Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Virgin America: Lost Bag getting complete run around
Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Virgin America: Lost Bag getting complete run around

Short story:

Leave Seattle WA for Medellin Columbia on 4/18.

Check one bag all the way through on Virgin America.
Miss connection in SFO, they put me on an American Flight to Dallas
Then Dallas to Mexico City
Mexico City to Medellin Columbia on AeroMexico Airlines (original itinerary)

Result: No bag at Medellin Airport. File a report with baggage claim. 4 days later and no bag. Have called Medellin 3 times.

Not sure where to start to find this bag. I have the tracking number and all my ticket information. Three weeks worth of. clothes etc in this new bag. Thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

My guess is that the bag is at SFO.

They don't like to put bags on a plane that don't have their passenger on the same plane, just for security.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My guess is that the bag is at SFO.

They don't like to put bags on a plane that don't have their passenger on the same plane, just for security.
Thanks. That makes since. When I call lost baggage Virgin . for SFO I get a recording---leave us a message type of thing. There is no "track your bag" that I can find for VA. I'll try again. Cheers.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just sent a prayer to the gods of lost bags on your behalf. Best of luck.

-BB
Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Can you update us when you find your bags please? I'll be interested to know what happened to them. It sounds as if they are sitting safe and sound somewhere - the SFO theory sounds very probable.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Short story:

Leave Seattle WA for Medellin Columbia on 4/18.

Check one bag all the way through on Virgin America.
Miss connection in SFO, they put me on an American Flight to Dallas
Then Dallas to Mexico City
Mexico City to Medellin Columbia on AeroMexico Airlines (original itinerary)

Result: No bag at Medellin Airport. File a report with baggage claim. 4 days later and no bag. Have called Medellin 3 times.

Not sure where to start to find this bag. I have the tracking number and all my ticket information. Three weeks worth of. clothes etc in this new bag. Thoughts?
Check the method of purchase you used for this ticket. Many CC have travel insurance included in with a flight purchase 4 days in you should be able to make a claim with the CC issuer for delayed/lost baggage...this would pay for some replacements items while you luggage is lost
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Check the method of purchase you used for this ticket. Many CC have travel insurance included in with a flight purchase 4 days in you should be able to make a claim with the CC issuer for delayed/lost baggage...this would pay for some replacements items while you luggage is lost
This SEA to MDE Colombia trip was purchased through Priceline with my Barclaycard Arrival + 'Travel Eiite" so I should go that route regarding getting some replacement costs. I'm hesitant to go out and buy all new stuff jus in case they get it to me this week. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Try to tweet @virginatlantic for assistance. Social Media is a great way to get service these days.

Most airlines will also have some reimbursement for a few days of stuff when bags are delayed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #9

Inasmuch as Virgin America is now being Absorbed and Assimilated by the new owner Alaska Airlines , try a call to this fellows office : Benito Minicucci , President & Chief Operating Officer at Alaska Airlines, Inc. and Chief Operating Officer & EVP-Operations at Alaska Air Group, Inc. (206) 392 5040

The buck does stop somewhere. Sometimes a calm, non abusive call to the corporate office can do the trick. Doesn't always work , but give it a try on Monday.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I had this happen years ago and my suitcase never left the original airport. It took me about 3 days to get it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Try to tweet @virginatlantic for assistance. Social Media is a great way to get service these days.

Most airlines will also have some reimbursement for a few days of stuff when bags are delayed.
Thanks just did---can't hurt to try that. They did reply immediately and basically directed me to the same website for "help" but then sent a PM to me as well. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Inasmuch as Virgin America is now being Absorbed and Assimilated by the new owner Alaska Airlines , try a call to this fellows office : Benito Minicucci , President & Chief Operating Officer at Alaska Airlines, Inc. and Chief Operating Officer & EVP-Operations at Alaska Air Group, Inc. (206) 392 5040

The buck does stop somewhere. Sometimes a calm, non abusive call to the corporate office can do the trick. Doesn't always work , but give it a try on Monday.
OP here. Thanks. If I don't hear back tomorrow morning I will take you up on that in a professional manner. VA does not have a bag tracking option and just gives you a phone number to leave a message at. Very 1990's. I also took the suggestion from above Aerids and posted my frustration on Twitter. At least someone acknowledged it. We'll see. No call back yet.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Last time I checked a bag, it was because I was picked out as one of two people on a flight to get enhanced security screening. It was too late to get my bag on the plane--in Prague.

