Fun Things to Do/See in Asheville, NC?

Kamei

Dryer sheet wannabe
Do you have any favorite places to see/go to in Asheville, NC? Will be there over a weekend and would like to check-out any suggestions folks may have. Thanks!

The most obvious thing to do in Asheville is a tour of the Biltmore Estate. We also really enjoyed the LaZoom comedy tour of the city. It's not something we'd ordinarily do, but some local friends had taken it numerous times and recommended it to us. We're glad they did. It's a blast.

And of course no trip to a foodie town like Asheville is complete without some good food. A first stop of ours is Nightbell for some craft cocktails. Once we're good and lubricated we head over to Zambra for round after round of tapas.

Breweries and taprooms: Wicked Weed, French Broad, Highland, Innovation, Green Man, to name a few. Curaté is also good for tapas; if you're just there for the weekend 12 Bones will be closed. Live music somewhere, including on the street. The best things to do during the day are the paddling, hiking, and biking in the area.

All of the above are great things to do. I once drove the Blue Ridge Parkway southwest of Asheville about 4:30 a.m., and the sun up from the top of the mountains (south of Haysville) was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in a long time.

I was the Blue Ridge Mountains yesterday morning. I find the East Tennessee, Western North Carolina and Northwest Georgia region to be one of the most beautiful places in the eastern U.S. And Asheville's one of the most livable cities, too.

+1 for touring the Biltmore Estate. I would recommend getting the audio tour, it takes about 1.5 hours and explains a lot of the history.

If you like walking, the North Carolina Arboretum is nice. www.ncarboretum.org

One World Brewery is a neat little place, tucked away.
The drum circles downtown are also fun, high energy, and great people watching.
Nice city. And driving the parkway, even for a little stretch is definitely worthwhile.

Last edited:
Asheville is a nice place to visit, eat and drink beer, but not to live. Too many people crowded downtown with limited parking. Better to live in a small town 20 to 30 minutes away.

Check out the art galleries. There is a vibrant local artist community. There's the river side (or river walk) art district and also some big galleries that carry all sorts of artistic stuff. Great browsing. I'm always amazed at how good a lot of the art is.

Asheville is probably one of our favorite weekend destinatons. It's only a few short hours from home and there is plenty to do. Biltmore is nice, but I think it just takes too much time if you are there for just a couple of days.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

There is/was a cool bookstore restaurant in town. Can't recall the name but Google will know.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom