Favorite Vacation Places in No America

Earlier this month I made a drive up through central VA and the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah Mountains area. I was struck once again (had been here years ago) by the amazing beauty and many "draws" to the area: the history, the grandeur of nature, and the varied culture. I felt very much at home here but then I love mountains and greenery and yet with the advantages of living so close to all the amenities of civilization. I can see why the Charlottesville area attracts both young and old.

Just found out it'll be showers in Alaska when I'm there next week. Still gonna hike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Going to the Michigan UP next week. Don't really know anything about that area of the country. Guess they call themselves Yoopers up there. My wife put together a basic itinerary although I don't know what it is. We will see if this makes for a nice vacation spot. Anyone have any strong recommendations for 'must do's' in this area?

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Obviously, you must enjoy a pasty or two (pronounced PASS-tee).
The fishing is also great up there, if you like that.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore can be spectacular.
I like the UP very much and visit as often as I can. But it's a big place and there is too much to describe without knowing where you will be and what you like to do.

Going to the Michigan UP next week. Don't really know anything about that area of the country. Guess they call themselves Yoopers up there. My wife put together a basic itinerary although I don't know what it is. We will see if this makes for a nice vacation spot. Anyone have any strong recommendations for 'must do's' in this area?

Muir

If you're into history (especially mining history), take a drive to Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula, and stop by the Keweenaw National Historical Park visitor center. The exhibits and videos there provide a nice introduction to the other historical sites in the area. While you're up there, take the scenic drive to Copper Harbor on the tip of the peninsula.

I just got back from a trip to Sequoia Nat'l park. Gorgious. Plus some really cool caves there. We did the Crystal Cave tour (again) and loved it.

But my favorite is Glacier nat'l park. We stayed at an older motel w/kitchenttes right on Lake McDonald. The view was spectacular. There were these wonderful little rocks for skipping on the lake. Lovely lovely lovely views.

I like urban places too - like NYC.... but I really love Glacier Nat'l Park.

I'm in the UP right now, staying on Lake Superior about 10 miles east of Marquette. The stretch of shoreline between Marquette and Grand Marais is my favorite area for the scenery. And Marquette is a lovely college town with lots going on.

But as another poster said, it's a big area, from the Porcupine Mountains and Hurley-Ironwood in the west to the Soo and St. Ignace in the east. To me, the best part of the UP is along the Superior shore, but St. Ignace and Mackinac Island are worth at least an overnight stay.

Believe it or not......... Disney World.

With a now-9 year old son, we started going when he was 5 and spend a little over two weeks each Thanksgiving holiday at Disney World. I actually enjoy it, keeps you in a "young" frame of mind. Not to mention it can be a relatively inexpensive extended vacation for three if able to get discounts and free dining.

As he gets older I plan on introducing him to another of my favorites, the North Padre Island National Seashore. Camping on the beach, surf fishing, driftwood camp fires, relatively simple things that create lasting memories.

I just got back from a trip to Sequoia Nat'l park. Gorgious. Plus some really cool caves there. We did the Crystal Cave tour (again) and loved it.

But my favorite is Glacier nat'l park. We stayed at an older motel w/kitchenttes right on Lake McDonald. The view was spectacular. There were these wonderful little rocks for skipping on the lake. Lovely lovely lovely views.

I like urban places too - like NYC.... but I really love Glacier Nat'l Park.

Yesterday we too got back from a trip to Sequoia NP. Got some great photos my wife has been sending out via Facebook and email. People from other parts of the world/country have a hard time believing how really huge these trees are, especially when you are standing next to them. In addition some photos of a resting marmot, a bear family (mom with two cubs), chipmunks, squirrels, waterfalls, tree lined lake Hume, Crystal Cave formations. For all this we paid with some very tired cramped legs from all the walking. But was certainly worth it.

We were there midweek and could have been in Europe for all the Europeans we saw there. Seems Americans just don't appreciate their National Parks. We heard people speaking French, German, Chinese, Filipino, Russian, Arabic I think and other languages I could not make out. Clearly the majority were tourists from other countries. Maybe most of the Americans just wait for the weekend, I don't know, we left Saturday morning.

Got a chance to talk to a guy from Paris France (helped him figure out the gas buying thing here), told him we would be visiting his city next year hopefully. Wish I had a chance to talk to more of them there about their travels here, but we were always off to the next site.

Last edited:
Yesterday we too got back from a trip to Sequoia NP. Got some great photos my wife has been sending out via Facebook and email. People from other parts of the world/country have a hard time believing how really huge these trees are, especially when you are standing next to them.

+1

I absolutely LOVED our visit to Sequoia NP- great trails through forests, and to the tops of rocky mounts- and the size of those trees is astounding. My favorite video clips just show a tree without anyone for scale in the frame, then someone walks up to the tree and it is shocking that no matter how big people expect the tree is, it turns out to be much much bigger than they imagined when they have a person to compare for scale.

+1
I absolutely LOVED our visit to Sequoia NP- great trails through forests, and to the tops of rocky mounts- and the size of those trees is astounding. My favorite video clips just show a tree without anyone for scale in the frame, then someone walks up to the tree and it is shocking that no matter how big people expect the tree is, it turns out to be much much bigger than they imagined when they have a person to compare for scale.

Great Idea! I wish I had thought of it. Will do that next time we get a chance to make another trip up there.

Right now our favorite short road trip is Hermann, MO. They have several wineries (including Stone Hill) and a brewery and the town has a lot of history. They've managed to preserve the history without going overboard. The Katy Trail goes through the area. It's paved, which means I've got perfect bicycling conditions: smooth and level! DH and I visit the wineries, walk through town, and then he rests with a good book while I bicycle. We have a favorite B&B which serves fantastic breakfasts; the hens on the property are the source of the eggs. For 3 days we forget about cholesterol.

We're leaving for there on Thursday and I realized that, unlike past years when we left after work and got there about 9:30 PM, now that I'm retired we can leave at noon and get there in daylight! More time to enjoy it!

Favorite places? Alaska and Yukon, Colorado, Montana, Michigan and UP, Maine, New York (not city) , Alabama and Georgia, and many places in between. NFs in Kentucky and Tennesee are good, as well, depending on the season. We prefer off-season. Anyplace there are forests, mountains, lakes, wildlife, and a dearth of people....

Muir

Ok. Just wrapping up our trip to the Michigan UP. One last night in Detroit before flying out. So, here is my Muir review :)

We spent almost 2 days on Mackinac island. I really enjoyed this. Heard of it but never knew much. Fun place with good shopping. Relaxing since no cars are allowed. The horses and carriages give it a feeling of going back in time. Didn't stay in the Grand Hotel but toured it. Very impressive with old time feel and old wealth. The road that goes around the island is 8 miles long. Being a runner I read Runners World magazine. Every issue they put on a feature called a 'rave run'. It's always someone running through a pretty area. For me, doing the 8 mile run around Mackinac was my rave run. I loved it. Later, DW and I rode bikes around that same road and it was quite fun.

Next went up to Sault St Marie and briefly watched some boats go through the Soo locks. Then drove to the Pictured Rocks Natl Seashore. This was a very fun area. I love to hike and we took some very decent hikes. Not particularly challenging since the area is not mountainous like we are used to when hiking. But it was pretty and had nice destinations. I was particularly impressed with Chapel Rock. We also took a sunset cruise out of Munising to see the pictured rocks seashore from the ocean side. That was actually very nice. Overall, given the increased outdoor activity level this may have been my highlight.

Lastly, we went all the way up Keeweenaw Pennisula to Copper Harbor. Stayed at Keeweenaw Mountain Lodge which was a nice cabin. Enjoyed this very much. Lots of lighthouses and mining history. Pretty coastline.

Overall impression. Lots of driving! The UP is not small. It has a feel like a 51st state. It's funny, I felt almost like I was in another country. It's just a geographical area I've never associated with the US. I've paid no attention. So, I learned a lot. About the UP and the Great Lakes. Lake Superior is intimidating. Tried 2 pasties. Don't like them very much. Why don't they put more meat in them? And maybe some cheese. Abdul what's up with rhudabaker? Anyway, being from Texas I'm probably trying to turn them into an Empanada. Lots of trees in the UP. Very pretty. Two weeks later and we would have caught the fall colors in full bloom. But it was already very cold. Two more weeks might have been too cold for us. They like their fudge, pasties, smoked fish, whitefish, and big boy restaurants up here.

Glad we went. Thanks for the advice from those who gave it. Yooper land was pretty cool.

Muir

Back
Top Bottom