Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
By 6 the lawn is packed and it's enjoyable just walking around looking at all the people, the different ways they have prepared and brought food, and all the unique Ravinia gear (tables, chairs, other portable stuff) they have.
I'm getting stoked.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The butterfly garden at this nature museum is pretty cool:

The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum :: Permanent Exhibitions

Lots of shopping at the mag mile on Michigan avenue, if you're into that sort of thing:

The Magnificent Mile - GNMAA

There's a neat church and modern art museum in that area as well, if you don't like the shopping.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on the architectural boat tour.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Strongly recommend the tall ships - I happen to work on one of them for my second job, and I'll be out there in the evenings on the 11th and 12th (I'm on Red Witch). Tell the first mate you're from the early retirement group. When you're in Ogilvie, be sure to stop into the French Market - some good food places, particularly Pastoral - great cheeses, some wines and beer, good for picnics if you're planning on something along those lines.

As far as the Dresden books Nords recommended, I recommend reading them (I chewed them them in about a week last month) and promptly forgetting everything about Chicago in them. It's really really bad. Breaking suspension of disbelief bad for anyone remotely familiar with Chicago. I had to pretend that it had nothing to do with the city, except for Sue in the Field museum. Which was located in Lincoln Park. sigh.

Anyway, come to see the ships, many good deep dishes (I won't wade into the fight), and enjoy the summer! The museum campus and walking the lakefront is recommended!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #25

Well, we are here. Very nice city. Super friendly people so far. Gigantic food servings, not so much the healthy choice stuff so far. Hit Edwardo's last night, liked it. Probably hit Lou Manetti's in a day or two. Got CTA passes for 3 days so we are good to go all over. Planning on sailing out Thurs on the Red Witch. Gonna see some of the sights now. Gottat go.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

What sail on Thursday? Have someone else working that day, but i may swing by RW to say hello. Hoping to get out of the office in time and catch up with some other boats. Always fun to meet someone else from the forums.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Well, we are here. Very nice city. Super friendly people so far. Gigantic food servings, not so much the healthy choice stuff so far. Hit Edwardo's last night, liked it. Probably hit Lou Manetti's in a day or two. Got CTA passes for 3 days so we are good to go all over. Planning on sailing out Thurs on the Red Witch. Gonna see some of the sights now. Gottat go.
There is no healthy food in Chicago - at least none that I know of. You have some cool, dry days ahead for sightseeing. Have a great time!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I adore any kind of pizza, but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food (Green Zebra, for example, is vegetarian and quite nice). Alinea was named the 7th best restaurant in the world (top US restaurant) in 2010, and the chef's new venture Next is booked for months ahead of time. Girl and the Goat continues to make headlines. Etc., etc., etc. Here is Chicago magazine's list of best new restaurants: Best New Restaurants in Chicago 2011 - Chicago magazine - May 2011 - Chicago

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time and great weather for a sail.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I adore any kind of pizza, but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food (Green Zebra, for example, is vegetarian and quite nice). Alinea was named the 7th best restaurant in the world (top US restaurant) in 2010, and the chef's new venture Next is booked for months ahead of time. Girl and the Goat continues to make headlines. Etc., etc., etc. Here is Chicago magazine's list of best new restaurants: Best New Restaurants in Chicago 2011 - Chicago magazine - May 2011 - Chicago
As Feever points out, there are many fine dining choices in Chicagoland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
There is no healthy food in Chicago - at least none that I know of.
Nonetheless, I agree with Ronstar. Even the hot meals section at the local Whole Foods Market is unlike its counterparts in other parts of the country. In Cal and NY they have brown rice and tofu, while locally they have lasagna, meatballs, three types of white rice, and chili. When we discussed with the store manager he just said “every store caters to the tastes of the local market”.

One tasty and enjoyable restaurant dedicated to healthful foods and close to the city is Blind Faith Cafe in Evanston.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabourne View Post
What sail on Thursday?
Not sure but probably early, like 11 or 12:30. I'll discuss it with my wife this morning and repost the time a little later if we figure it out.

Buddy Guy's Legends for the blues last night was really good. Guy by the name of Lindsey Alexander. Tore it up.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #31

Forecast looks great for the show tonight
Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food
Just a little tongue in cheek actually. Found a wide variety and obviously can't survive on pizza and hotdogs, ... , well maybe for a while. Had a very nice, light, Thai meal last night.

Weather is great, we have some luck.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabourne View Post
Hoping to get out of the office in time and catch up with some other boats. Always fun to meet someone else from the forums.
Looks like we'll try to hit the Navy Pier early and get on the first sail at 11.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Forecast looks great for the show tonight
Yep, should be great. Looking forward to it. Should have brought earplugs last night. Got some cool pictures of Lindsey playing to my wife at our table. Post 'em when we get home.

First time seeing Los Lonely Boys, have seen Lobos a bunch but 1st time out of Calif., great stuff.

Gonna jump around this morning to Chinatown, Little Italy, and parts unknown. Got CTA passes so we're good to go.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to Hot Doug's for dogs if you can. Heavenly, but may be a serious line. Good weather for waiting in line at least. Recommend the foie Gras dog