Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
When I used mileage points to pay for air tickets, I always phoned late at night and spoke to a human. I usually called after 10 pacific time.

The workers were often former flight attendants and enjoyed searching for me. They would sometimes give me great info on modestly-priced hotels and restaurants.

gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm nostalgic for the days when I simply called (or stopped into) a travel agent. I hate the process of self-searching and booking though I know some folks find this process quite enjoyable and rewarding. I personally find it boring and stressful all at the same time. I do it because it DOES save a LOT of money in many cases.

One of the few things I would enjoy about being truly "rich" (lets say a stash of $25 mil or a guaranteed income of say $1 mil/year) would be to either call an agent and tell them what I wanted to do and leave my Ultra-Platinum CC number with them to make the arrangements - or if I really want to dream, I would charter my own "Net-Jets" or similar.

But back to reality for a moment, I'm sensing a trend (here on the forum) toward booking directly with the airlines - even going so far as to call them. I'm just becoming familiar (not necessarily comfortable) with going through the Expedias and Travelocities of the world. Next time, I will try the direct approach and see how it compares with the "other guys." Thanks to all for the learning experience.

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You can watch airfares on Matrix - ITA Software by Google You cannot purchase tickets there, but you can figure out the best flights for you--minimizing transfers and keeping down time spent in airports, etc.

I also watch for bargain airfares. I also go on Wikipedia to figure out what airlines fly to where I want to go--especially low fare budget airlines.

We just returned from our third overseas trip in just over a year--traveling for half the airfare most travelers spend.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #44
I agree, if I won the lottery (hard to do when you don't buy a ticket, I guess) I'd want to get in with Netjets.

Interestingly, after despairing that is ever find much use for my small cache of Delta "sky pesos", I booked a couple of one-ways from Charleston to/from Sacramento for 12,500 points each for next month. Not too bad, I think.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote