Join Early Retirement Today

Finding the cheapest flight
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finding the cheapest flight

We wanted to book a flight around xmas, so I used the following algorithm to find the best fare:

1) Went to kayak.com and used their flexible date feature to find the best time to go (used +/- 3 days on both leave date and return data).

2) Went to farecast.com to check on their fare prediction for the chosen dates. They said wait, so we waited a few days. Fares dropped today, and we saved about $300 by waiting.

Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com

Farecast | Airfare Predictions, Find Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets

Are there any improvements that can be made to this algorithm?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I usually go to the airline's website too. At the least, I know US Airways gives 500 extra miles when you book through their site.

And not all sites include Southwest.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I usually go to the airline's website too. At the least, I know US Airways gives 500 extra miles when you book through their site.

And not all sites include Southwest.
US Airways is known for canceling flights at the last moment when they are not fully booked. This has happened to my son several times in the last few years which has cost him dearly my having to go to another provider at the last moment. He has now scratched US Airways off his list of providers. While advertised price is good, final price is too high.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the benefits of ER is flexibility with dates. As a frequent flyer, I get emails all the time with bargain flights for my preferred destinations. Too bad I am usually too busy to take advantage of them! I accumulate frequent flyer points pretty fast with a credit card that gives me 1 point per $ and use them for personal trips. That's one perq I will miss in ER.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
US Airways is known for canceling flights at the last moment when they are not fully booked. This has happened to my son several times in the last few years which has cost him dearly my having to go to another provider at the last moment. He has now scratched US Airways off his list of providers. While advertised price is good, final price is too high.
Interesting, since we live in their hub Phoenix, we have not had that problem. All the four US Airways flights we went on this year were 100% booked with calls for volunteers.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Interesting, since we live in their hub Phoenix, we have not had that problem. All the four US Airways flights we went on this year were 100% booked with calls for volunteers.
My son lives in Albuquerque, NM. His last 2 scheduled flights this year on US Airways were canceled hours before intended take off. The last one in the latter part of July almost ruin a week-long family backpacking trip. There was only one flight scheduled out that day and the airlines said there was only one flight the next day but he would have go standby. He ended up paying more than double to get another flight. Had a problem with US Airways last year also. Cheapest price is not always the least expensive.

Being that Phoenix is a hub is probably why you have not experienced any problems.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Usually the hubs have full flights because they are hubs...

I will never fly US Air again... had a flight to Montreal with a connection in Phily... we got to Phily and the connecting flight was 'delayed'... the time came and went.. 4 more hours of waiting.. THEN they tell us at 10 PM they were canceling the flight... they are responsible to pay for a hotel etc.. but only had ONE person working on making flights for the next morning and giving our vouchers... about 1 AM we finally get a voucher.. but no food.. take a trip to the hotel and get a few hours of sleep as our flight is at 7 AM... we then fly to Vancouver and then to Montreal... and guess what.. NO BAGS... and we were supposed to go to a wedding that night...

Next... they took 5 days to get us our luggage but said they would not pay for anything we bought...

Then when we wanted to leave for home as the vacation had been so bad... they wanted to charge us to change... I convinced them it was not a good idea and they finally saw it my way... but back in Phily for the transfer... OH NO.... a delay... but fortunately it was only an hour or so...

Now, I have to admit that my flight from NY to Washington with them was as expected... so 1 for 2 I guess..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flying between the U.S and Scandinavia/Eastern Europe I've gotten my best rates using Airline Tickets, Cheap Flights, Cheap Plane Tickets, Hotels, Car Rentals - CheapoAir

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Airfarewathdog.com
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Airfarewathdog.com

There is another great site out there that you might not be aware of called Airfarewatchdog.com.

These guys search thousands of fares by hand every day to come up with the best possible deals. They cover all of the discount carriers as well as specials listed only on airline websites.

Plus you can sign up for a daily newsletter which let's you know about the best fares from your city.

Worth checking out...

Mike Martin
neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you meant When airfares are low, we'll let you know!
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW!! never seen that happen before.... I type in the name of the website and they change the name and add the link. LOL cool beans!
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

US airways just cancels your flight and leaves you hanging or they book connections so close you'll never make the flight .I have been stranded in Phila. several times by Us airways but my last trip won the prize . When I arrived at Tampa at 11 am I was told my 4:30 flight to Scranton was cancelled and all the other flights were overbooked ( basically tough luck ) .They finally bussed us from Phila. to Scranton at midnight and after much screaming and wailing at US airways staff . This is not the best part .The best part was when I arrived at Scranton to fly home they had cancelled the rest of my trip because I did not take the plane ( There wasn't any ) from Phila. to Scranton.For this hassle they have awarded me with a free ticket .Oh Boy another chance to be aggravated !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronic View Post
There is another great site out there that you might not be aware of called Airfarewatchdog.com.

These guys search thousands of fares by hand every day to come up with the best possible deals. They cover all of the discount carriers as well as specials listed only on airline websites.

Plus you can sign up for a daily newsletter which let's you know about the best fares from your city.

Worth checking out...

Mike Martin
great site, thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Cool, they do Southwest also.