Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
A 3 hour flight know matter how fat the person next to me stealing part of my paid for seat is still better than a 20 hour drive. TSA can poke and grab anything on me they want so I can avoid being in a car that long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think that's a reasonable comparison. First, it's only a 3 hour flight if you leave a big city to go to another big city. Otherwise there would be at least one connecting flight. Second, that's 3 hours of time in the air, but you can add another 3+ hours in airports even if there's no lay-over. Plus there's time to get to the airport from your house and from the destination airport to your final destination. Flying would be much more expensive(generally) and more of a hassle for a short time savings. Don't see why it would be worth it unless you have some medical problem that limits your driving ability or if money is no object.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

But I can't get over these amazing facts: I wake up on one continent, and go to sleep later that same day on another continent, 1/3 of the way around planet earth. And all this for well under a week's average pay for an average guy in the USA. And the travel is extremely safe. It is a superlative technical and economic achievement that I simply refuse to take for granted. My ancestors could never have dreamed that such a thing would be possible. I always tell people that, if I were an engineer at the dawn of air travel, I probably would have assured everyone that air travel would be too expensive and unsafe for such routine commercial applications.
+1

Seriously, we live in an amazing time.

I simply can't imagine the ordeal my various ancestors went through to cross the atlantic back in the 1600/1700/1800's.

I just walk from air conditioned terminal into air conditioned aluminum flying tube and am mildly uncomfortable for a few hours to retrace their steps. I'll take it.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Use to do flights to nearby Dallas and return the same day. With the overbooking and TSA delays at each end that doesn't make sense anymore. In fact, almost any place I can drive in less than 4-5 hours don't make sense for a flight any more.
+1

Plus, no rental car, baggage hassles, possible cancellations, etc. Anywhere within a 1,000 mile radius of where we live has become a driving trip. That's one of the reasons we bought the cars, too.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

It probably makes a difference too if the airports are relatively big and close. We are close to two, and using the bigger airport means we rarely need a connecting flight (will even be flying nonstop to and from Japan in May).

All things considered we still love road trips regardless of distance so we prefer them (leaving on one in a week), but if weather (like the three inches of snow now falling grrrr), time, and little things like large bodies of salt water between us and the destination interfere, we can put up with the temporary annoyances of air travel.

I know our travel by whatever means won't continue indefinitely.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

This might deserve its own thread but I'm curious how many drive more than fly now that they are RE? Some of our best trips were just taking off with a rough idea of where we were going to go and wandering the back roads.

My mother has made two major roadtrips with her friends, all in their 70's. Across the US, loop up thru Canada, or down the coasts. Trips that took 3-5 weeks and tallied 1000s of miles.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #46

Quote:
This might deserve its own thread but I'm curious how many drive more than fly now that they are RE? Some of our best trips were just taking off with a rough idea of where we were going to go and wandering the back roads.

My mother has made two major roadtrips with her friends, all in their 70's. Across the US, loop up thru Canada, or down the coasts. Trips that took 3-5 weeks and tallied 1000s of miles.
I love road trips and avoid interstates just so I can see more of the country side.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I love road trips and avoid interstates just so I can see more of the country side.
Haven't done a road trip in a while, but DW & I never had a set itinerary and would often take roads at random......I swear that, in places such as WV, the only people who drove these routes either lived along them or worked for UPS.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #48

Pre 9/11 flying was not too bad, much less troubles and hassles. Post 9/11 it sucks. I have done plenty of work flying and my general feeling is the current flying process is nothing more than a flying bus, with additional security hassles to go on top of it.

Flying now is merely to get somewhere faster, it has no enjoyment. The only good thing is the efficiency of time.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #49

Quote:
This might deserve its own thread but I'm curious how many drive more than fly now that they are RE?
We'll be doing more. The family weddings in Austin and Atlanta are good examples: we'd rather drive 12 hours over 2 days than fly. We're also pretty sure that the days when DH just can't hack plane travel are approaching. That's when we'll do more serious road trips, probably to California on one trip and the Grand Canyon on another. He did 99% of the driving to/from Austin and came home perfectly healthy. Put him on a couple of domestic plane flights and he gets sick.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Use to do flights to nearby Dallas and return the same day. With the overbooking and TSA delays at each end that doesn't make sense anymore. In fact, almost any place I can drive in less than 4-5 hours don't make sense for a flight any more.

Yea, prior to the long security searches and 'required' early check in... there was one time I had to deliver something from Houston to Dallas...

