Join Early Retirement Today
Habitat for Humanity - New Orleans - Dec 2010
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Habitat for Humanity - New Orleans - Dec 2010

I wanted to let everyone know about a travel experience my wife and I are planning. It's a little unusual but I think it will be very interesting. Please send a PM if you are interested in attending.

We are going to New Orleans between Christmas 2010 and the New Year. We are bringing our travel trailer and camping at Bayou Segnette State Park just outside New Orleans.

We'll be working with Habitat for Humanity on December 28, 29 & 30. We're arriving a day earlier and departing on January 1st. That will give us plenty of time to experience New Orleans. If you want to join us you can help with the Habitat house any one, two or all three work days. Just let me know in your PM.

It's not necessary to have an RV to help out with this Habitat House. Please consider joining us and staying in a nearby hotel. You also don't need carpentry experience - there are a wide variety of tasks to perform during the workday - all you need is a desire to help.

Please refer to the thread I started on anther Social Knowledge Forum New Orleans Habitat Rally Dec 28-30, 2010 - Airstream Forums

Dreamin' of Streamin'
FIRE'd at 52 on 7/8/11
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Good idea. In 2008 DW & I flew down to the NO Jazz Fest and then spent a week with HFH in Biloxi. Stayed in Salvation Army housing--trailers with rows of bunk beds, quite a change from the French Quarter. It was a memorable experience, hard on my body as a former desk jockey. It seemed like a good start to a long anticipated retirement.
Not likely to join you on those dates but still active in various projects. After DW & I return from a trip to Bali we will be working on a Heifer Project back in California. I just like the idea of your posting. I have met one person from this board (Trombone Al) and I think a lot of posters are really interesting. Maybe there will be a board here where various posters are going to do a project like you are proposing and can post a general invitation to interested parties to join in.

T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I've casually thought about looking into this. Keep me posted on future locations.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote

habitat for humanity, new orleans, travel