Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
found out that PEI was basically fairly flat, and potatoes were grown to supply 25% of the demand of Canada.
My late wife & I were in PEI in 1997 (Our joint reaction "Meh" but one of her brothers thought it was wonderful).

Likewise, DW was there, 1978, and shares our, Newfoundland, that's high up on the bucket list when we're confined to Canadian only travel.

"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
In Nova Scotia, Cabot Trail has lots of good hikes. That is actually the only place I have ever seen a moose in the wild (and I have been to Alaska, Maine, Montana, Wyoming etc...). If you like lighthouses there is a lighthouse trail that includes Peggy's Cove. I did a boat tour to see Puffins in Cape Breton that was really fun. Halifax is definitely worth a day or two.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Yeah, that is the hard part - knowing what to cut out as much as what to put in. You were using an RV, we are doing hotels (which is by far our biggest expense). I'd originally planned on tent camping as well, but the weather being so uncertain and nights chillier than my wife is used to camping here, and the car already going to be loaded down with so many clothes...pretty sure tenting isn't going to work.
It's already late Sep when you get there, so yes, it will be cold. Campgrounds start to close down in mid to late September as it gets down to freezing. The Acadian Historic Village will be closed when you get there. Even in Maine, many campgrounds close down in mid Oct.

By the time you get down to Maine, the timing may work out right for the fall foliage. Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park are a must, if you have not been there. We have been to Bar Harbor a couple of times prior, and found it changed quite a bit with new construction.

After Maine, I wanted to linger around a bit, in order to spend Halloween in Salem, MA. However, there was some problem at home, and I had to get back.

Having an RV for extended trips is great. I can "bum" all around the country in comfort. Living out of a suitcase or a minivan for 2-3 months is too tough.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #24
We are in PEI now for a few days. We spent some time in Nova Scota's Aanoplis Valley plus Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, and Lunenberg. very much enjoyed it. We had previously enjoyed Halifax and Cape Breton.

DId a week in Newfoundland in late August. We did not get to Grose Morne. FLew in and out on our way from Halifax and on to Dublin. Newfoundland is expensive-food, gas, accommodation etc. If you plan to rent a car book early and shop around. We found that rates vary greatly. We were happy that we is so very different than anywhere else in Canada.

We prefer shoulder season for travel. Rates are down, easier to find accommodation. Plus all the kids and dogs are off the road.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #25
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you are willing to go as far as the Cabot Trail, then you can stop by Baddeck to visit Alexander Graham Bell Museum. I learned more about Bell that I did not know. This Scottish native worked on more than just the telephone.

Also on the Cape Breton is the Fortress of Louisbourg, another worthwhile historical site to visit.
Did this 40+ years ago. Gorgeous. Was summer & still cool - mainly 60's - & breezy.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I have been to Nova Scotia several times, loved it. Many good suggestions on this thread for things to do but in my opinion the very best hike is the Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct. A gorgeous seaside hike, with beautiful views and wildlife. About 6 or 7 kms and not too strenuous. Be sure to take plenty of water and bug spray. We always pack a lunch. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HIKE. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back.

Last time we were in NS lobsters (delicious) were cheaper then hamburger.

Jo Ann

golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote