Join Early Retirement Today

First trip to Ireland
Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #1

First trip to Ireland

Heading to Ireland later this month for our first visit there. Half of my ancestors (everyone on my mother's side) came from there.

I've read every thread on here about Ireland and learned a great deal, so thank you to everyone who contributed over the years. Now that the trip is actually upon us, I thought I might prevail on you to pass on any quick tips that weren't mentioned before.

We're spending nearly a month there, because I want to see as much of the country as possible. Of course, that will still be an overview, so we can learn about places we may want to visit next time. Flying into Dublin, we'll rent a car and spend nearly a week in counties Kilkenny, Waterford, and Cork.
Then we'll go to Killarney, drop off the car and join an OAT tour that will take us through Kerry, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, and Donegal, then on to Londonderry and Antrim, and back down to Dublin. So essentially a complete counterclockwise circuit of the island, both countries. We'll finish with several days on our own again in Dublin before coming home.

I've used all the usual trip planning online resources, but I'd love to hear of things you particularly loved over there. If you have been there in the last couple of years, please pass on your knowledge. Thanks so much.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were there some years ago, but things do not change. One of the highlights in Dublin was seeing the Book of Kells.
I have attached a copy of our trip story. If you have any questions, PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRELAND 2009a.pdf (1.06 MB, 30 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

About 20 years ago, I was on an Air Lingus plane from the UK to Ireland (business trip) and I was sitting next to a distinguished looking guy in a nice suit. About half way there, I asked him how far back should I set my watch to be on the correct time when we got to Cork.

His reply was "about 25 years".....
Old 08-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

There was a pub in the center of Kilkenny where they had local talent night (sat?) It was great fun. I wish I remembered the name. It was a small place. When you walked in the bar was on the right and the tables on the left. It was barely wider than a bus.

In Dublin we met a local friend and had some beers and dinner at Porterhouse Central near Trinity College. The pub food there was really something.

Don’t miss a detour to The Cliffs of Moher.

Pack rain gear.

Guinness is served everywhere. Murphy’s is not as common. I love both but prefer Murphy's so when you see it give it a try.

If you want to fit in, wear dark colors. We had a laugh about this because DW wore a bright pink raincoat for the trip. We went to a pub in Limerick one night and the local gals pegged her immediately as American. The attention was fun but sometimes you just want to melt into the crowd.
Audie Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Wear layers ! I was in Ireland the first week of September and it snowed .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

If you find yourselves in Malahide (coastal town outside Dublin - and not a bad stay for next day flights if departing Dublin), have a pint or two at Gibney's. A grand pub with an outside courtyard.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Administrator

While in Connemara, if the weather is nice, take a drive down Ireland’s only Fjord at Killary Harbour. (Just north of Connemara National Park where Kylemore Abbey is also well worth a visit).

In Donegal we loved Glenveagh National Park, plus lots of beautiful beaches.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We went to Ireland a few years ago - spent 2 or 3 nights in Dublin, 4 nights in Killarney.

Enjoyed: Guiness brewery tour and Connoisseur Experience. Also Trinity college and the pubs in the Temple Bar area.

Pubs in Killarney, and the Ring of Kerry - We drove the loop. And checked out some lighthouses

Liked the Cliffs of Moher.

Liked the drive from Killarney to Dingle.

Enjoy your trip!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

Lots of mentions of pubs here. You're people after my own heart.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I made some maps of tripadvisors best rated pubs before our trip. We didn't go to all of them. But we wanted to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killarney.jpg (371.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg ireland.jpg (727.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg map dublin.jpg (526.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 5.07.40 PM.png (1.18 MB, 42 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

On our trip to Ireland we discovered the 'carvery lunch' that exists at various Pubs. That ended up being the primary eating location for us on our trip. They were fabulous. At one we counted five types of potatoes dishes. While our favorite Carvery was O'Neills in Dublin, We were not disappointed by any of the ones around the country. Here is a link to a list of carveries in a contest, but I will note that we did not dine at any of the places on the list of finalists.

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/...arvery-dinners

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't expect to find a bunch of pubs out in the countryside. Satellite television has destroyed the pub life. All you find now is a few "football" fans watching big screen tv's in the rural pubs.

If I had a month to spend over there, at least one week would be spent in Scotland driving around in a rental car.

We loved the scenery on our Ireland trip throughout the SW portion of the country last year. And we loved the people. But the best food we found was the Chinese & Thai food, however.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #13

This band has a couple dates in Ireland in August. https://www.kila.ie/tour

Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
... Guinness is served everywhere. Murphy’s is not as common. I love both but prefer Murphy's so when you see it give it a try. ...
I was in Dublin on business years ago, and worked pretty closely via conference calls and a few meetings with someone who was a Dublin native working there, and he met us, took us to a bar, and ordered Murphy's for us, as he said we will be drinking plenty of Guinness. And it was very good, IIRC, it isn't served on nitro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Enjoyed: Guiness brewery tour and Connoisseur Experience. Also Trinity college and the pubs in the Temple Bar area. ...

Enjoy your trip!
The traditional Irish music in the pubs was one of the highlights, I just loved it. Bought the CD and have played it many times since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
About 20 years ago, I was on an Air Lingus plane from the UK to Ireland (business trip) and I was sitting next to a distinguished looking guy in a nice suit. About half way there, I asked him how far back should I set my watch to be on the correct time when we got to Cork.

His reply was "about 25 years".....
The odd thing for me was being on Air Lingus and getting all the announcements in Irish first, and then in English. You're not in Kansas anymore!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Wicklow Mountains are beautiful. Newgrange (north of Dublin) is a must see.
HarveyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

When I went to Ireland I loved the scones , the potato jackets , the soups and the stews . I hate to look at our pictures from Ireland because I probably gained ten pounds on that trip .Have a great time !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Following. My daughter is getting married next May in Dublin and many family and friends are attending and making a week long vacation of it.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I hate to look at our pictures from Ireland because I probably gained ten pounds on that trip!
Anticipating something similar. I just took off ten pounds in the last month, and I fully expect to put many of them back on this trip. But I'm OK with indulging myself when traveling. Easy enough to take them off again when we get back home.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's a national law that all visitors to Ireland, whether traveling alone or with a group, have to go see the Book of Kells; I wonder how many would go out of their way to see it if it was on exhibit at a hometown museum. The Trinity University library housing it was the most crowded place I have ever been in and the lines to get in were very long. Maybe ask your hotel if you can arrange a guide who will take care of entry for you.

We ate a lot of fish and chips, which was delicious. Besides the beer, the gin is amazing and the countryside is beautiful. Have fun!
Old 08-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Eat the lamb. Bring rain gear and goretex or breathable water resistant shoes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote