Join Early Retirement Today

Great walking cities
Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Great walking cities

A big part of traveling for me is walking. I really enjoy discovering a new city by foot, frequently covering 15 miles a day or more.

So I'm looking for new ideas for places that are great to explore walking. Obviously having visually and culturally interesting neighborhoods is important. Some of the criteria would be either compact enough to be explored by foot over a couple of weeks, or with good public transit to get to the interesting areas. Places with a lot of foot traffic are ideal, so not too much time is spent navigating around highways.

Examples that have worked well for me include Istanbul, London, Prague, Berlin, Rome, Lisbon, Amsterdam, Brisbane, Sydney, San Francisco and Chicago. I don't have much experience in South America or Asia, which is something I'd like to change.

So I'm looking for others. Dubrovnik, Cordoba, and Porto are on my list. I tend to like to stay in an area for a few weeks, making day trips to surrounding areas.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Venice, Italy
Florence, Italy
Savannah, Georgia
Edinburgh, Scotland
Cusco, Peru
New York City
Amsterdam
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Get comfortable sneakers/shoes and come to NYC I think less than half of the people even own cars.
When I was a kid you could play ball on many streets and there were zero cars parked on them.
Now I would say most streets have a few cars on them.
It takes me 45 minutes to get a loaf of Italian bread and the bakery is 3 blocks away. I get tons of visual and cultural stimulation on the walk. I yap to everyone, window shop, and see where the screaming fire engine is going.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Not sure if this would qualify, but my growin' up hometown in New England is a recap of a century plus 'ago'. In truth, not much has changed.
This link to pictures is a trip into the past, when Textile was king. The streets and the buildings haven't changed much over the past 150 years.

Pawtucket, Rhode Island

https://www.google.com/search?q=pawt...0l3m202gwxT6M:
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boston and New York are the most walkable cities in the US I've been to.

In Europe, I'd have trouble thinking of a city that wasn't very walkable, especially when combined with some public transportation, and especially with the distances you're capable of. No experience with other continents.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Genoa, Kracow, Malaga, Budapest, Thessaloniki, Orense, Ribadavia, Leon, Guimarães........and Porto, which you already mentioned, is probably our favorite.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Interesting. My mother grew up in Cranston, but I haven't been there since I was a young kid. Looks like Cranston to Pawtucket is actually a walkable distance.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Zagreb
Budapest
Salzburg
Dublin
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Venice, Italy
Florence, Italy
Savannah, Georgia
Edinburgh, Scotland
Cusco, Peru
New York City
Amsterdam
New Orleans exceeds Savannah IMO......
Old 09-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

I've found most European cities to be very walkable.

South America, not so much, mainly because I like to restrict myself to "safe" parts of town.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Genoa, Kracow, Malaga, Budapest, Thessaloniki, Orense, Ribadavia, Leon, Guimarães........and Porto, which you already mentioned, is probably our favorite.
Ribidavia, Orense - I have a friend who goes to Vigo and Tui, his birthplace, every August. I've been wanting to make that trip with him, Guess I need to do some spring and summer traveling - I tend to stay close to home in those seasons because it's great here, and it's during my baseball season and I hate to miss games.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've found most European cities to be very walkable.

South America, not so much, mainly because I like to restrict myself to "safe" parts of town.
That is also a factor - I've wandered into a few places that might have been tooooo residential - not necessarily unsafe, but definitely felt like I was a conspicuous outsider.

Getting some great ideas to add to my already ambitious travel list.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

paris. both beautiful and very walkable
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most cities in Asia are good for walk. They have a lot of people and good public transit systems.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Boston and New York are the most walkable cities in the US I've been to.

In Europe, I'd have trouble thinking of a city that wasn't very walkable, especially when combined with some public transportation, and especially with the distances you're capable of. No experience with other continents.
if you like Chicago, you will love Boston & NYC.

Capetown is OK but many people feel uncomfortable.

Jerusalem and Tel Aviv

Quebec City, CN
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Jerusalem
35 years since I was there, but just loved the old city. (I would have added Aleppo, but don't know what's left of it, and the current atmosphere isn't really conducive to walking.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I love walking around London, Edinburgh, and Manchester.

One thing to remember if you are used to right hand traffic and you go somewhere with left hand traffic; look out!

I know we're taught to look both ways. When you get in the middle of a busy intersection, you will be confused. You're probably going to see it incorrectly, or perhaps there are other drivers who are driving on the other side of the road for the first time!

My first day walking around London, I screwed up and stepped out in traffic. After that near miss, I waited till others went ahead of me. Smart right? Then a clown who wasn't used to driving that way round, plowed through an intersection full of pedestrians, the wrong way! We all managed to scatter but it could have been ugly.

Enjoy the walking but be very careful.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though I lived in New York, I've only actually been to the city once. I really ought to spend some time there.

I guess Chicago is my baseline, since I've been there many times. When I was driving in Boston, I really envied those who were on foot.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Honolulu

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
Even though I lived in New York, I've only actually been to the city once. I really ought to spend some time there.

I guess Chicago is my baseline, since I've been there many times. When I was driving in Boston, I really envied those who were on foot.
Before I retired, I decided to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. I was assigned to many protests on it and even climbed up the towers to do observations, but never did the leisurely walk over. It was a blast, I drank a large coffee as I people watched and then took in the views as I got higher in elevation.

Full disclosure. Some one picked me up for the return trip.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote