Florence, Italy: Any Must-Sees and Any Tips?

I am going with a gang of misfits to Italy during the first two weeks of October. I have been tasked with coming up with an agenda for Florence. We will be there only a few days. Apart from seeing the Duomo and David, any other suggestions based on recent travel experience in Florence? Any restaurant recommendations? Hotel is already booked, so no suggestions needed on lodging.

Thanks.

If you are going with a gang of misfits, do you really want to bore them with the Duomo or other places swarmed by tourists? If you want to have fun, go to Angie's pub. During my working years, our customer took us there once. It's a really great place. I have been back there at least 4 more times.

Have fun!

I knew my previous stay of 4 nights in Florence was too short. Just look at all the recommendations for "must see". Next time, I will stay for a month.

And we were just scratching the surface with 1 week in Tuscany and Umbria. Perhaps another month there?

I knew my previous stay of 4 nights in Florence was too short. Just look at all the recommendations for "must see". Next time, I will stay for a month.

And we were just scratching the surface with 1 week in Tuscany and Umbria. Perhaps another month there?

Italy is a big country with lots to see. Florence is but a speck. I respectfully suggest seeing all of what this great country has to offer. It is very diverse.

If it’s just 4 nights, then Florence has way more to see than 3 full days worth.

I guess I need to look into relocating to Italy. Will do that after I spend some years in Provence first. :)

PS. Would not want to be there in either place in the summer. Will do the snowbird routine to Alaska then.

Last edited:
I guess I need to look into relocating to Italy. Will do that after I spend some years in Provence first. :)

PS. Would not want to be there in either place in the summer. Will do the snowbird routine to Alaska then.

Headed to Provence in 3 weeks. Can’t wait.

In my opinion, Florence and the Tuscan countryside/hill towns are two different trips. Each is beautiful in its own way and should be savored. Rushing through by trying to combine them on one trip does justice to neither.

I understand what you’re saying, but Florence and other Tuscan towns are so close, I’m hoping the OP can do both. We took a two week trip to Cinque Terre and Tuscany and found that length of time to be enough to see Florence, experience Cinque Terre, and spend time in the Tuscan countryside as well as Siena. YMMV

I understand what you’re saying, but Florence and other Tuscan towns are so close, I’m hoping the OP can do both. We took a two week trip to Cinque Terre and Tuscany and found that length of time to be enough to see Florence, experience Cinque Terre, and spend time in the Tuscan countryside as well as Siena. YMMV

I agree.
We combined Florence, Siena, the hill towns and Chianti. We enjoyed them all and never felt rushed. Florence can be a bit overwhelming (big city noise, traffic) so getting out into the countryside was refreshing.

Don't be afraid to split meals so that you can try different things.

Try not to eat in the very touristy areas. Look for a place frequented by locals. Absolutely avoid any restaurant that has tri-lingual tourist menus plastered to the the door or window.

Don't be afraid to ask the price of a menu item or the size of a serving. Try the local wine. IF your server suggests another wine be vigilant. Ask the price before you nod your agreement. In some places this is a way to clip unsuspecting wide eyed tourists.

Thank you all for your replies; it has made the planning a lot easier!

Here's one that most people don't see, but it reminds us of our history with Italy:

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/florence-american-cemetery

The Florence American Cemetery and Memorial site in Italy covers 70 acres. The wooded hills that frame its western perimeter rise several hundred feet. Between the two entrance buildings, a bridge leads to the burial area where the headstones of 4,399 of our military dead are arrayed in symmetrical curved rows upon the hillside. They represent 39 percent of the U.S. Fifth Army burials originally made between Rome and the Alps. Most died in the fighting that occurred after the capture of Rome in June 1944. Included among them are casualties of the heavy fighting in the Apennines Mountains shortly before the war's end. On May 2, 1945 the enemy troops in northern Italy surrendered.

I know this might sound weird, but I recommend the Four Seasons as an oasis in the middle of Florence. Great place to have an evening drink. Beautiful gardens with nice art work to enjoy, and two really good restaurants. One is a Michelin One Star, the other just a great place to enjoy an evening drink/meal if you're finished with all the tourist spots. I found food in Florence to be really hit or miss and was surprised that the non Michelin Star here was one of the better meals I had. Didn't get a chance to try the other restaurant but it comes well recommended and it's in a beautiful outdoor/indoor setting. Touring the gardens after the meal was a nice bonus.

Make sure you get some gelato! This small shop just across the Arno river was especially good - Gelateria La Carraia

Several thumbs up on this - one every hour or so is good :) Can't get enough of that while there.

Please forgive if I am repeating other suggestions:

Accademia Del Galleria - and Michelangelo's David - amazing

The Uffizi and Boticelli

Tuscan bean soup

Leather goods for sale

Brunelleschi's dome

I like Siena as a side trip - rivals with Florence until Florence won out in Renaissance period

Siena - just walk around - go to center of town where Il Palio is held, also
visit the cathedral that was supposed to be larger than Romes, but didn't get there - amazing!

Italian coffee - espresso, cappuccino - Italian sweets - Italian food in general

I've found Rick Steves suggestions to be excellent with regard to places to stay, places/things to see, and where to eat.....combine that with some Lonely Planet info and/or Trip Advisor reviews (be careful with that one sometimes) and you get a good mix of different things to experience wherever you go in Europe...

... Leather goods for sale

Speaking of leather goods, my wife bought a couple of purses in a store in a Tuscan hill town. It could be Siena, but I do not remember for sure.

Later, in Florence and in Milan, we ran across purses with the same design hung on vendor carts in the street, so I stopped to examine them. They were obviously fake and of inferior quality, even to inexperienced eyes like mine. But of course, we already bought the real thing to have something for comparison, else I might be fooled.

The thing was the counterfeits were not a lot less than the real thing! In fact, much of the goods in the store had lower prices than I would have thought.

Last edited:
The first time we went to Italy we spent 10 days between Rome, Florence, island of Capri and Venice. The next time 10 days in Siena with day trips to all the surrounding towns and 4 days in Florence again. We found the food to be great in Tractorrias versus Restaurantes which cost way more. Same food just different costs. House wine was great. We found this out by trying everything. Still want to see the rest of Italy besides Ireland, Scotland, Germany and England.

Free Rick Steves App. Has free audio walking tours in Florence.
Agree with pre order for Uffizzi tickets.
Bell tower is less crowded than the much much longer lines to climb the Duomo and it has the advantage of having the better view- of the Duomo.
Central Market with the upstairs open until midnight has great "food court"
Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens

Another side trip is Bologna. Beautiful city and not quite as touristy. Food cant be beat! They have towers and the oldest university in the world. It is just a wonderful walking city. I think it is a 90 minute train ride from Florence.

I second the recommendation on Piazzale Michelangelo. Better view than from Fiesole, though that's worth visiting too.

If you hike up, there's a nice park on the way, with people sitting on benches looking towards the skyline. Not as nice a view as up in Piazzale Michelangelo but still nice.

But I think you can take buses or taxis up there, if you don't want to do the uphill hike.

Above Piazzle Michelangelo is San Miniato, a little church. Same views but higher up.

Back
Top Bottom