Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey - one time I went into a Vietnamese grocery to ask for the coffee that they use to make that drip Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk (what a sin!) and the grocery came out with a can of "Cafe du Monde" ground coffee with chicory!

Audrey
I get my Cafe du Monde ground coffee at the local SE Asian grocery store too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doc's office called - 208 on the chloresterol.

Went out bought a box of Zatarain's, some flash frozen 21-30 count shrimp, a few russet potatoes for fries, and Criso oil - fired up the old Euro-pro deep fat fryer and ate good.

I did drink some V-8 V-Fusion Light on the rocks - you know for the veggies and fruit.

heh heh heh - to borrow from a frequent poster on this forum. 'Eat what you want and die like a man.' No Puffer fish or exotic stuff for me - I plan on croaking the old fashioned way.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

UncleMick, maybe your doctor can prescribe a cholesterol med that will bring yours down to where he wants. (Or is 208 low enough?) I, for one, would hate to see you "die like a man" earlier than you need to! You add a lot to our discussions.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
UncleMick, maybe your doctor can prescribe a cholesterol med that will bring yours down to where he wants. (Or is 208 low enough?) I, for one, would hate to see you "die like a man" earlier than you need to! You add a lot to our discussions.
Believe or not he thinks that's ok - he went to High School in Metaire. I would rather get below the 160-180 range I ran when I lived in New Orleans and ate New Orleans food. ??More Garlic/Onion/Italian?

heh heh heh - Just checked Community, French Market as well as Cafe Du Monde still make Chicory blends. We used Community Blue (reg) and Community Coffee and Chicory - two separate pots at the fish camp when I lived there.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Believe or not he thinks that's ok - he went to High School in Metaire.
GREAT! Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick
I would rather get below the 160-180 range I ran when I lived in New Orleans and ate New Orleans food. ??More Garlic/Onion/Italian?
I don't know! Mine was 250 or so, then my doc put me on meds, and now it is about 140. Can't stop eating Italian but I did that before, too.
If you miss New Orleans Italian, try http://www.salandjudys.com/index.php . They will ship. Not quite perfect but better than Ragu, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick
heh heh heh - Just checked Community, French Market as well as Cafe Du Monde still make Chicory blends. We used Community Blue (reg) and Community Coffee and Chicory - two separate pots at the fish camp when I lived there.
You can get Cafe du Monde coffee online, y'know - - they'll ship it to you. Coffee & Biegnets - Cafe Dumonde Original French Market Coffee Stand

We always had Community Coffee at work, one pot chicory and other pots not, and it is good. My favorite coffee is Morning Call, but now I just drink half decaf, half regular and soon it will have to be all decaf if I ever want to sleep.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
In all seriousness, I stayed in Germany for a few weeks. The breakfasts in the hotel were rocking with a lot of variety, but the dinners consisted of a lot of game. I have never had so much venison in my life.
I like the breakfasts in Germany too. We have most of the same things here, its just not classified as breakfast food so we dont eat it in the morning.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Driving cross country from south TX to GA on I-10, had to stop for cajun before Lafayette. Went by Fezzo's and got some very early season crawfish boil - small but yum!

That made up for missing out last January due to a drought - what?!?!?! no crawfish ?!?! Whaddya mean drought in LA?!?!?! That blew my mind.

Speaking of LA Italian, our best friend from Lafayette had an Italian mother and said there was a pretty good sized Italian community. I always assumed Fezzo's was an Italian name and pronounced it "fetzo". But I was informed this time that it was "feezo", French for spool. I had never noticed a double z in French, but it's been a long time since I studied French.

Anyway - cajun - hmmmmmmm, gooooood.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
France - particularly southern France. Lyon and the surrounding area is "it" when it comes to French gastronomy...
Being that I worked in Lyon for many years (based in the U.S.) I must agree.

Lyon is recogonized in France as the #1 city for food (yes, above Paris - or "Paree" ). I've spent a lot of time in both cities, and many others around the world.

Lyon for me, is the best....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

DW just blessed me with "The Justin Wilson Cookbook" [how can you live without a recipe for broiled squirrel?] and Paul Prudhomme's "Fiery Foods That I Love" for Christmas!

I had a request from the male child for jambalaya for Christmas dinner. Overruled by DW, but I gonna make it on Saturday.

You know where my heart is.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Lyon is recognized in France as the #1 city for food...
Lyon for me, is the best....
We have been to Lyon as a day trip from Geneva by riding the train. I knew of it as the culinary center of France, but of course did not have time nor the courage to open the wallet to visit the restaurant by Bocuse (how many months to reserve in advance?).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Hadn't thought of that, but yes they (roosters) are quite endowed in the testicular area. However, I don't have a lot of comparisons to model against .
...how do we get onto these subjects anyway
Testacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I had no idea that octupuses even had balls.

Ha
Only octopricks...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote