Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might keep a list of a few plan B attractions in your back pocket as strikes happen. We missed one of the art museums when we were there (forget which one). I'm not saying they would all shut down together. Unless there's a transit strike I guess.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Be sure to tour the Tower of London and see the crown jewels. It's a fascinating tour.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Do they still have the "bus trip to murder" tours in London? We did this tour with teenage DD in the 1990's. That was something quite interesting and DD really enjoyed it much more than the museums.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #44

I have really enjoyed LondonWalks walking tours. They always start/end at subway (tube) stops. They guides are all well versed - and more importantly - not boring. Many are actors who guide in between gigs... so they know how to grab your attention and entertain while conveying the info. They have pub crawls for those that want 1/2 pints along the way, and family friendly tours like the Harry Potter tours. Many of the guides are also blue badge guides. My favorite guide is Richard.... First toured with him 20 or more years ago... I always look for a tour with him.

London Walks "London's best guided walks" Time Out - London Walks
Old 07-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In London, of course, there ARE some must-do items, such as the Tower, Westminster Abbey, or St Paul's, that, while typically crowded are worth the hassle. Also, on what was maybe our 6th trip to London together DW and I decided to do one of those double decker hopp-off, hopp-on tours and found it quite worthwhile.

If you are into museums, there are many must-do stops. The Tate modern Art, National Gallery, British Museum, the Victoria and Albert, and many smaller more themed museums, such as the Imperial War museum or the National Maritime museum (while in Greenwich, hike up the hill to see the zero meridian and the observatory, then take a Thames river boat back to central London).
A short train trip outside of London can get you to Windsor Castle (of the Queen's residences and much more interesting than Buckingham Palace, IMO), or Hampton Palace (Henry VIII's favorite digs).
This is a good summary. You could also try Tripadvisor, London, Things To Do.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have really enjoyed LondonWalks walking tours. They always start/end at subway (tube) stops. They guides are all well versed - and more importantly - not boring. Many are actors who guide in between gigs... so they know how to grab your attention and entertain while conveying the info. They have pub crawls for those that want 1/2 pints along the way, and family friendly tours like the Harry Potter tours. Many of the guides are also blue badge guides. My favorite guide is Richard.... First toured with him 20 or more years ago... I always look for a tour with him.

London Walks "London's best guided walks" Time Out - London Walks
Thanks Rodi,
this is definitely some thing I think we'd like
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

"Check out Beigel Bake for Salt Beef on a Beigel (aka smoked meat/pastrami on a bagel)."

Yes! Possibly worth a trip to the East End on this basis alone. Fantastic treat. Nothing like it.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Day trip to Stonehenge and castle tour!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

The family and I spent a week in London two summers ago (me + DW + 5 kids (tweens thru teenagers).

I did a bit a research on transit cards and for us, the 7-day London TravelCard worked out best. Get a 7 day pass from a National Rail Station, and you get 2 for 1 discounts on a number of sites (You have to purchase the Travel Card from a National Rail Site - getting from a Tube station will NOT work to get the 2 for 1 deals). The downside is that you have to physically buy it at a National Rail Site. You cannot purchase ahead of time or over the internet. We felt it was better than the Oyster card, and we didn't want to get locked in by purchasing one of the all access passes. We definitely got our monies worth on the transit part - took buses/tube everywhere (plus 1/3 off on the river buses). Used the 2 for 1 a couple of times which helped a few bucks (or pounds as the case may be). Another note that if you do purchase this type of TravelCard, you will need a passport sized photo as they give you a card with your picture on it as well as your travel card. The picture card was used on buses, etc.. There are some National Rail Stations which are also tube stations (e.g. we purchased our travel cards at St Pancreas/Kings Cross), which makes it relatively east to purchase.

We did a couple of day trips - one to the Harry Potter studio and one to Bath. We debated going to either Bath or Stonehenge and in the end, decided on Bath. Well, well worth it. Probably could not have gone wrong going to either place, but the whole family really loved Bath.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

"I remember years ago a guy I knew told me that people going to England find exactly what they go looking for. I said I'd go looking for the England of English Literature, and he nodded and said: 'It's there.'"

-- 84 Charing Cross Road, by Helene Hanff

I picked up 84 Charing Cross Road at a London booksellers back in 1976. If you can, see the beautiful movie of the same name. Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft star.

