Join Early Retirement Today

First trip by private plane
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

First trip by private plane

I recently finished my PPL, but had to have more instruction and endorsements for the insurance company to Ok my taking passengers along. So the wife bravely went with me to Hannibal Mo for a short day trip in the plane, it was our 32 annivesary. So we arrived at the local airport, only plane around, and pulled up to the terminal. Asked the very helpful young lady there about what to do in town. She gave us some suggestions and even gave us the keys to a very nice jeep suv, no charge. Flying took a little over a hour round trip, driving would have been close to 4.

We had a good time in town and was back home still early in the day. We just need to figure out where to next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0027.jpg (338.0 KB, 52 views)
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a great time but oh what a dangerous hobby !

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #3

Congratulations
For more inspiration, have a look here: Flying Destinations
This also used to be good, but now requires paid subscription: The One Hundred Dollar Hamburger
I also sometimes use AirNav because lot of businesses put their info there.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Sounds like a great time but oh what a dangerous hobby !

Better than driving a MC!

BTW, I've done both over some years (MC more than private plane). On the ground, you are on the same altitude and subject to an increased risk, regardless of personal skill/ablility skill set.

I always felt more comfortable in the air. At least you had like certified "professionals" to count on, rather than the general public that could pass an auto driving exam.

Just my simple POV.

BTW DM, good 4 U. I'm at an age I could not pass the physical anymore, but I still miss the experience.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

While I can't be bothered to look it up, I think on a per mile basis you're more likely to die in a car accident than one involving an aircraft.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
While I can't be bothered to look it up, I think on a per mile basis you're more likely to die in a car accident than one involving an aircraft.

To be fair, I think you would need to take out commercial planes... they kind of skew the results....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am glad you enjoyed your first flight with a non-pilot passenger. I think I was more thrilled about that than first solo or getting my PPL. My wife and I enjoyed a number of years of flying after I got my PPL when the kids finished college. I recently let my medical expire and decided to give it up. I figured after so many hours odds were something might happen and we have too many grandkids to see grow up
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
To be fair, I think you would need to take out commercial planes... they kind of skew the results....
Yes, flying GA is more dangerous (statistically) than driving a car.

dm--congratulations! Here's my take on flying GA in order to actually get somewhere.
- If I don't have to be at the destination on a particular day, then it's a good way to go for distances up to about 800 miles. After that, it's worth it (time-wise and hassle-wise) to buy a commercial ticket unless the fun of flying there is part of the goal.
- If I have to be at the destination on a particular day (for business, a wedding, etc), then flying an airplane might still work, but I need to have a backup plan in case the weather is bad. I don't have my IFR ticket, so that limits me. Even if I did, being "legal" for IFR and being proficient aren't the same thing. And there's no way I can afford a plane approved for known icing, so that's another limitation. If the weather is bad on the day I need to travel, then a walkup-ticket at the airlines is going to be very expensive, if it is available at all. Thus, my backup plan is always my car. That limits me to a 600 mile trip in one day. No matter how fast my private plane is, no matter how long I'd be willing to fly, the radius of action (for me, and for "gotta be there on Tuesday" events) will always be set by this 600 mile driving limit. Once I figured this out, the idea of a very fast plane, high horsepower, retracts, constant speed prop, etc kinda lost its allure and I'll probably choose something slower, cheaper, and more "fun" than fast. The difference between cruising at 150 MPH and 175 MPH just isn't that big a deal.

Again--congrats. It's fun to share the flight.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

Congrats on the PPL.. was always a skill I wished I could add to the bucket list but am sadly very colour blind. Also, FWIW, your wife is a very pretty lady and you are a lucky man in a few different ways !

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the pilot certificate. You should be proud!

The insurance company knows what they are doing requiring additional training to fly that Bonanza. That's alot of airplane, so if that's your regular aircraft, fly as often as you can to keep improving your skills and don't neglect takeoff and landing practice once in a while. You'll be glad you did.

Have fun and fly safe.

-- Your friendly CFI...
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just checked out the pic closer...

I would want to fly one of those two planes in the background....

Just sayin.....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrads !!

Great you shared this precious moment with your DW. I have been flying for 22 years, great disciplined mental exercise.

Texas Proud, I noticed the AT-6 Texan and the turbine powered plane, always something out there faster, sleeker, etc.

Here is my neighbor at the apt.

Again Congradulations & thanks for sharing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodbine Apt.jpg (420.9 KB, 24 views)
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, flying GA is more dangerous (statistically) than driving a car.

dm--congratulations! Here's my take on flying GA in order to actually get somewhere.
Congrats DM and it is especially great the DW is willing to go with you. I know there are a fair number of spouses who are understandably concerned with flying in a private plane. My dad was really fortunate that mom loved to fly.

The one thing my flight instructor drilled into me and numerous cross country trips with my dad reinforced is "if you have time to spare than go by air". Cause flying into weather as low time private pilot even if you have your instrument rating is dangerous. Anybody know the difference in accident rates for IFR vs VFR conditions?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna5354 View Post
Congrads !!

Great you shared this precious moment with your DW. I have been flying for 22 years, great disciplined mental exercise.

Texas Proud, I noticed the AT-6 Texan and the turbine powered plane, always something out there faster, sleeker, etc.

Here is my neighbor at the apt.

Again Congradulations & thanks for sharing
Nice CJ. Does the neighbor let you fly it?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #15

Thanks everyone, we actually had planned this trip earlier but I cancelled due to low clouds. The ceiling was 2800 ft but I just was not comfortable with that. So that day we just flew around close to the airport for a little while. I don't have to be anywhere, so I don't plan on taking any chances.

On the dangerous part of flying it seams to be a lot safer if you don't mess with bad weather and you take along plenty of fuel. And since most of my flying will be in the mid-west I don't have to worry to much about running into any mountains. There also is a lot of nice flat farm ground under most of the areas that I'll be flying to.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
Congrats on the pilot certificate. You should be proud!

The insurance company knows what they are doing requiring additional training to fly that Bonanza. That's alot of airplane, so if that's your regular aircraft, fly as often as you can to keep improving your skills and don't neglect takeoff and landing practice once in a while. You'll be glad you did.

Have fun and fly safe.

-- Your friendly CFI...
Thanks, they required 25 hours before solo and 5 hour instruments before taking passengers. And of coarse the high/performance and complex endorsement.

I plan on working on my IFR rating, I'll probably start that this winter. But for now I plan on logging some cross country time.

The airport where I keep the plane is only about 7 miles from the house, and I drive right by it on the way to the golf club. So I find myself stopping by frequently. The only thing that makes it rough is the weather. These day's of 100+ heat is just to hot to fly.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Congrats DM and it is especially great the DW is willing to go with you. I know there are a fair number of spouses who are understandably concerned with flying in a private plane. My dad was really fortunate that mom loved to fly.

The one thing my flight instructor drilled into me and numerous cross country trips with my dad reinforced is "if you have time to spare than go by air". Cause flying into weather as low time private pilot even if you have your instrument rating is dangerous. Anybody know the difference in accident rates for IFR vs VFR conditions?
I think the DW is OK with the flying, but her main reason for the plane is to go places. It makes many trips day trips that use to either require us to stay the night or just get home late and tired.

She was actually the one that wanted a Bonanza, I started off looking at 172's and some older taildraggers. She wanted something faster and be able to haul 4 people if we wanted to. So I went along with what she wanted.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You have figured out one of the key principles of aviation: The best plane for you is the one your wife likes.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

Note that some FBOs provide a course for spouses in how to land a plane in an emergency, giving enough instruction that in combination with the radio the non pilot spouse can likely get the plane down safely.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that some FBOs provide a course for spouses in how to land a plane in an emergency, giving enough instruction that in combination with the radio the non pilot spouse can likely get the plane down safely.

My mom took one of those offered by the AOPA. I think everyone is very very glad that she never had to use training.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote