Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake Distr...
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake Distr...

Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake District) ?
REI and national geographic have tours that look interesting - I am inclined to use a tour since I will probably be going solo. Anyone have any comments recommendations? I'm not set on this particular trek but it looks like fun and I enjoyed the couple days I spent in the Lake District many years ago.

If you have any summertime treks like this that stop in huts or hotels that you can recommend I would be interested in hearing about those.

I went on a Iceland highlands-to-the-south-coast trek / tour a while back that was really great so I am looking for something similar.

It had Lots of great hiking and stays overnight at mountain cabins ( No tent camping ) at night so you just take your day pack on each leg.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #2

I don't do tours but will be at the Lake District for a few days or at least a week. I'm going to see all the old castles in Northern England. There was a show on the BBC recently. I'm keen in going to see Durham castle, the one that Sting was playing his Xmas DVD.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Try the Inca trail, they have porters to carry all your stuff.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Administrator

I've met and talked to people doing the coast to coast where porters transfer your gear from stop to stop and they all had very good things to say about it. The folks I have talked to were all in N. Yorkshire, well on the way to their finishing point in Robin Hood's bay. I don't recall which particular company they were with.

One morning for breakfast we went to The Lion at Blakey Ridge and saw a bunch of them loading their gear into a van before setting off. To stay at The Lion is not a bad thing to do after a days hiking. (I've no idea about the quality of other popular spots on route)

The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorks
Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I started to, but the fifth clotted cream scone in the lake district stopped me dead in my tracks.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I started to, but the fifth clotted cream scone in the lake district stopped me dead in my tracks.
Your quote cracked me up. I had a Cornwall cream tea scone and it stayed with me for 3 days
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Try the Inca trail, they have porters to carry all your stuff.

I've contemplated the inca trail on occasion but had the concern that it would be a bit too crowded due to its popularity - that's just speculation on my part though

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've met and talked to people doing the coast to coast where porters transfer your gear from stop to stop and they all had very good things to say about it. The folks I have talked to were all in N. Yorkshire, well on the way to their finishing point in Robin Hood's bay. I don't recall which particular company they were with.

One morning for breakfast we went to The Lion at Blakey Ridge and saw a bunch of them loading their gear into a van before setting off. To stay at The Lion is not a bad thing to do after a days hiking. (I've no idea about the quality of other popular spots on route)

The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorks

Thanks I'll keep an eye out to see if it's included on any of the tours

Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't do tours but will be at the Lake District for a few days or at least a week. I'm going to see all the old castles in Northern England. There was a show on the BBC recently. I'm keen in going to see Durham castle, the one that Sting was playing his Xmas DVD.

Tours usually don't interest me either but trekking by myself in the Icelandic highlands for a couple weeks didn't seem too smart and I was very happy with the experience . So while you likely won't end up dead if you get lost in the Lake District , I figured I'd give the organized trek thing another try.

If you can manage , take a ride on the steamer boat on coniston water - I think some of the early speed boat speed records were done in that area

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/steam-yacht-gondola

Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I've contemplated the inca trail on occasion but had the concern that it would be a bit too crowded due to its popularity - that's just speculation on my part though

It can be very crowded around Machu Picchu as that is a national park and many hike up to the Sun Gate. The rest of the trail is controlled by the government: you must go with a guide, and the number of hikers on the trail is regulated.

In addition, for a majority of Peruvians, walking the trail is part of a cultural religious belief. They still need a guide.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post

Never been (I live in Lima),but seeing the thousands of tourists day in and day out here for the past 13 years, I suspect your speculations are correct. Have a client at my wife's penthouse who is a famed US archaeologist who is leading the team to control the flow of people at Machu Picchu. I will have to ask him as my Daughter and her fiance are contemplating it as well.I have heard that there is an alternate route that has been discovered, but do not know if it is cleared and functional yet.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
LOL!

Might have stopped up some arteries too!!