Join Early Retirement Today

First RV trip of the year
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

First RV trip of the year

We went on our first RV trip this year. We went to the Indiana Dunes State park, it is about 700 miles round trip from home. This is the first trip with the new to us truck, Dodge 2500, and our second RV trip. We were also joined by our 4 year old grandson, his first camping trip.

A good time was had by all. No problems with the truck or camper. A few notes on things to get and change for the next trip though. Better lounge chairs and chairs for the beach are a must have. We also had a small leak from the shower area. I checked it out this morning and there is a small crack in the trap under the shower drain. It must have froze over the winter. Should be an easy fix.

The drive took us about 6.5 to 7.0 hours each way. There was the usual road construction and I didn't drive much over 65mph anyway. The truck with trailer got close to 14mpg. Not bad pulling a 27' trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0130.jpg (526.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg camper.jpg (573.2 KB, 38 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad you enjoyed the trip. RVing is its own reward...most of the time. You have to be prepared for the occasional breakdown or mechanical problem. I think we have had at least one on every trip we have taken in the past 3 years....after a while you just learn to roll with the punches....and carry tools and spare parts.

We have been off the road for a while as DW stabilizes her new business venture. I miss the RV trips but with luck we will be back on the road in a few months...at least for some short trips.

Winterizing is a vital step in RVing in most climate areas as you have seen. Water seems to get into places you never expect it and when it does it can create havoc when it freezes.

Nice RV by the way. My son in law would love your rig.

Good luck and happy camping.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
gone traveling

Thanks for sharing, dm. I wish I had the time to have fun like that.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

This was only our second trip with the RV. We bought it last year and I spent most of the winter and spring replacing, repairing, or upgrading the old trailer. Its a 64 model, but I replaced the plumbing, flooring, A/C, water heater, fridge, mattresses, tires, wheels, hitch, electrical, and I'm sure a few things I can't remember. So hopefully we have all the major items fixed or repaired.

We both had a good time and have several more trips planned. I'm also thinking it would be fun to take some short trips to some local state parks for just a few days. I'm thinking we could leave after my Sunday golf round, stay Sunday and Monday, and return in time for my Tuesday tee time.

Is there ever enough time?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you had a good time. We too just took our first RV trip this year... need to start earlier next year.

We're going to Indiana Dunes later this summer. Any comments about the park and surrounding area would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Sounds like you had a good time. We too just took our first RV trip this year... need to start earlier next year.

We're going to Indiana Dunes later this summer. Any comments about the park and surrounding area would be appreciated.
We didn't leave the park, so don't know much about the surrounding area. My wife liked going on the hiking trails, there are several, one of the beach trails was closed though. Since we had the grandson with us, we spent some time at the playgrounds and the nature center, he enjoyed both. And of coarse the beach.

Since this is only the second campground Ive been in it hard to rate it. But we do plan on going back. The campground was full when we were there so I guess its popular.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
We went on our first RV trip this year. We went to the Indiana Dunes State park, it is about 700 miles round trip from home. This is the first trip with the new to us truck, Dodge 2500, and our second RV trip. We were also joined by our 4 year old grandson, his first camping trip.

A good time was had by all. No problems with the truck or camper. A few notes on things to get and change for the next trip though. Better lounge chairs and chairs for the beach are a must have. We also had a small leak from the shower area. I checked it out this morning and there is a small crack in the trap under the shower drain. It must have froze over the winter. Should be an easy fix.

The drive took us about 6.5 to 7.0 hours each way. There was the usual road construction and I didn't drive much over 65mph anyway. The truck with trailer got close to 14mpg. Not bad pulling a 27' trailer.
Nice looking travel trailer. I clicked to enlarge the photo and still can't make out the manufacturers name plate. I had an Avion and I know Airstreams, but this looks different than most I've seen. I know you mentioned it's a1964 model. Looks great! What is it?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

It's a 1964 Streamline. Its the Countess model.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Is that blond woman Grandma? If so, congrats to you DM!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #10

Our original plans had us stopping at Indiana Dunes State Park on our way North this year, but we changed directions for a variety of reasons. For those of us traveling in an RV full-time and who also like to visit cities, IDSP looks like an ideal spot. At an hour away from Chicago, we were going to leave the RV parked at the campground, get a hotel for a couple of nights to explore the big city and then spend the balance of our time back at the state park laying on the beach and hiking the dunes - the best of both worlds, as far as we're concerned.

But, we didn't make it that way. Maybe some other time.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
It's a 1964 Streamline. Its the Countess model.
Nice looking rig. Happy camping.