the best part of the UP is along the Superior shore, but St. Ignace and Mackinac Island are worth at least an overnight stay.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Believe it or not......... Disney World.

With a now-9 year old son, we started going when he was 5 and spend a little over two weeks each Thanksgiving holiday at Disney World. I actually enjoy it, keeps you in a "young" frame of mind. Not to mention it can be a relatively inexpensive extended vacation for three if able to get discounts and free dining.

As he gets older I plan on introducing him to another of my favorites, the North Padre Island National Seashore. Camping on the beach, surf fishing, driftwood camp fires, relatively simple things that create lasting memories.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I just got back from a trip to Sequoia Nat'l park. Gorgious. Plus some really cool caves there. We did the Crystal Cave tour (again) and loved it.

But my favorite is Glacier nat'l park. We stayed at an older motel w/kitchenttes right on Lake McDonald. The view was spectacular. There were these wonderful little rocks for skipping on the lake. Lovely lovely lovely views.

I like urban places too - like NYC.... but I really love Glacier Nat'l Park.
Yesterday we too got back from a trip to Sequoia NP. Got some great photos my wife has been sending out via Facebook and email. People from other parts of the world/country have a hard time believing how really huge these trees are, especially when you are standing next to them. In addition some photos of a resting marmot, a bear family (mom with two cubs), chipmunks, squirrels, waterfalls, tree lined lake Hume, Crystal Cave formations. For all this we paid with some very tired cramped legs from all the walking. But was certainly worth it.

We were there midweek and could have been in Europe for all the Europeans we saw there. Seems Americans just don't appreciate their National Parks. We heard people speaking French, German, Chinese, Filipino, Russian, Arabic I think and other languages I could not make out. Clearly the majority were tourists from other countries. Maybe most of the Americans just wait for the weekend, I don't know, we left Saturday morning.

Got a chance to talk to a guy from Paris France (helped him figure out the gas buying thing here), told him we would be visiting his city next year hopefully. Wish I had a chance to talk to more of them there about their travels here, but we were always off to the next site.