Groningen or Osnabrück?

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Working on the premise that next year's trip will be a 'go'; so in one sector we're looking at going from Rostock to Amsterdam via train, (more than one route), with a stopover in either Groningen, Netherlands or Osnabrück, Germany.

We haven't visited either, but are leaning towards Groningen.........anyone visited either/both?

I was in Rostock last August. The beaches adjacent at Warnemunde were very nice. Otherwise, that region is just not the most scenic part of Germany to spend much time in.
I'd be out'ta there and on the train to Amsterdam.

I was in Rostock last August. The beaches adjacent at Warnemunde were very nice. Otherwise, that region is just not the most scenic part of Germany to spend much time in.
I'd be out'ta there and on the train to Amsterdam.

The Spanish ship we're scheduled to take, (back to back cruises), goes from Costa Rica - Lisboa, Lisboa - Rostock.......so we'll disembark in Rostock and wend our way to Amsterdam, but we'd like to visit one or two spots en route.

I went to Groeningen on business a few years ago. It's a lovely little town. I only had one day off to play tourist, but I enjoyed the art museum, the market in the town square, and the view from the top of the bell tower. I was there in December, so it was dark from about 4 PM to 10 AM, but everything was lit up and decorated for Christmas. I don't know that there's enough to do there to keep you busy for days on end, but I'd love to go back in the summer some day.

The one problem I had was changing trains when coming from the airport. I just could not figure out from the announcements which track to go to and had to ask for help.

I was in Groningen on business years ago. All I remember is windy, cold, desolate. I don't think the Dutch even go there unless attending the University there.

Thanks for the input guys......we'd only be looking at stopping over for maybe two nights max, just for a change of venue.

(Anyone have comments on Wismar and/or Lubeck....two more possibilities?)

I can highly recommend Wismar and Lübeck.
The towns are famous for the old brick buildings, town houses and churches. All very walkable and just fine for a stopover.
At Wismar you must visit the sparkling wine place: Sektkellerei Altes Gewölbe Wismar - ostsee.de
https://www.hanse-sektkellerei.de/e...reich=artikel&_aktion=detail&idartikel=100233
They have tastings and tours in english.
At Lübeck there is Niederegger for Marzipan:
Niederegger Lübeck - Marzipan with Love. Since 1806..
Enjoy your trip!

Lübeck is nice. To me it was a day trip from Hamburg, so you could do a day trip to Hamburg instead.

Whenever I am in a port like Hamburg, I try to do a harbor tour. I find it interesting to learn about all the ships currently in port. But since you are doing ocean travel already, you may not find that interesting.

Whenever I am in a port like Hamburg, I try to do a harbor tour. I find it interesting to learn about all the ships currently in port. But since you are doing ocean travel already, you may not find that interesting.

I've always been drawn to port areas......used to love to walk around looking at the ships from all over.....still recall, as vividly as if it was yesterday, two of us in Karachi, 1963, going from ship to ship* in a vain attempt to work our passage (nearer) to Australia.

*We weren't, of course, supposed to be on the docks, and when 'caught' by a Customs Officer the penance imposed was to listen to his lecture on the problems (which are pretty much still the same nowadays) in Kashmir. :LOL:

My mom and I spent a day in Osnabrück two years ago. We went to a little town outside of the city and found the graves of her great-grandparents. Other than that fascinating possibility however, there isn't much to recommend in the area.

Back
Top Bottom