Join Early Retirement Today
Fun Things to Do/See in Asheville, NC?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Fun Things to Do/See in Asheville, NC?

Do you have any favorite places to see/go to in Asheville, NC? Will be there over a weekend and would like to check-out any suggestions folks may have. Thanks!

Kamei is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The most obvious thing to do in Asheville is a tour of the Biltmore Estate. We also really enjoyed the LaZoom comedy tour of the city. It's not something we'd ordinarily do, but some local friends had taken it numerous times and recommended it to us. We're glad they did. It's a blast.

And of course no trip to a foodie town like Asheville is complete without some good food. A first stop of ours is Nightbell for some craft cocktails. Once we're good and lubricated we head over to Zambra for round after round of tapas.

Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
Breweries and taprooms: Wicked Weed, French Broad, Highland, Innovation, Green Man, to name a few. Curaté is also good for tapas; if you're just there for the weekend 12 Bones will be closed. Live music somewhere, including on the street. The best things to do during the day are the paddling, hiking, and biking in the area.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All of the above are great things to do. I once drove the Blue Ridge Parkway southwest of Asheville about 4:30 a.m., and the sun up from the top of the mountains (south of Haysville) was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in a long time.

I was the Blue Ridge Mountains yesterday morning. I find the East Tennessee, Western North Carolina and Northwest Georgia region to be one of the most beautiful places in the eastern U.S. And Asheville's one of the most livable cities, too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
+1 for touring the Biltmore Estate. I would recommend getting the audio tour, it takes about 1.5 hours and explains a lot of the history.

If you like walking, the North Carolina Arboretum is nice.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
One World Brewery is a neat little place, tucked away.
The drum circles downtown are also fun, high energy, and great people watching.
Nice city. And driving the parkway, even for a little stretch is definitely worthwhile.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We love visiting Asheville, eclectic mix of wealthy & hippies something like Chapel Hill, Santa Cruz, etc.

I think it's worth visiting the Biltmore once, but it's pricey, probably costs a fortune to maintain a place like that.

My favorite restaurant is Tupelo Honey Cafe | Southern Food is Good For the Soul, the one downtown. Casual but good.

I assume you've seen this good resource
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
Asheville is a nice place to visit, eat and drink beer, but not to live. Too many people crowded downtown with limited parking. Better to live in a small town 20 to 30 minutes away.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Check out the art galleries. There is a vibrant local artist community. There's the river side (or river walk) art district and also some big galleries that carry all sorts of artistic stuff. Great browsing. I'm always amazed at how good a lot of the art is.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Asheville is probably one of our favorite weekend destinatons. It's only a few short hours from home and there is plenty to do. Biltmore is nice, but I think it just takes too much time if you are there for just a couple of days.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
There is/was a cool bookstore restaurant in town. Can't recall the name but Google will know.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote