Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think my wife would go for renting somebodies spare bedroom. We have enough money to get a nice hotel so I think I will skip on Airbnb and VRBO and let all you fine folks have them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I don't think my wife would go for renting somebodies spare bedroom. We have enough money to get a nice hotel so I think I will skip on Airbnb and VRBO and let all you fine folks have them.
You can also rent whole houses. We just got from visiting some of the Utah National Parks, and stayed in a cottage with two bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen. So not necessarily somebody's spare bedroom.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been fortunate enough never to have those kinds of a problem with either VRBO or Airbnb. I'd definitely be asking for a price reduction, and at the least I'd modify your post into your review of the property. Or maybe point out that I'm going to do that if I don't get satisfaction.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I have used VRBO about 12 times in Hawaii, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Oregon and North Carolina, the last 4 years. Never has the place been less than spectacular and well worth the money. We have a trip planned for Western Florida in November, if it still there. Awaiting next installment billing for conditions.

Will never stay in a hotel if I can get a VRBO again.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
When you say Sunday do you mean Sunday the 17th...the return of your deposit should be triggered as soon as the cleaning and walk thru has been done. It should be any minute now. With all due respect you seem a tad bit passive about the entire thing. Did you damage anything in the rental, if not why do you say you hope you get the entire deposit back? You should have expressed to the owners your lack of satisfaction with the almost constant service interruptions and lack of use that caused.
Just some of the comments the owner made when doing the 1st day walk thru. There wasn't any damage to the home that I am aware of.
I guess I am passive due to the fact that it was my first use of VRBO, I wanted to treat the home as I would treat my own, and just the fact that it was someone else's home/property. I know that if it was a hotel (where that is their business day in day out) I would have been very vocal and asked for compensation or just said no.
The rental did end on Sunday the 17th. So I will watch for the deposit reimbursement soon.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
The only way we would (and did) do it was rent a whole house. Don't get me wrong, the house and location was nice. Definitely close to $2 million home (if not more). We both value our privacy too much to do a room or share a house with strangers.

Just looked, Zillow says $1.95M

There isn't a price advantage over a hotel room either, it might have been similar in price to buy 3 hotel rooms for the week, one with a kitchenette.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
With an owner like that about 25 % back. They will say you ruined the nonworking kitchen a/c. And broke the trash compactor. And because of the owners attitude, I suspect they will view you as an extortionist if you ask for any kind of refund from the substandard accommodations.
That is what I am afraid of....
Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
That is what I am afraid of....
There must be a contact thru VRBO either email or cell phone..Is there some reason you don't contact the owner and ask where you desposit is? VRBO is a business and you don't need to treat it as any different then a hotel arrangement. No need to be so passive, how much was your deposit?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Just some of the comments the owner made when doing the 1st day walk thru. There wasn't any damage to the home that I am aware of.
I guess I am passive due to the fact that it was my first use of VRBO, I wanted to treat the home as I would treat my own, and just the fact that it was someone else's home/property. I know that if it was a hotel (where that is their business day in day out) I would have been very vocal and asked for compensation or just said no.
The rental did end on Sunday the 17th. So I will watch for the deposit reimbursement soon.

Thanks
I just checked my rental in Jan and I had my deposit back in full within 2 business days. Every place you stay on vacation is someone else's property. VRBO is a business and the owners that don't toe the mark soon lose their business thru bad reviews and lack of repeat business.

ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote