Join Early Retirement Today

Forgetting things on vacation
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Forgetting things on vacation

We just got back from a trip to Cape Cod. We stayed at a Days Inn - nice, not luxurious, but the service was outstanding. When we first arrived, I found (to my great dismay) that I had not packed a phone charger. I assumed that I would have to buy one but, also assuming that I wasn't the only person who ever did this, I went down to the front desk to inquire. Lo and behold, they had an entire box full of phone chargers that had been left by other visitors over time. The front desk rummaged through, and in short order, found one to fit my phone. He said, "keep it, we have lots!" I used it while I was there, but turned it in at the end for the next guy. Nice experience, lucky me!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I know one forum member (not me!) who left on an extended summer vacation to the mountains - where temps drop into the 30's and 40's - and forgot his long pants...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the California coast from the muggy, hot SEC during college.
Took no long pants and only short sleeved shirts. Good thing my friend and I were about the same size then.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

As a teen, I flew from Boston to London in August with miniskirts and t-shirts in my bag. I really needed to buy tights (the American kind) to stay warm, but I didn't understand that "tights" meant "pantyhose" over there. So I shivered through with my British "tights" and never disregarded a weather report again!
I have a packing list saved on my computer, with last-minute items like chargers and dental mouthguard highlighted. I check the list before I leave home and before I check out of the hotel to make sure I didn't forget those items.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know one forum member (not me!) who left on an extended summer vacation to the mountains - where temps drop into the 30's and 40's - and forgot his long pants...
Hey, one time DH forgot to pack any shirts! We had to stop at the Bealls in Roswell, New Mexico - only city left on the way to our destination.

More troubles from Roswell - something didn't agree with him at dinner. I took him to the emergency room at 3:00am. They doped him up with narcotic anti-nausea medicine, so he slept all though the fabulous views of the pass through the mountains near Cloudcroft, and ended up missing the first two days of our photo safari.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
As a teen, I flew from Boston to London in August with miniskirts and t-shirts in my bag. I really needed to buy tights (the American kind) to stay warm, but I didn't understand that "tights" meant "pantyhose" over there. So I shivered through with my British "tights" and never disregarded a weather report again!
I have a packing list saved on my computer, with last-minute items like chargers and dental mouthguard highlighted. I check the list before I leave home and before I check out of the hotel to make sure I didn't forget those items.
That's a great idea! Long time ago our family went on a vacation and I forgot to bring any underwear. Had to stop and buy some. My kids haven't let me forget it, to this day. Everyonce in awhile that topic comes up. Next time I'll tell them about "my" computer list.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When I packed a bag before leaving town, I always felt like I was forgetting something. So now I use a packing list app on my iPad. It provides me with great peace of mind.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

I once put my bag down to lock the front door and forgot it there! I didn't realize it till I got to my destination (by car). Luckily, it was only a weekend trip and a quick visit to the mall solved the problem. I also had nice neighbors who kept the bag safe for me.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Forgot my underwear once on the way to a conference. Amazingly, one of my colleagues did the same! Luckily our conference was in a convention centre with a big mall attached. We both bolted for the mall at the first coffee break. It was a fun bonding experience!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that I have learned is that no matter what you forget, you can almost always buy it when you get there... not always, but mostly...

One of my sisters knew someone who would pack old clothes when she went somewhere.... and would leave them when she left so she could fit more stuff in when going home... I have tried this method, but can't give up anything....

The last few trips when we flew, we would buy a cheap ice chest to keep with us in the rental so we could always have cold drinks or even keep lunch cool... just a cost of vacation....
Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the things that I have learned is that no matter what you forget, you can almost always buy it when you get there... not always, but mostly...
Mostly. DH has allergies, and but sudafed takes care of it really well. But you can't get sudafed in Europe or mexico.

There's also things that are hard to shop for anywhere, like a bathing suit, so I always put that in my carry-on. I have enough trouble at home finding one, I'm not going to count on finding one at my destination.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, I remember that guy
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Administrator

Due to traveling so very much in my childhood, I have never forgotten anything on a trip.

The one exception would be the Hurricane Katrina evacuation trip, when I "forgot" my car (rode with my beloved F), and my photographs, and nearly everything else. I had my laptop and 2 days' change of clothing. I thought we would be back in about 48 hours. Oops.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot my medications once on a ten day trip. Had to get a temporary prescription from my doctor for my high blood pressure medication. Walgreen's was great about contacting my doctor, filling prescription, etc.The worse one was when I left my car keys in my Florida hotel room before flying back home. Had to call a locksmith at airport and take cab to meet him. Locksmith had to break into my house at about 11 pm on a Friday night. Then I took a cab back to the airport parking to pick up my car.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #15

We also use a packing list that I created years ago. I print one off for each trip, AND take it with us. I leave it laying in plain sight, and jot down things I wish I'd brought (scissors, clothespins, for example) and then work from that list for the next trip.

It's h*ll getting old, isn't it?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #16

When we got married DH left all his underwear in his mother's clothes dryer. We drove 3 days to our honeymoon destination (ski resort in the off season) with the pair he was wearing and a spare pair from the dirty clothes hamper at our apartment. Every night he washed a pair for the next morning, squeezed it out in a towel and hung it to dry. When we finally made it to our resort we spent the first day shopping for underwear at a very posh men's ski shop. Actually, it was very pleasant because it was a beautiful day and it gave us a chance to explore. And laugh.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
When we got married DH left all his underwear in his mother's clothes dryer. We drove 3 days to our honeymoon destination (ski resort in the off season) with the pair he was wearing and a spare pair from the dirty clothes hamper at our apartment. Every night he washed a pair for the next morning, squeezed it out in a towel and hung it to dry. When we finally made it to our resort we spent the first day shopping for underwear at a very posh men's ski shop. Actually, it was very pleasant because it was a beautiful day and it gave us a chance to explore. And laugh.
Perhaps your DH simply wanted to go commando.

omni
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For some reason I find these stories of what people left behind on their trips very enjoyable.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Ya'll people must be vacationing to some fancy high falutin' places if forgetting things like pants, shirts, and underwear are impediments to enjoying your vacations.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #20

When I was in my early 20's I travelled with my (now ex-)husband for an important business event for him. There was a dinner with spouses and I had brought an appropriate dress, shoes, etc. But the dress was a little sheer and I forgot a slip. He was furious at me, and made sure that I was careful not to stand anywhere near a window or bright light all evening. Makes me laugh now