Join Early Retirement Today

food and water on plane
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

food and water on plane

I've tried the TSA website and can't figure out if we can take bottled water and some sandwiches aboard a flight from LA to Philly. The airlines website just forwards to the TSA site which doesn't spell it out. Last time I flew was a couple of years ago and you had to ditch your water before boarding but I think we took some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Anyone know for sure? Eventual destination is Madrid, but there's a layover and plane switch involved.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You have to ditch your water before the security check point (if over 3 oz). Then you can buy water after the checkpoint and brink it on the plane. Or you can bring an empty container and fill it up at the drinking fountain after security. Sandwiches seem to be OK.

That was from last week. The rules may have changed since then.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
gone traveling

You can take bottled water and sandwiches- but you will have to buy the bottled water on the secure side of the screening area.

Some airports will let you bring empty water bottles through screening; you can fill them up if you can find a water fountain. Pretty easy to find out- I'd bring a couple of clean, dry, one-liter clear bottles; TSA will just toss them if they don't like them... after performing a thorough cavity search, of course... Collapsible plastic bottle are another option- look for them at REI or a similar outdoor outfitter.

The little single-serving Crystal Light drink mix pouches are good to carry for a change of pace; you can always find bottled water.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks a bunch. We drink a lot of water so I guess we'll load up before crossing the security check and buy some more on the other side. Just prefer not to pay $7 for an airline sandwich and $3 or whatever for something to drink on board.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Thanks a bunch. We drink a lot of water so I guess we'll load up before crossing the security check and buy some more on the other side. Just prefer not to pay $7 for an airline sandwich and $3 or whatever for something to drink on board.
I hope you mean you will load up on empty bottles before crossing the security check. Otherwise you will have to throw them away (waste) or drink all of it (not healthy).

I have never seen security objecting to empty bottles, so this should be OK.

You could also find out about the airline's on-board procedure; do they sell drinks or provide them for free. American Airlines for instance still provides free (non-alcoholic) drinks on board.
2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
A 20 oz empty water bottle and a 12" Subway sandwich have become my constant airport companions since 9/11. On longer flights, 2 subs may be required. Airport food and beverages are ridiculously expensive due to the captive nature of the travelers. I like the idea of bringing along powdered drink mix in a baggie to jazz up the water that I get from the water fountain inside of the security area.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have taken ample empty water bottles through security and never been questioned. On the other hand I have never been able to smuggle a filled water bottle through security. So dump them in the water fountain or sink right before security then fill them up right on the other side.

Maybe new airport terminals will have stations right next to security for dumping out water, and then water fountains right after security for refilling them.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
A 20 oz empty water bottle and a 12" Subway sandwich have become my constant airport companions since 9/11. On longer flights, 2 subs may be required. Airport food and beverages are ridiculously expensive due to the captive nature of the travelers. I like the idea of bringing along powdered drink mix in a baggie to jazz up the water that I get from the water fountain inside of the security area.
better be careful with white powder in a baggie...folks might get the wrong idea....
Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

ditto on the crystal light powder. Those things are great.
Nuts, trail mix, slim jims and toastchee crackers are what I take with me, plus a regular reusable plastic water bottle. The kind that will kill you, not those fancy-pants metal ones.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nuts.....are what I take with me...
me, too.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On my last trip, the airline actually advised people to bring their own food and drink on board...

It was supposed to be a short hop to NYC but we ran out of fuel over Maryland... We had to divert to Baltimore to refuel (BWI's fire trucks were waiting for us on the tarmac... hum... apparently we were flying on fumes). Since our regional jet had limited supplies of food and drinks on board, the captain gave us 30 minutes to run to the terminal and bring back something to eat and drink on board while we waited for ATC clearance. That was a great idea too, because we sat for another 3 hours by the runway before being cleared...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just flew my 36th flight of 2009. So far on every flight they offered free beverage (water, coffee, pop). Continental even provided a meal. Granted I mostly fly on 4 airlines, so your airline may be different.

On the other hand, today the airport I left from was very careful in screening bags. They even double-checked my contact lens solution, which was in a 2.5 oz bottle. I saw them doing it with other passengers too. Highly recommend not taking any liquid over 3 oz. to avoid the hassel factor.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
On the other hand, today the airport I left from was very careful in screening bags. They even double-checked my contact lens solution, which was in a 2.5 oz bottle. I saw them doing it with other passengers too. Highly recommend not taking any liquid over 3 oz. to avoid the hassel factor.
I'm *pretty* sure contact lens solutions are not subject to the 3 oz. limit, but the traveler is supposed to declare them to the screener (of course, if a screener thinks a product violates the rules, into the garbage it will go!):

From TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
Quote:
You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as .... saline solution, or other liquids....
You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

When we've traveled by plane with the kids, we take a ton of food (including single-serve applesauce cups) and our own water bottles. The water bottles have to be empty to go through security. They've never even looked twice at the food. Customs in Madrid will, though, so I'd only take what I could reasonably eat while on the plane.

The Crystal Light powder is a great idea, but I'd only take the ones that are already packaged in the Crystal Light wrapper. It'll just make it easier to get through security and on with it.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm *pretty* sure contact lens solutions are not subject to the 3 oz. limit, but the traveler is supposed to declare them to the screener (of course, if a screener thinks a product violates the rules, into the garbage it will go!):

From TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
We got hit on contact lens solution in Europe. We got a "TSA appoved" size in the US--I think it was 3.5 or 4 ounces which made me wonder, but the TSA thing made me think it was ok, and put it in the quart baggie, and in Heathrow the guy said it was too big for Europe, that there was a small difference in size between the US and there (100 ml). We had to pitch it. They probably wouldn't have found it in our bag.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #16

For what its worth the liquid products must be in containers that state on the package that it is 3 oz. regardless of the actual amount in the container.
For example you can have multiple 3 oz containers of the same product but (for example) not one container listed as 8 oz with less than 3 oz of product. Go figure.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #17

Well the water and food was not a problem, just a brutal flight. In Madrid now and having a blast. Going to an Aikido dojo tonight to work out with the Madrilenos. Training it to Salamanca on Friday to meet up with friends. Be teaching Aikido classes over the weekend there. Man is it busy here! People moving around all over, doesn´t look like any recession here.