So much has changed, I don't know what I'd recommend that hasn't already been suggested, save this: See if you can find a pub that serves a ploughman's lunch. It's usually a slice of pate, a chunk of cheese, a hunk of bread and a pickled onion. Goes down a treat with a pint of bitter. Everybody does fish and chips and there are a million gastropubs, but the ploughman's lunch is real England.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
Make sure you buy a visitor oyster card before you leave for your trip (not available in London). One per person. They will save you a lot of money on buses and the tube:
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...or-oyster-card

Because of the tube its not really important where you stay, but I try to stay near a tube station.. My last visit was north of Regent's park Near the swiss cottage stop. I prefer to be out of the most touristy areas. Really good, low cost (for London), restaurants in the Swiss Cottage area. We had some great curries and a notably good Ethiopian meal.
Thank you for the reminder. Leaving on the 24th of July and just went on line and ordered. Very efficient.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
"I remember years ago a guy I knew told me that people going to England find exactly what they go looking for. I said I'd go looking for the England of English Literature, and he nodded and said: 'It's there.'"

-- 84 Charing Cross Road, by Helene Hanff

I picked up 84 Charing Cross Road at a London booksellers back in 1976. If you can, see the beautiful movie of the same name. Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft star.

So much has changed, I don't know what I'd recommend that hasn't already been suggested, save this: See if you can find a pub that serves a ploughman's lunch. It's usually a slice of pate, a chunk of cheese, a hunk of bread and a pickled onion. Goes down a treat with a pint of bitter. Everybody does fish and chips and there are a million gastropubs, but the ploughman's lunch is real England.
You have to look at the foods you wouldn't try thread.

Some won't try things no matter how culturally authentic.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #53

Many will ask you what you think of our president. No matter what your opinion is, politely respond "we're on holiday and prefer not to talk politics." Then change the subject before they push the topic.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Many will ask you what you think of our president. No matter what your opinion is, politely respond "we're on holiday and prefer not to talk politics." Then change the subject before they push the topic.
No kidding, I was there during election week and that kind of stuff was constant. I find the British love to talk politics.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Where would the fun be in that?!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #56

We spent time in London in May of this year, so I can confirm that you can buy the Oyster card at the tube or the Heathrow Express/Connection station using a Chip & Signature cards. It will not ask for signature. I was able to get a refund at the tube station with no problems. I was told I could get a refund at the counter too. We had no issues with our American credit cards.

The Heathrow Connect is cheaper than the express and takes just 30 mins instead of 15. Good if you want to go to Paddington. Other options may be better for other destinations.

We found our smartphones indispensible. You can buy a SIM card there. Here's a discussion
Best data network in the UK?

I didn't see a Parliament tour mentioned. It is amazing and our guide was fantastic! In spring, tours are probably only on Saturdays. Book ahead. I recommend the guided tour. It was the one of the highlights of this trip to London.

We visited Kew Gardens for the first time and I think it is a great middle of your trip destination (if the weather holds). Alternatively, you could schedule a day at Hyde Park/Kensington or a trip to Greenwich & straddle the Prime Meridian. Greenwich is a cute town too.

I found Rick Steve's Westminster Walk to be good, but the other walks weren't as interesting & some, like the city walk, are long.

London has great restaurants and pubs. Pub food is much improved since myfirst visit there about 15 years ago. Pret-a-mangers on every street corner are inexpensive, healthy but a little boring.

We got a kick out of crossing the street in front of the Abbey Rd studios. If you like browsing through knick-knacks, go to Camden market. There was a fire there recently, but I don't know if there was much damage.

There are a number of markets around town. If you're staying in an apartment, they are a good source of food to bring back when you want to eat in.

Take good walking shoes, good rain gear and a good folding umbrella. You're there for the week and don't let the weather spoil your fun.

And if you get asked about politics - or anything else, I hope you engage. I find that to be the best part of traveling.

Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
I posted a thread on here about my 1 week trip to London last spring but I don't know how to post a link to it. I got tons of good information and had a wonderful trip.
1 week in London next April - seeking suggestions
Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #58

Engage all you want, but the first time I heard real rudeness in London it was people expressing their unasked for, unwanted political comments. I'm someone who was born in England and have multiple trips under my belt.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Thank you!!!