So, boss said 'take this to Dallas'... go downstairs and get a cab to Hobby and jump on a SW airlines plane... fly to Dallas and land (say 12 noon)... take a cab to a bldg downtown and tell the cab to wait... take the paper in and deliver, take the cab back to Love filed and get on the 1 PM plane back to Houston... I do not think you could do that today....
Old 03-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #51

Quote:
I remember the days when, if you had a small package/envelope that needed to get somewhere really fast, you could go down to the airport, find a flight attendant who was going there (i.e. get there early and wait at the gate) and give her the package and $20 bucks for her trouble. Someone at the other end would be waiting for her and the package and give her another $20.

At the time, the company I worked for was AA's single largest customer so maybe that made a difference.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I remember the days when, if you had a small package/envelope that needed to get somewhere really fast, you could go down to the airport, find a flight attendant who was going there (i.e. get there early and wait at the gate) and give her the package and $20 bucks for her trouble. Someone at the other end would be waiting for her and the package and give her another $20.
DH remembers those days, too! I wouldn't try that now. I used to work for a small consulting firm and a coworker tried that at Newark Airport- it was a response to an RFP and he had a deadline to meet. I think he was looking for passengers on the flight, not flight attendants. The "security" people were immediately alerted and, after determining that he meant no harm, they told him to leave the airport and he was followed to the exit. I worked there from 1995-98 so it was pre-9/11 and already they were paranoid.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I take country roads and interstates about 50/50. Last road trip was Chicago to Phoenix a few weeks ago, partially on old US 66. I had to put my F-150 in 4WD. I couldn't tell where the pavement was at times. But it was one of the most fun road trips I've taken, and was far more fun than if I had flown.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

When I was working there simply was no time to take road trips. In contrast, I flew a lot for work, and to see far flung family. In ER I have taken several road trips for pleasure, and cut my flying down considerably. I figure I can arrange my trips for my own convenience. While I do not pay for business or first class, I have built in overnight stays to break a long journey.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I'm still recovering from my five year road trip, LOL!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm still recovering from my five year road trip, LOL!
My late wife & I fulltime RVd from mid 1997 until mid 2001 when she was diagnosed with cancer........I held on to the 5th wheel (went to AZ one winter and TX the next) after she died early 2002. It was something she'd always wanted to do....me, not so much, but it was her turn to 'choose'.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #57

For two years 1975-77 I owned a Piper Tri Pacer, a single engine four place light airplane, and had a ball with it. Looking around now, I see prices from $17k (close to needing engine overhaul and new interior) to $26k (recent engine, good interior, decent radios). I paid $3,900 for mine that did have a high-time engine but I didn't get stuck with the overhaul bill, and it had a good interior. The one pictured has an almost identical paint scheme.

The 150 hp engine burned 8.7 gallons per hour at cruise and the two tanks held 38 gallons total, airspeed 120 mph, giving an effective range of ~350 miles before you want to plan on stopping for fuel. I think fuel is now ~$4/gallon. Although the FAA said at the time the minimum fuel reserve was 30 minutes in VFR (visual flight rules) I normally wanted an hour on board. Besides, by that some it was virtually certain that somebody - usually me - would want a potty break by then anyway. And no, there is no lavatory on board unless you count the plastic bottle.

This meant that for a trip of ~500 miles or less, I could beat the airlines on door-to-door time. And landing at a small airport (it only needed a 2,000 foot runway, and mowed grass was fine) meant I would be closer to where I wanted to go anyway. Lots of businesses like hotels, thinking that all airplane owners are wealthy, would send a courtesy car to take you to their business and back to the airport. Of course what they didn't know was that since I owned an airplane I was usually broke.

But it sure was a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic_Tri_Pacer.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
My late wife & I fulltime RVd from mid 1997 until mid 2001 when she was diagnosed with cancer........I held on to the 5th wheel (went to AZ one winter and TX the next) after she died early 2002. It was something she'd always wanted to do....me, not so much, but it was her turn to 'choose'.
Sorry to hear about your wife. That's a sad reason to end RVing full-time.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your wife. That's a sad reason to end RVing full-time.
OT
Yeah...and my border Collie was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma the day she died...2002 wasn't the best year I've ever had......took the rig solo from Ontario to Lake Havasu AZ...met an old boy there, in his 90s looked way younger, had just buried his third wife......told him I didn't know how he could do it and keep going.

But.....I've always been resilient and lucky (even terrible things have an upside).....now married to a wonderful lady ten years my junior.......our motto, which we formulated ourselves, is Combibo is sursum ranunculus......("Suck it up, Buttercup").

/OT

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I think of flying as a fact of life . My daughter & grandchildren live a large distance from me so to see them I have to fly . My Mom also lives a far distance away so that's another flight . I have learned to make my flights as easy for me as possible . If available I fly from Sarasota rather than go to Tampa even if it is more money . I make sure I have decent connections and then I just roll with the flow . Gary & I also fly on at least one trip a year .So that is a minimum of three trips for someone that isn't crazy about flying .