Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Practical considerations aside for the moment, I'm a bit put off by the concept.
TSA/DHS: "We realize that we have created a nightmare for travelers. For lots of reasons, we make people wait a long time at some locations (especially when returning from overseas). Yes,we could make it faster and more efficient, I suppose. Would you like special consideration and a shorter line? Pay us $100. It is up to you."
It only sounds like a "protection racket".
The government has all the information they need to speed me through security, already collected and compiled by other government people at taxpayer expense. Bundling it up for use by TSA/DHS should be on their dime, and a normal part of the process to ID "undesirables" and to reduce the screening time of those who are "okay."
Rant off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like they are only allowing pre check to paying customers now.

http://wjla.com/news/local/tsa-confi...-check-program

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post

http://wjla.com/news/local/tsa-confi...-check-program

I'm personally glad to hear it. It's gotten pretty bad with the travelers that aren't sure how it works.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
We want to get the global entry but don't live in one of the cities where you are processed....closest in 150 miles or so...requiring o/n stay. Not sure either of logistics for 2 of us to go at same time as I believe the application is as an individual not a family. The $100 each to us would definitely be worth it though.

You schedule the interviews, so you can get two slots in a row for a couple. You also have a fairly wide window of dates in which to schedule the appointment, though I forget the specifics. If you are passing through an airport or city with a Global Entry office you might be able to schedule a time that fits. Not necessarily overnight. It was only an hour or so.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post

TSA confirms it has scaled back on Pre-Check program | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WJLA

But TSA Pre is still available for Global Entry permits. Right? The article makes no mention of it.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
But TSA Pre is still available for Global Entry permits. Right? The article makes no mention of it.
According to the website Global Entry is eligible for TSA Pre. We signed up for TSA Pre a couple of years ago and think we've gotten our money's worth from it already. Shortest time through security was <1 minute (just walked right through). Longest was about 12 minutes when the regular line looked to be about 1/2 hour. The majority has been <5 minute wait. We'll definitely look into Global Entry when our TSA Pre expires.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #27

I've had it for about 4 years and mainly got it for border crossings at bridges. It costs another $40 (or it did) for each car you want to register. It certainly speeds crossings there. I have used it at various airports and find it speeds things up a bit but I'm not usually rushing to get to the gate so doesn't make a huge difference. Travel within and out bound from Canada one is not usually having to remove shoes or belts anymore and we have had the same experience in Europe.