Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My favorite shade of purple! Maybe next time drink instead of handling the map. Drunks are usually relaxed and bounce better. Speedy recovery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No, it was another photo, and more close up. It showed just the face or the torso, and with your DW, I think. Perhaps it was when you were about to board a seaplane. My memory is still good, but just fuzzy.
Wow. You have a good memory but if you saw the seaplane you probably clicked on a link to a Flickr album. I took that shot with DW in the frame. There are torso shots of the two of us on a float trip and in front of a glacier. I must have posted one of those.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #43

That looks painful! Glad to hear it isn't as bad as it looks.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow. You have a good memory but if you saw the seaplane you probably clicked on a link to a Flickr album. I took that shot with DW in the frame. There are torso shots of the two of us on a float trip and in front of a glacier. I must have posted one of those.
No, it was definitely on this forum and not on an external site. I might have remembered the seaplane from your description text, and not the photo.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No, it was definitely on this forum and not on an external site. I might have remembered the seaplane from your description text, and not the photo.
I remember a video about a parachute jump!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I remember a video about a parachute jump!
Another disaster. The video was from when I took my daughter for a jump. Then I went back and broke my knee on a bad landing. I guess my problem is that I like to do a lot of challenging activities but I am a lousy athlete so prone to mishap
Old 06-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess my problem is that I like to do a lot of challenging activities but I am a lousy athlete so prone to mishap
I guess I do not have the same tenacity. Many many years ago, I put on a pair of rolling skates, promptly fell on my butt, and thought to myself whatever fun I would get out of it was not worth it. Never been on anything like that since.

But I do ride bikes (short distances) and motorcycles (dirt bike), but do no crazy stunts. Have not broken any bone or sprain anything in my life, but did suffer a few road rashes (not in the last few decades ).

PS. Ooops! Forgot about the road rash I got last summer, but because it was insignificant.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another disaster. The video was from when I took my daughter for a jump. Then I went back and broke my knee on a bad landing. I guess my problem is that I like to do a lot of challenging activities but I am a lousy athlete so prone to mishap
Don, you are funny!

Ha
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Don, you are funny!

Ha
You will know comedy when you get me out on one of your dance floors.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #50

Don- That will teach you not to mess with those silly route sheets. It's much more interesting to just keep riding and get lost

Seriously- Get well soon!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Rough - good luck on the recovery.

Makes me wonder if my wife and I taking up mountain biking in our retirement was the most prudent choice. Sticking to the moderate trails, but there are still some adventurous downhills out there. And sometimes my mind can ride trails better than my body can deliver.

If I see the young riders out there with full protection helmets and gear, I know my mind is writing checks my body can't cash.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Don,
Sympathy and empathy and best wishes for a good recovery.

Serves as a reminder. I too, love biking and in my 79th year am taking your "crash" as a warning.

I have given up using my Motobecane road bike and switched to my Mongoose full suspension mountain bike... lowered the seat, added a better rear view mirror, and don't ride in high gear very often. Took a tumble three years ago, showing off with a teenager going full blast downhill, and didn't quite make a right turn... Don't remember much except I ended up 10 feet from the bike feeling bone by bone that I was ok, and deciding then to ALWAYS wear a helmet.

The 30 mile rides have turned into 5 or 10 miles at a time and never on busy roads. The risk is always there, but we balance the joys of what we like to do, knowing that 75 years with no serious accidents counts for nothing when it comes to tomorrow.

No more tent camping, hiking, or climbing in the Adirondaks, but we hang on to the things we can still do... biking, canoeing and some sailing. Being thankful for what still works.
It's definitely worth considering one's limitations, as Dirty Harry would say, but I'd rather croak riding a bike than on the couch, or worse, at w*rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

A cycling friend of mine likes to remind us that the rides where something goes wrong typically makes for a good story.
Probably a good story here once you heal and are back on the bike.
Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't know for sure until Monday but it looks like the scapula can be left to mend on it's own. The clavicle is a mess and will need hardware.
So an update is needed. O.R.I.F. for me 3 times for comminuted collarbone fractures.

However, I met someone who just got on with life with a two-piece collarbone.

Good luck on the PT.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Replying to an old post here but have not been on the forum in quite a while.

Don, sorry to hear about your fall and hope by now you have had a full recovery or at least feeling much better.
We did a bicycling trip in Ireland about 7 yrs ago and had a great time. No accidents I'm happy to report but did get separated from the group and added a lot of extra miles to my days ride.😩 but there is always a local pub to help ease the pain in the legs.
We didn't have a good experience with our bike tour company ( a non attentive and non accomodating supprt guide). Were you happy with VBT, ? i'll need to read up on them. I would like to bike some areas of Europe, not sure what parts yet and would like any recommendations on tour companies that have been used with good results. Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Yes twolfy, I like VBT and have been on many tours with them. They are expensive (but less than some other high end tour companies) but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

One of my nieces took time off work for a month to go on a European bike trip with her fiancÚ.

They did not take any tour, and shipped their bikes there and back. They went from Prague to Berlin, but I do not know what route they took, what detour.