Galena, IL

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
:greetings10:Hello All. We are going to take a short road trip from NW Indiana to Galena, IL. We are going in mid November for wine tasting weekend they have there every year. We've always wanted to go to Galena and now we are getting the chance. Has anybody ever been there? Besides the wine event we've heard it is a very nice place to visit.

I've been to Galena several times. Eat at the Goldmoor. President Grant's home is a fun tour. Lots of bars and restaurants in a quaint downtown. Several houses for weekend rentals in the Eagle Ridge golf community. Great place for a wine weekend. Have fun!

Looks like this won't go into November, but Jim Post is a great entertainer (he lives in Galena now), so I'd recc it if you can.

Mark Twain and the Laughing River at One Eleven Main | Things To Do in Galena

We rented a big house in Eagle Ridge also, with a few other in-laws. It's nice and scenic, a bit too 'tourist-trappy' downtown for me (but my threshold is very low).

Years ago, we toured a lead mine outside of Galena with our (then) small kids. It was a little family run thing, but it was fun.

Galena travel guide - Wikitravel

-ERD50

My father was born and raised in Galena, and I still have relatives all over the area. His father was first a farmer, then a miner.

A picturesque small town with a population that has been steadily declining for the last century, but still a popular tourist destination.

Galena is adorable. Lots of antique folks from the Chicago area--the rich antique dealers--have moved there. When I was taking care of my Mom I went there to shows a few times. You will love, love, love visiting. Everyone is friendly there and your food/hotel should not be very high either if you look around a little.

Another town to see is LeClaire, Iowa, down the street. My son moved there as he works in Davenport. Another adorable little quaint town (no chain stores and all old--so cute). If you watch "American Pickers" on cable tv they are from LeClaire, and they are situated in an area of the country (Iowa) where alot of those farmers have things stashed away in barns. No dummies are those two guys. Just FYI.

If you go that far wander over to the Quad Cities and have a buffet at one of the gambling boats or Jumer's which is now on land and has a hotel/gambling hall/buffets/entertainment/etc. Everything is cheaper there like Indiana, so you won't get ripped off. Enjoy!!!:D And everyone is friendlier in these areas of the country, too. Lots of motels and food places there (chains that is), because everyone flies in to gamble and party there, so it isn't expensive at all to stay there.

It will take you probably 1-1/2+ hours to drive (I checked with Mapquest on this for you) from Galena thru LeClaire and to the fun in the Quad Cities. For a weekend trip--or even better a 3 day trip--you could have yourselves a ball on the cheap there.

By the way, if you time your trip you could take in a show with top name entertainment in the Quad Cities for less than half what I paid for a ticket in Houston if you time it right.

For years I avoided going back to this area here where I was raised, but in the past 7 years when I took care of my mother till she died back there I grew to really love the friendliness of the people and their kind, caring hearts.
This is such a great area of the country...truly. People still wave at you if you are on the front lawn, and I'm talking about my mother's neighborhood which was a Drs./lawyers/business owner's ghetto--not a farm area. It's amazing to me cause nobody ever did that in innercity Houston or Chicago. I loved it!

Last edited:
Mississippi River Cruises, Mississippi River Cruise, Mississippi Cruises, Mississippi Cruise, Mississippi Riverboat Cruises

Vacationstogo.com--a discounter where I have found the best prices for cruises--has a Mississippi River Cruise department it seems. Hey! If it was good enough for Scarlett and Rhett on their honeymoon.....

I was looking at the map. Coming from NW Indiana you hit Rockford (not much there I don't think) and then Galena. You could go south and hit the Quad Cities and then straight back home on Route 80 making it a nice little vacation. Cool!

Don't know how much you are into Civil War stuff, but Rock Island is where alot of our artillery is made. Big Civil War Cemetery there, too, and lots of Indian stuff as the Blackhawk Indians lived there (part of the Sioux Tribe).

You could set yourself up for a nice trip if you plan this one right I think.

I live about 15 miles from galena and if you go over you visit, go about 10 miles east on hwy 20 any you will see derinda road. in my opinion some of the most beautiful views in the country. also around that area if you are looking for shops and small towns. see savanna, il, mount carroll, elizabeth, and stockton. they are all worth seeing.

:dance: Thanks all for your info. Looking forward to the trip.

Double ditto what frank said. I went to college in Mt Carroll and the area is just beautiful this time of year. Do just like he said, Hwy 20 and all those towns. Don't think you would like winter there but autumn is like out of a painting.
You Might also enjoy Dubuque IA.

Triple ditto what Frank and yakers said. We used to have our yearly partners "retreat" in Galena when my bosses had places there. We usually took rte 20. Then I discovered the scenic route -through Mt Carroll and Savanna and then north to Galena. Most scenic part of Illinois IMO.

Back
Top Bottom