Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We found out about Rick way back in 1990 a few months before our wedding. Our honeymoon was two plus weeks rambling around Europe using Euro-rail his guidebook and we loved it. It been many trips and almost 30 years later and we still use his books and website. He has saved us so much time and money and has led us into so many memorable experiences. We've always been independant travelers so I can't comment on the guided tours.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I don't have a subscription either, but they allow a limited number of reads, so possibly you used yours up on other articles ?

You could try another browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
If you open the article in an "incognito" browser window (press CTRL-SHIFT+N if using Chrome), you should be able to read it.
I did not try the "Incognito" mode because some Web sites like Bloomberg are not fooled by it.

But I was able to read the article on another laptop.

Anyway, I liked to watch his videos for travel info, because he champions independent travel. Then, I learned that he had a franchise for organized tours, and found that perplexing because that would defeat the purpose.

I did not know about his political inclination, and did not care or see the need to know (but now I do).

The article portrays him as an ebullient person, and he would make me nervous. I would not like a travel companion like that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Another guru of travel for me has been Clark Howard, an ex-travel agent out of Atlanta. He wrote in the Atlanta newspaper and had both television spots and a afternoon radio show broadcasted on talk radio stations. Clark used to come up with incredible travel airfares and weekend excursions. I still watch his online travel info for domestic and international travel--looking for deals. And we only travel when airfares are a real deal.
This guy?
https://clark.com/travel/travel-book...lanning-guide/
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Besides Rick Steves' videos, I have also run across those by Rudy Maxa, which I also enjoy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We saw Steves give a talk at a Cascade Symphony Christmas concert. He was hanging out in the lobby during intermission, and when he walked by us he smiled and said hi. I was star struck! .
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I haven't bought guide books in a long time but never bought one of his.

Have seen some of his shows, just to see the look of the place.

His website has forums and there's some good useful threads there.

My budget has grown over the years and I don't look for the rock bottom bargains any more.

But the article makes it clear that Rick targets people who've never traveled internationally, not so much the experienced travelers.

He's obviously inspired millions to get passports and travel and he's also put a lot of places on the map or as target destinations for a lot of Americans.

Article makes it sound like he still stays in the budget accommodations that he touts in his books and shows. I guess that is his upbringing, like the orange juice thing.

So instead of splurging, he's given a lot of money to causes that he believes in.

I don't know if the fact that he still goes to hotels and restaurants he recommends makes him more authentic than other tour guides. He walks the talk but I would imagine most people here are looking for something nicer than what he typically recommends for the more budget-minded.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

I don't know if the fact that he still goes to hotels and restaurants he recommends makes him more authentic than other tour guides. He walks the talk but I would imagine most people here are looking for something nicer than what he typically recommends for the more budget-minded.
I have to disagree with the last point. While they are not 5-Star luxury hotels, they tend to be very nice, well appointed, and have all the modern conveniences. IMHO, they are more like a Hampton Inn than a Motel 6. Of course, there was the time we stayed in the monk's lodging cells at a monastery in Bulgaria - no heat, shower in the bathroom that got everything wet, and a thin mat on a cot for sleeping on. But, we were warned.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Of course, there was the time we stayed in the monk's lodging cells at a monastery in Bulgaria - no heat, shower in the bathroom that got everything wet, and a thin mat on a cot for sleeping on.
Luxury!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have to disagree with the last point. While they are not 5-Star luxury hotels, they tend to be very nice, well appointed, and have all the modern conveniences. IMHO, they are more like a Hampton Inn than a Motel 6. Of course, there was the time we stayed in the monk's lodging cells at a monastery in Bulgaria - no heat, shower in the bathroom that got everything wet, and a thin mat on a cot for sleeping on. But, we were warned.
I don't know about 5 stars.

I haven't used his books but when there's talk about cheap backpacks and "Europe on a shoestring" it doesn't sound like it matches the budgets of many here, let alone what Rick can afford.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We generally don't heavily use Rick Steves' books for hotel and restaurant recommendations. We might use his hotel recommendations as a starting point to get an idea of neighbourhoods to stay in, general pricing for comparables, etc. But there are so many accommodation tools and resources out there that we generally find something else that fits within our parameters better.

Similarly, we do a lot of research pre-trip on places to eat and the eateries end up being an activity/destination for us. And TBH, we've had mixed results with some of his restaurant recommendations though we'll reference his list for a neighbourhood in a pinch if at least for descriptions. Again, there's so many tools and resources for food options.

What I like about his books are: self guided city/neighbourhood walking itineraries, site/attraction walkthru's, quick access to info like good instructions on how to get somewhere, basic maps (some people hate them tho), etc. I can obviously utilize the cell phone but I'm also trying to maintain battery life for long days of sightseeing. I try to compile notes during pre-trip research too for easy reference during the trip but sometimes I run out of time.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think Rick Steves’ hotel recommendations are more about good value as he tends to steer readers away from the more expensive tourist hotel areas into nearby safe neighborhoods that have good hotels that aren’t as expensive yet still have food access to popular areas. It’s certainly not Europe on a shoestring.

We personally don’t use his hotel recommendations as we do tend to go for the more expensive hotels that in the heart of popular areas.

Restaurants hit or miss. We usually find our own through other review sites and local or hotel recommendations.

His coverage of sites worth visiting, incredible details about sites, city walks, written guided tours of sites, local transportation, getting to various locations, suggestions of how to budget your time both at the micros and macro level, local guides, sites ranked by “must see”, are all extremely valuable and time saving, the main reason I buy his books.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
suggestions of how to budget your time both at the micros and macro level, local guides, sites ranked by “must see”, are all extremely valuable and time saving, the main reason I buy his books.
+1. I also find the time budgeting guidance handy, particularly in his cruising/ports of call series.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

What does he say, spend x minutes at this attraction, y minutes at this other attraction, etc.?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What does he say, spend x minutes at this attraction, y minutes at this other attraction, etc.?
On the macro level he give several suggested itineraries for a given country and city area saying if you have X days do this, if you have two more days add this. He’ll mention how many days you need to explore a given city.

He does suggest how much time you need at a given attraction at a minimum. Usually in hours.

But he also guides you through many attractions, suggesting which section you might want to spend more time in, and if there are sections you might want to skip. For the more significant sites he’ll narrate a detailed walk through. I often read or skim these ahead which helps me get oriented and keep an eye out for items of particular personal interest. He also describes the audio/visual guides available and whether essential or not worth it.

BTW we tend to take his timing suggestions and double them as we have learned from experience. It has to do with our attention spans which I suppose are longer than his typical reader? We tend to get engrossed in things and like to have plenty of time to indulge that. We took two full days to visit the Alhambra, for example. I remember one Trip Advisor “destination expert” telling me that was a ridiculous plan and no one needed more than a day there. Glad we ignored that. If Rick Steves says you need 2 days to explore a given destination, we’ll often budget 4. This lets us relax the pace, have more time to goof off as well as more time at sites.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #35

For Rick Steves fans

I have used his materials many times and have benefited greatly from them, particularly with respect to basic travel skills in Europe on our many trips across the pond. The only problem I have with his materials is when the ensuing uptick in travel ruins the quaint site that HE originally saw.

In many instances the rest of us don’t get that same experience. The Cinque Terre is probably the best example of that in my experience. What were once quiet villages, as you see in his original episodes about them, are now overrun with tourists as I saw on a recent visit there. Unless you go off season it’s not a pleasant experience IMHO.

As people are typically interested in different things, sites don’t always seem to have such a huge increase in tourists, but for those that do, wow. It’s amazing the number of times and places I’ve seen people walking through the streets or waiting in a line, carrying one of his guides in hand.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
On the macro level he give several suggested itineraries for a given country and city area saying if you have X days do this, if you have two more days add this. He’ll mention how many days you need to explore a given city.

He does suggest how much time you need at a given attraction at a minimum. Usually in hours.

But he also guides you through many attractions, suggesting which section you might want to spend more time in, and if there are sections you might want to skip. For the more significant sites he’ll narrate a detailed walk through. I often read or skim these ahead which helps me get oriented and keep an eye out for items of particular personal interest. He also describes the audio/visual guides available and whether essential or not worth it.

BTW we tend to take his timing suggestions and double them as we have learned from experience. It has to do with our attention spans which I suppose are longer than his typical reader? We tend to get engrossed in things and like to have plenty of time to indulge that. We took two full days to visit the Alhambra, for example. I remember one Trip Advisor “destination expert” telling me that was a ridiculous plan and no one needed more than a day there. Glad we ignored that. If Rick Steves says you need 2 days to explore a given destination, we’ll often budget 4. This lets us relax the pace, have more time to goof off as well as more time at sites.
OK I could see how that would be useful. I do Google searches for x day itineraries for locations, to give an idea of what kind of ground could be covered in a certain time period as well as get an overview or map.

Frommers.com used to have such content, like 1 or 2 week itineraries or itineraries for families, etc. That content was taken directly from their guide books, so you really didn't need to buy their books, though the website wasn't always up to date.

But they've taken off a lot of that content.

I've never seen content from RS guide books so he probably never put that content online. But as I said, his forums are sometimes useful.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I buy the iBooks, so it’s handy up to pull up info on my iPhone or iPad.

Compared to Googling I’d say it’s 10x more time efficient. I find internet searches pretty inefficient as it takes a long time to get down to the nitty gritty. With the Steves books it’s very quick to figure things out. I’m not talking about one thing, more about making things fit together - the logistics, any gotchas, etc.

I just know this from going to places he doesn’t cover - I spend far more time online trying to figure it all out.

Also he has a nice set of free podcasts including some very well done guided walks with audio and maps. Rick Steves Audio Tours https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...audio/podcasts.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
I've never seen content from RS guide books so he probably never put that content online.
His books can be had for a low, low price if used is acceptable.
https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?a...steves&mtype=B
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
His books can be had for a low, low price if used is acceptable.
https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?a...steves&mtype=B
I don't buy guidebooks any more because there's plenty of information online, especially in forums where you can ask specific questions.

Also don't have to pack and carry around a thick, heavy book.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #40

He has an App (FREE) with maps and audio tours of several sites that we found a lot of fun and useful and informative.

In his books -which we downloaded to our devices from our local library via hoopla App - we discovered very helpful tour info and suggestions (eg The Mount Olivetto Abbey near Siena - complete with a panel by panel guide thru the many Frescoes making them much more accessible and entertaining.)

His hotel and restaurant recommendations are apparently deeply skewed by whomever his local guide is in an area. So he misses quite a bit by letting them push their favorites (who knows how they decide whom to promote).
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote