Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I hope you are proud of yourself; posts like these drive people like me to OMY syndrome:
  • X more months to afford my license
  • Y months to buy the plane
  • Z months for my own hanger
  • Then, ongoing insurance, fuel, occasional overhauls, etc.

Yes, I have always wanted this; but, I am not sure it is worth the additional time at my desk. So, I am probably just going to see if the market is good enough to me that I can do this some day. Until then, I do have well over 1MM frequent flier miles to spend getting off the ground.
I did not plan on this when I retired. It was something I had thought about from time to time but didn't think I would actually be able to do it. My wife encouraged me to do it when I told her it was something I always wanted to do. It does cost though, and I keep track, it will be the first thing to go if money becomes a problem. But hopefully it just cost the kids a bit of their inheritance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
As DIY as I am, this is one that I'll leave for the professionals.

I'm curious, what do you do for transportation after you arrive? Are there car rental agencies at smaller airports?
We have never had a problem getting a car or transportation. Some airports have even loaned us a car for a few days, most will have a car you can use for a few hours. We have also rented cars. And we have been picked up by restaurants or other businesses. We went down to the keys recently and the airport personnel drove us to the sea food festival that was going on and picked us up later when we called. This was a big suprise to us. most airports will even give you the door code to get into there offices when they are closed so you can use the bathroom or whatever, they have also left the keys for the courtesy cars there for us.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
It better be a 250 lb, well fit, male flight attendant. Otherwise, the pilot can easily overcome and crash the plane.

There was a successful intentional crash even with other pilots present. One pilot just turned off the engine and the other two pilots could not get the plane back under control and crashed.

DW and I recently drove to Oregon and back from California. 9 hour drive each way was endurable given all the recent plane crashes, and hassle at the airports, not to mention extra charge for checking our golf bags. The evil is losing against us.

Ultimately it all comes down to where we are willing to suspend our belief in realities. Having the wheel in your hands carries a feeling of being in control when reality a blown tire, suicidal driver, or texting idiot pretty much negate that "control".
I cant get up on a ladder higher than 10 feet without the feeling of falling off, so I cant even get on my roof to clean gutters. But I can fly in a plane any time and have no concerns or fears. Mentally I can suspend the belief that I am in the air, it feels like sitting in a big room to me. I cant trick myself on a ladder though!
The first plane trip or two landing and take off brought some fear in me, but I would think "the pilots wouldn't be working for a pension if they weren't going to land this thing safely every time".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I hope you are proud of yourself; posts like these drive people like me to OMY syndrome:
  • X more months to afford my license
  • Y months to buy the plane
  • Z months for my own hanger
  • Then, ongoing insurance, fuel, occasional overhauls, etc.

Yes, I have always wanted this; but, I am not sure it is worth the additional time at my desk. So, I am probably just going to see if the market is good enough to me that I can do this some day. Until then, I do have well over 1MM frequent flier miles to spend getting off the ground.
I will not lie...when I owned my plane, it was a wonderful thing. When we lived in Texas, it was an easy 2-3 hour jaunt to see the inlaws (who I like) by plane. If we took the car, it was usually a 7-8 hour trip. If it was a long weekend, traffic was HORRIBLE and the car trip could be MORE than 8 hours. No matter HOW bad traffic was, the plane trip was the same 2-3 hours. It was also great for the short trips out for dinner on the coast or some BBQ "up the road".

BUT....it's a VERY EXPENSIVE way to get around. I had one of the CHEAPEST airplanes there is to own and it STILL cost me a ton of cash to have the "privilege" of having it. This was living in Texas, where Avgas was "cheap" and hangars were too (at least in the San Antonio area). If I were to do it again, I would most likely NOT own an airplane again.

Not only to mention the guberment. They really aren't huge fans of little airplanes and there are constant threats to the current way of funding the system. User fees (like used in Europe) will probably happen sooner or later and that will make owning a plane cost prohibitive for most of the "plebes".

But, I do miss it.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I will not lie...when I owned my plane, it was a wonderful thing.<snip>

BUT....it's a VERY EXPENSIVE way to get around. I had one of the CHEAPEST airplanes there is to own and it STILL cost me a ton of cash to have the "privilege" of having it. This was living in Texas, where Avgas was "cheap" and hangars were too (at least in the San Antonio area). If I were to do it again, I would most likely NOT own an airplane again.

Not only to mention the guberment. They really aren't huge fans of little airplanes and there are constant threats to the current way of funding the system. User fees (like used in Europe) will probably happen sooner or later and that will make owning a plane cost prohibitive for most of the "plebes".

But, I do miss it.
That pretty much parallels my experience with the Tri-Pacer I had. Loads of fun, I enjoyed it, but in the end it just costs too much.

For the others, a good Tri-Pacer can be had for ~$25k, but a back-of-the-envelope figure for ownership would be $4,500/year (highly dependent on location) for insurance, annual inspection, maintenance, tiedown or hangar, + about $36/hour for fuel - 9 gallons/hour at $4/gallon.

Not the cheapest way to get around.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #166

I look at it like trying to justify a 100k motorhome or boat. It's a hobby, you have to enjoy it. No way to make the numbers work out. Over the last 3 years it has cost me around $15,000 to $20,000 a year to fly about 100hrs a year. This does not count the cost of the plane itself. Some of the cost were for things I didn't have to have, just wanted.

But it is something my wife and I both enjoy, or at least she likes going places. We sold the RV and truck as we did that for a few years and she much prefers flying and staying in hotels now.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Here's a solution to many of the boarding problems that discourage people from flying:

Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's a solution to many of the boarding problems that discourage people from flying:

Gotta love (some of) those Canadian airlines.......we've flown WestJet a few times, they generally try to inject some humor into the safety instructions.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

A few yrs ago I thought very serious about buy and learning how to fly to qet to property we just sold. 1.) Really glad I didn't because we sold the property. 2.) We are kinda close to a small airport now and all the planes ever do is go up make a few circles and then land. Others do several take offs and landings multiple times. Seems so Boooorrrring. I think I'd die from falling asleep.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
A few yrs ago I thought very serious about buy and learning how to fly to qet to property we just sold. 1.) Really glad I didn't because we sold the property. 2.) We are kinda close to a small airport now and all the planes ever do is go up make a few circles and then land. Others do several take offs and landings multiple times. Seems so Boooorrrring. I think I'd die from falling asleep.
Having taken flying lessons once upon a time, the repeated take off and landing is an important part of keeping ones skill level as a pilot up. These are called touch and gos. Also pilots need to log 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days to stay legal to fly. (as well as a flight review every 24 months)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #171

Very nice dm! I like the same option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N2846N-1.jpg (64.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to hijack this thread :^) but in 40+ years of extensive flying I have only encountered one female pilot. That was on a short leg from Austin to Dallas. I saw her board the plane and enter the cockpit. After we took off she came on the intercom and said this is your Captain Mary and your Co-pilot is .... And it was a name that was not gender-specific. I never did get to see the C0-pilot to see if it was an all female crew. With all the women now going into engineering and such, it is surprising there aren't more pilots. Anyone else encounter one or two?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

I've seen several women pilots or copilots in the last few years. With a lot more women flying in the military it's not so surprising. A couple of decades ago I had only ever seen one.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #174

I've seen two female pilots on a commuter flight about 25 years ago. I've also seen female pilots or first officers on larger commercial flights over the years. There was one flight where the female pilot made a landing where you only knew you landed only because you could hear the wheels rolling on the runway.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

It appears that approximately 5-6% of commercial pilots in the US are women. The proportion apparently has plateaued in recent years. A British study suggested that the lack of female role models is making young women hesitate to become pilots.

Of course it is a very expensive career to get started, it's not well reimbursed in the early stages, the time away from home may be problematic for some.

5 decades of U.S. Female Pilots Statistics

British Airways asked why so few women are becoming pilots, and the answer is shocking | Irish Examiner

And there are still a few sexist passengers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03...n_4896443.html

But there have been some trailblazers for many years. Here's one such pilot (now ER) whom I know I've flown with:

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media...,11329,en.html
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Trivia: Two of the first group of female Air Force pilots (excluding those who flew in WW2) were named Rambo and La Sauce.

Female Air Force Undergraduate Pilot Trainees

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

If one can get to Japan without flying very much, then speedy non-air travel is still possible.

Japanese maglev train breaks its own world speed record

Quote:
The Central Japan Railway company reports that its magnetic levitation bullet train topped 366 miles per hour on Thursday during a test run along a length of test track in the Yamanashi prefecture. This was enough to break its own 12-year-old, 361 mph world record set back in 2003.
But....

Quote:
The rail company plans to limit the trains to a pokey 313 mph for regular service
Old 04-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

trying out Spirit airlines today. It is a pain to go through all of the options on the reservations but the price is the best I could get - even with buying the big seats. If it doesn't work, next time back on the old standards.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #179

When I was much younger I enjoyed flying. No TSA lines, few crowds, pretty good service, you could smoke on the plane and there were new places to go. Many times I would drive in and park at the airport with just 15 or 20 minutes to go before the flight was scheduled to leave and made it without any problems. I flew when I was working out of necessity (although I think a lot of travel was really not necessary) I can remember in my early days of business travel, the first question many of us asked, where are we going, not why are we going. The last few years I would refuse to fly unless there was an overwhelming and obvious business need and I was going to be flying business or 1st class.

I'm glad I got to see so many international destinations in Europe and Asia (for free) that I visited while working (and while I was younger) since I would have never gone on my own dime and certainly would not deal with the flying hassles of today now that I'm retired. These days, I refuse to fly, even in the US. Probably since I now have the time and love to drive and have no desire for anymore international travel.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
When I was much younger I enjoyed flying. No TSA lines, few crowds, pretty good service, you could smoke on the plane and there were new places to go. Many times I would drive in and park at the airport with just 15 or 20 minutes to go before the flight was scheduled to leave and made it without any problems.
I lived about 30 minutes from the airport.

Back in the late 70's the flights were always soooo late that I would leave my house at 9AM for a flight due to DEPART at 9AM; get there, park my car and easily still make the flight! You just knew that the flights would be an hour or so late for departure.

Also back in the day, there were often nice bars in the upper levels of the control towers...people would go there for a drink and the view and watch the planes come and go. And they weren't even going anywhere!; they'd just say: "lets go to the airport bar for a drink"; even at Boston's Logan airport, parking wasn't a big deal and no security.