I had to wait in a cheap Atlanta hotel two days for my bag to show up as my electronic car key was in the lost luggage.

Morale: Never check a bag--ever. Only travel with a carry on bag.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Last time I checked a bag, it was because I was picked out as one of two people on a flight to get enhanced security screening. It was too late to get my bag on the plane--in Prague.

I had to wait in a cheap Atlanta hotel two days for my bag to show up as my electronic car key was in the lost luggage.

Well, at least don't check your car keys or anything super important that you can very easily carry.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #15

I don't check for any trip under 1 week, but that also means being really "frugal" with clothing and shoes, etc. I learned to pack tight for 5 day business trips after learning the hard way....

For 3 weeks in another country like OP is doing? Forget it. No way without checking. Even if you plan to launder some of your clothes mid-trip (kinda have to, i don't have 3 weeks worth of underwear!). But even in those cases, I make sure I have 2 days of clothing in my carry on.

And DH and I mix up the contents of our checked bags (some of each of our stuff in each of our bags), figuring chances are that one of them would make it, so that way we have a good week each before we have to start wondering what to do. Or could get by with a little extra laundry.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Which also does not work all the time....

Our last flight a month or so ago they said 'put your bag in there'.... you know, that skinny metal thing they have... it barely did not fit.. they did not let me push it down or zip it up to make it smaller, just said 'you have to check them'... them being DD, DW and mine... and BTW, would have easily fit in the overhead since it was the same when I flew the first leg!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't check for any trip under 1 week, but that also means being really "frugal" with clothing and shoes, etc. I learned to pack tight for 5 day business trips after learning the hard way....

For 3 weeks in another country like OP is doing? Forget it. No way without checking. Even if you plan to launder some of your clothes mid-trip (kinda have to, i don't have 3 weeks worth of underwear!). But even in those cases, I make sure I have 2 days of clothing in my carry on.

And DH and I mix up the contents of our checked bags (some of each of our stuff in each of our bags), figuring chances are that one of them would make it, so that way we have a good week each before we have to start wondering what to do. Or could get by with a little extra laundry.
OP here: I typically carry on as well but this trip being 3 weeks long with 2 stops going down and a 14 hour layover in Mexico City was the driver to check a bag.

Having said that all my important stuff (laptop, cell phone, passport, keys, etc) where in my backpack. What's still in the bag (so to speak) is 10 shirts, shorts, one more pair of paints, socks, UW's.

One thing I learned the hard way is Virgin America (vs Virgin Atlantic) does not have an online baggage tracking system like Delta, American etc.

I picked up some short term clothes to get me by. However I'm a fitness keep and all my workout clothes (and running shoes) are in the bag. I went and bought some nice Nike running shoes at the mall expecting to pay $100 +. They were $50. Amazing...
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

OP again. I did a tweet and got a reaction. It's the most I've seen thus far. Have not given up. Also get a nice reply from the Medellin Colombia Airport manager. He's been checking each night. He confirmed my bag never made it to Aero Mexico Airlines for the connecting flight to Colombia (attached below).

"Good evening, Mr. Smith.
I inform you that your luggage has not yet been located.
The airline with which you started the trip has not made the transfer to Aeromexico."
Best regard
William
aeromexico
medellin
Great city so I won't let this ruin my trip. Cheers.

Virgin America confirms they seem my claim. That's some progress. Keeping the faith.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That does not sound like a lot of fun (two nights waiting at a cheap hotel). Ugh.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 20 years ago, United bumped me from their nonstop flight to Italy to a United flight to Germany, connecting to an Alitalia flight to Italy. My suitcase never arrived in Italy. During my 10 day trip, I couldn't get any information from United about my lost bag or their compensation rules. Ultimately, I learned that the airlines had an agreement that the airline which was supposed to deliver your bag to you (in my case Alitalia) is the airline you have to file your claim with, regardless of which airline is at fault. (I don't know for certain if this agreement is still in effect.)

After I returned home, United found my bag in Costa Rica! Then they lost it again. Then they found it again and eventually got it back to me. Meanwhile, Alitalia agreed that they were the airline I should file my claim with. That turned out to be a good thing, because I learned that at that time, Alitalia's policy was to reimburse expenses at 100%, whereas United's policy was to reimburse at only 50%. Alitalia prompting sent me a check for the entire amount I was claiming.

One added detail was that United lied to me in order to get me to accept voluntary bumping. I pestered them for a long time and eventually received additional compensation from United.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost bag