Join Early Retirement Today

Fender bender with rental car
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fender bender with rental car

My wife and I, along with my sister and brother in law, just recently returned from 3 weeks in Hawaii. Great trip! Unfortunately during the trip I had a fender bender in a parking lot with a Hertz rental car. Very minor damage to the other car but quarter panel on our rental car was severely damaged. I called the police and they wrote a report. We went back to Hertz and they wrote a damage report and we got a different vehicle. I then called my insurance agent to see how to handle this. They said I needed to handle the settlement directly with Hertz, then I could file a claim with my auto insurance.
Here's a complicating factor: The rental car contract was in my brother in law's name and I was listed as an alternate driver. He paid the rental with his credit card. He did not purchase any of the insurance offered by Hertz, figuring our own auto insurance would cover any damages, or as an alternate the credit card benefit includes collision coverage.
Its been about three weeks and I have not heard from Hertz.
Any suggestions how to handle this? Should I file against my own auto insurance? Can my brother in law file against his credit card?

PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You were the driver on record. Since you filed a police report stating that fact I donít know why his credit card would cover it. In my eyes youíre responsible for this and would submit to your insurance company

Old 09-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Don't assume the credit card won't cover it. File the claim and find out. There is zero downside and significant upside to this.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

I believe in the US, the credit card coverage is for whatever the driver's own insurance doesn't cover (ie, deductible).

Maybe call your agent and discuss in detail?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I believe in the US, the credit card coverage is for whatever the driver's own insurance doesn't cover (ie, deductible).

Maybe call your agent and discuss in detail?
Depends on the card. Most are secondary, but some of the higher end ones offer primary coverage. I know Chase specifically has some that are primary.

The brother-in-law needs to read his credit card agreement and find out who and what is covered before anyone files a claim. My credit cards both cover any "authorized driver named on the rental agreement", which it sounds like PatSea was. If BIL has a similar card agreement with primary coverage, then there's no need for PatSea to get his agent involved at all. If the card is secondary coverage, then you have to file a claim with both.

BIL needs to figure this out very soon though. Claims against credit card insurance have short windows for filing and the hard part is going to be getting Hertz to cough up enough documentation to satisfy the cc's insurance co within their required time limits. He may end up paying things like "loss of use" out of pocket just because the rental cos are terrible about providing adequate proof of these amounts.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I thought authorized drivers were covered. But again review credit card coverage.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:10 AM   #7

The claim needs to go to the brother in law's insurance company--if he has collision insurance. The credit card insurance is secondary.

Even if CDW had been purchased, it's also secondary to one's personal auto policy in our country. CDW almost seems to be just another profit center for the rental company--because it is.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The credit card insurance may be secondary. The card I use for car rental is primary.

If CDW is purchased through the rental car company I’m pretty sure that’s primary.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had a accident years ago with a rental car . Alamo took all the information . I then called my credit card and my car insurance . My credit card covered most of it and the rest was covered by my car insurance .It was settled pretty quickly .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Years ago (1979 or 80) I had an accident with a rental car, on business. I was always told to decline the CDW, so I had. A few years later I got a call from a former Co-worker (I was at a new employer, in a different state) who said he got a call from a collection agency. I called them back. They demanded I pay them something like $1000 with no back up and no accounting. I told them, that it was not my responsibility, and since they did not know where I lived, they could pound sand (this was before caller ID etc.).

I probably took a hit on my credit rating, but back then there was no easy access to find out. I never heard from them again.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the responses. If the rental contract was in my name and if I had paid for the rental on my credit card I think the path forward would be much simpler. Although I am responsible for the damages, it's not clear how the insurance coverage works in a case like this.
PatSea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

If Hertz has not called, don't stir the pot.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #13

It'll be interesting to hear how it works out. I'm curious too!

Somewhat related story: I was on a business trip. Rented the car at the airport, drove to the hotel, turned the car over to the valet. End of visit, had the valet bring the car around, drove back to the airport. Got on the car rental shuttle bus and waited for it to leave for the terminal. Drove by the passenger side of "my" rental car on the way out.

There was a huge dent in the side!

Yes, I'd inspected the car when I picked it up. Must have been the valet, or another vehicle in the parking garage where the valet had left it. Of course I never looked at the passenger side before I returned it.

Funny thing, I never heard a word. Maybe the corporate folks handled it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ok, here it is 7 weeks after the fender bender and I have heard nothing from Hertz. I don't plan to contact them, but I'm concerned about the amount they might eventually charge for "loss of use" of the vehicle. Any thoughts?

PatSea32 is offline   Reply With Quote