Good hotel in London for $200 - $250 a night?

gretah

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, ER

Can you recommend a good hotel in central London costing $200-$250usd a night?

My knees no longer do stairs, so I need a hotel with a lift/elevator.

A hotel with a seating area in the lobby where I can read in the evenings after spending the days at the museums and sites would be nice.

Thanks! GH

My wife and I have stayed here:
Rembrandt London
https://www.sarova-rembrandthotel.com/

If you like museums, it is right on Museum row across from the Victoria and Albert.
Very nice 4 star place. I seem to recall they definitely had elevators.

I have a reservation next month at a Hampton Inn right near Waterloo Station for £175 including full breakfast. That's about $227 at today's rate. I consider it a good central location. But if you want a different area, you should be able to find a place.

Just spent 2 weeks (2nd visit - first visit 3 years ago) at the Copthorne Tara near High Street Kensington station (4 star - member of Millenium Hotels). Great location. Booked back in June on a special and paid about $150 a night (2 people). Clean, surprisingly quiet, lobby: check, elevators: check. Several restaurants on-site but also many options in the neighborhood. Free (but very slow) WiFi.
Right now listed at ca $200 a night

Used to go to Meila White House next to Regents Park (Great Portland Street station) which was very nice also, but their prices have jumped significantly over the past few years.

We have had excellent results bidding for London hotels on Priceline. We always bid 4 star or higher. Never been disappointed...especially in the Kensington, Maide Vale areas.

Also, you might want to look at Premier Inns. Just stayed at their property in Dublin 10 days ago and was impressed.

I stayed at Fraser Suites Queens Gate earlier this year.

It's more of an apartment, with a kitchenette. Very nice finishes inside.

I chose it also because it's close to the Gloucester Road Tube, which you can reach directly from Heathrow, without changes.

It's a couple of blocks from the Natural History Museum and further down from the V&A. Or take tube to Trafalgar Square for the museums there.

You guys are out of our budget @ $200-250 per night. Whenever we go to London, we always stay in the Craven Hill/Bayswater area. It's close to Kensington Palace with a couple of Underground lines which we use to get all over town.

I've been going into Booking.com and entering my preferred destination. Then I filter the search from lowest price to highest. I'm looking for a property with customer ratings substantially higher than others in the same approximate price range. I'll also go on TripAdvisor to see what's being said about the property we want to stay in. We've yet to be disappointed with accommodations found this way, and the price has been very reasonable.

Problem is the 20% VAT.

Central London is very difficult at that price. Do you really have to be there?

Last July I stayed at the Ibis Blackfriars. The price varied per night, but for what I booked it was well under your limit. Very pleasant, has a nice lobby, just half a block from the Tube and close to the New Tate.

We have had excellent results bidding for London hotels on Priceline. We always bid 4 star or higher. Never been disappointed...especially in the Kensington, Maide Vale areas.

Also, you might want to look at Premier Inns. Just stayed at their property in Dublin 10 days ago and was impressed.

You also should consider hotwire. They will give you the location and star rating. If you look up the star rating they should specify the minimum stars to ensure accessability.

Dang, that's a lot of $ for a night in a hotel! I hadn't even checked on prices for our trip there in November.

Fortunately, we have a few friends there who will let us crash with them while in the city.

One thing I'm really excited about doing while over there is taking a class with Alain de Botton's School of Life. I am an avid watcher of their YouTube channel and a fan of their online book called the Book of Life.

Check them out here: https://www.theschooloflife.com/

I've stayed in a variety of places in London - but my fave location is Russel Square/Bloomsbury. And my favorite hotel there is the Euro Hotel.
Euro Hotel

Bayswater is good also because of the tube and bus access... but Russell Square is great because you can take the tube from Heathrow, directly.

I have to get to Heathrow during rush hour with a least 2 tube station changes or a private car. I'm thinking about just leaving my rental condo late in the day and spending our last night at the Hilton Airport hotel. It's connected to Term 4 which is my departure terminal.And with breakfast included it's in that 200-250 range.

spending our last night at the Hilton Airport hotel. It's connected to Term 4 which is my departure terminal.

Stayed there two years ago. Not a bad hotel. A very long walk to the terminal. Elevated covered walkway, but still a good 10 minute walk. Breakfast was excellent.

I have to get to Heathrow during rush hour with a least 2 tube station changes or a private car. I'm thinking about just leaving my rental condo late in the day and spending our last night at the Hilton Airport hotel. It's connected to Term 4 which is my departure terminal.And with breakfast included it's in that 200-250 range.

Check out Minicabit.com.

I paid just under £40 in May 2015 to get from Chelsea/Belgravia area to Heathrow in the morning for 3 passengers.

You have to prebook though, you can't just hail at the last minute.

I've stayed with the Citadines chain of apartment-hotels in London and Paris and really enjoyed both properties. So much so that I actually look for their properties now in the cities that I am considering for vacation. They have very high standards for customer service. In London, I stayed at this location:

Citadines aparthotels: serviced apartments for short term accommodations in major European cities centers

It is below your price point but it's not in central London, although the nearest metro station is close by. You can get into their Trafalgar square property for $245 per night with a 21 day advanced, non-refundable purchase, so I guess you do have some options in central London at this time of year at that price point.

I would also look at the Rick Steves book for London. This and the RS forum site.

Back
Top Bottom