Join Early Retirement Today

Florida
Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Florida

The reason I stopped by the forum was to ask about options for spending next winter in Florida. For the past few years I have spent winter in Audrey's neck of the woods, along the Rio Grande in Texas. I want to take a year off from Texas to see some new birds and for a change in cycling scenery. I ride my bikes around 400 miles a month.

I spend winters alone in a small Lazy Daze rv. I haul a couple of bicycles and either a car or a scooter. I am especially interested in plopping down somewhere near one of the longer bike trails in Florida. I figured that I would not spend the entire winter in one place, but move around every few weeks.

I'm looking for suggestions on good rv parks and good areas for riding bikes. I do plan to at least stop for a time in the Everglades.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I think Rich would be a good source for campgrounds since he used to camp on Siesta Key and Don Heff knows the biking paths . I am not a biker but I would think anywhere on Anna Marie Island would be great since you could bike from there to St.Armand's in Sarasota following the beach route . Venice , Fl. is a smaller town and perfect for biking not sure if there is an campground there . If you see a campground in SW Florida online that looks interesting I would be glad to check it out for you and send you pictures and my take on the place .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The reason I stopped by the forum was to ask about options for spending next winter in Florida.
And we thought it was because you missed us!

Can't help with the Florida question but let me know if you decide to winter in CA.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
And we thought it was because you missed us!

Can't help with the Florida question but let me know if you decide to winter in CA.
That too!

Maybe the next year I will do SoCal.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think Rich would be a good source for campgrounds since he used to camp on Siesta Key and Don Heff knows the biking paths . I am not a biker but I would think anywhere on Anna Marie Island would be great since you could bike from there to St.Armand's in Sarasota following the beach route . Venice , Fl. is a smaller town and perfect for biking not sure if there is an campground there . If you see a campground in SW Florida online that looks interesting I would be glad to check it out for you and send you pictures and my take on the place .
My inlaws had retired to Bradenton so I used to know the area but haven't been there in quite a long while. I'll see if I can find anything for you to check out for me. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW an I are staying in Bradenton Beach for the month of February. We bike 20-30 miles a day. That area is ok for biking but not great. I don't know about RV parks.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do plan to at least stop for a time in the Everglades.
I'd plan to spend a little time there. Been to the everglades once and it was simply amazing. Definitely want to go back
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW an I are staying in Bradenton Beach for the month of February. We bike 20-30 miles a day. That area is ok for biking but not great. I don't know about RV parks.
I recall that you have biked in Florida quite a bit. What are your favorite areas?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha-

DW and I have been investigating Dunedin, Fl (north of St Pete) on line, and Pinellas Trail Pinellas County, Florida - Park & Conservation Resources - Pinellas County Trail Guide (which gets good reviews) goes thru there. There is also Elite Resorts RV park in Tarpon Springs, at the north end of the trail.

Good luck. Let us know how you like Dunedin if you visit.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Martha-

DW and I have been investigating Dunedin, Fl (north of St Pete) on line, and Pinellas Trail Pinellas County, Florida - Park & Conservation Resources - Pinellas County Trail Guide (which gets good reviews) goes thru there. There is also Elite Resorts RV park in Tarpon Springs, at the north end of the trail.

I have only been to Dunedin a few times but it is a charming town in a great location .
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I recall that you have biked in Florida quite a bit. What are your favorite areas?
I liked the Pinellas Trail that Huston55 mentioned and also liked the Withlacotchee (sp?) Trail. I preferred The urban Pinellas to the more rural Withlachochee. The Maria Island Bradenton Beach area is pretty good for sorta typical beach road rides with good options for lunch. I love Key West which is certainly bike friendly but not well suited to the 25-30 mile rides I prefer and not at all suited to serious riders who want speed and distance. DW and I just like to get out and ride and are not very particular about the circumstances as long as we can get in some miles interupted by a good restaurant.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Martha-

I'll check out the Elite Resorts park, thanks. EDIT: It looks like it hasn't been built yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I liked the Pinellas Trail that Huston55 mentioned and also liked the Withlacotchee (sp?) Trail. I preferred The urban Pinellas to the more rural Withlachochee. The Maria Island Bradenton Beach area is pretty good for sorta typical beach road rides with good options for lunch. I love Key West which is certainly bike friendly but not well suited to the 25-30 mile rides I prefer and not at all suited to serious riders who want speed and distance.
Given that Florida is flat I pretty much need speed and distance. Thanks for the imput.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Man it is tough trying to find a decent rv place on the Pinellas trail. Fort DeSoto would be cool but I can't reserve that far in advance and it looks like it is difficult to get reservations there.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Man it is tough trying to find a decent rv place on the Pinellas trail. Fort DeSoto would be cool but I can't reserve that far in advance and it looks like it is difficult to get reservations there.
Had some OH friends try for a couple of years to get a spot at Ft. DeSoto. Finally got a week this year in April and they loved it. They are snowbirds with a 5th-wheel and they spent their last week in FL at Ft. DeSoto.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #15

These links lists RV parks near Dunedin and Pinellas Trail.

RV Parks in Dunedin, Florida | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

Caladesi RV Park

Clearwater RV Resorts | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

Good hunting fishing!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Here is a list of the bike trails .
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/pdf/biketrails_b_v6.pdf