Galapagos Islands

Thanks for the quick reply. I was not even thinking of altitude and how that would affect me. Sounds like if one is going to do this trip, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later.

Pam

Dreamer the key factor is your body's oxygen conversion efficiency. It will be naturally higher if you live in Denver rather than the lowlands. It is possible to train for low oxygen content survival. It has nothing to do with age, although being in good shape will demand less oxygen.

Think I would rather do Machu Picchu FIRST and then go to Galapagos

Think I would rather do Machu Picchu FIRST and then go to Galapagos

This is how I was planning it. And spend a few days acclimating to the altitude before going to Machu Picchu

Chile is awesome - we went there to go skiing in the Andes - loved it - we want to go to the Atacama desert next time and the Patagonia for hiking.....the Colchuaga Valley is their "Napa" and Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar are very nice. Santiago is an urban city that is affordable.

We thought about settling there....is one of the more beautiful countries in the world.

And spend a few days acclimating to the altitude before going to Machu Picchu

I would also recommend this. There are a number of interesting things to see around Cusco while you acclimate. The thing that really made the point for me was when coming in to land at Cusco, they had to bleed off the aircraft cabin pressure (usually about 5,000 ft equivalent) because the ambient pressure in Cusco is much lower (11,000 ft).

Machu Picchu is actually lower than Cusco, at about 8,000 ft, but if you're taking the Inca Trail to get there, you hike over a pass that's nearly 14,000 ft. I did fine, but DW had issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom