Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jensen Beach is one of the places where you can go out on the beach at night and not see any lights.

It's not the Panama Beach/Myrtle Beach kind'a place with all the putt putt golf, pinball palaces and big hotels. It's the real Florida.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm moving to The Villages area as soon as my house sells. I will be selling real estate until I accumulate enough $$ to buy in The Villages.

I've visited that place twice a year for over 10 years since my parents live there and love it. They are both 84 and very active.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Jensen Beach is one of the places where you can go out on the beach at night and not see any lights.

It's not the Panama Beach/Myrtle Beach kind'a place with all the putt putt golf, pinball palaces and big hotels. It's the real Florida.
Do you mean Jensen Beach or Hutchison Island Fl? We used to go out to Hutchison when my parents lived southwest of there. Not as familiar with Jensen. Any ideas appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jensen Beach is NE of Stuart--same place as Hutchinson Island. It's just east of Port St. Lucie.

After spending so much time in the Daytona area, I wasn't prepared for the dark, quiet beaches around there. But that was a number of years ago.

We get to Florida maybe once per year, but it's not for the beaches. We live 20' from the Tennessee River with a 6 mile water view to the sunset. We can afford homeowners insurance and property taxes are low--something not experienced in The Sunshine State.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Bamaman. I don't know when they started doing it but some of the Southern Atlantic beaches are dimly lit. It's to provide the sea turtles a better environment for breeding. We were on Vero beach last year and they had signs all over telling you to turn off outdoor lighting. I guess turtles like the lights off.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #46

The turtles need the "land side" to be dark when they hatch. Normally the moonlit ocean is what they walk toward and if there are lights, they can get confused by them.

Glad to hear that Florida beaches mandate the same "lights out for turtles" that we do along the SC coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sarah that makes a lot more sense. I know Vero had signs all over as did Melbourne beach. Sounds like further south as well.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks Bamaman. I don't know when they started doing it but some of the Southern Atlantic beaches are dimly lit. It's to provide the sea turtles a better environment for breeding. We were on Vero beach last year and they had signs all over telling you to turn off outdoor lighting. I guess turtles like the lights off.

Since turtles don't have beer goggles, turning off the lights is their only option...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:08 AM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

I am glad to see a thread about retiring in Florida that is not all doom and gloom!!

We own a home in Orlando that we use for vacation. We love going there often and thought about moving there for work but salaries are pretty low compared to west coast.

Is there anybody who snowbirds in ER between Florida and other states/countries?

That is our current plan. Move our primary residence in Florida in ER and travel to Europe to see the family and friends we still have there.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Randy View Post
I'm moving to The Villages area as soon as my house sells. I will be selling real estate until I accumulate enough $$ to buy in The Villages.

I've visited that place twice a year for over 10 years since my parents live there and love it. They are both 84 and very active.

My uncle retired from the Chicago police department after 33 years and moved to the Villages. He told me the Villages has the highest STD rate per capita of anywhere in the country.

Mike
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
I am glad to see a thread about retiring in Florida that is not all doom and gloom!!

We own a home in Orlando that we use for vacation. We love going there often and thought about moving there for work but salaries are pretty low compared to west coast.

Is there anybody who snowbirds in ER between Florida and other states/countries?
That's our plan. We already own the home just north of Orlando and rent it for 6 winter months and to family for weeks at the parks during the summer. We own the property in WI for the northern leg but have a little building to do there.

This is the last year for winter rentals in FL and we will be executing plan in next 1-2 years. Can't wait.

I would think after some years we will dispose of the WI property and just be in FL but will do the commute as long as we are willing/able.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
My uncle retired from the Chicago police department after 33 years and moved to the Villages. He told me the Villages has the highest STD rate per capita of anywhere in the country.

Mike
So, is that a reason to stay away, or a reason to move there?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
So, is that a reason to stay away, or a reason to move there?
Yes
Old 01-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
He told me the Villages has the highest STD rate per capita of anywhere in the country.
Gives entirely new meaning to having "a burning desire to live in the Villages"...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Dear Wife and I are retiring to cape coral florida as of July 2015-->Southwest Florida, Just north of Ritzy Naples. We are chomping at the bit to get there!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

What are the great places to retire in Florida? We have a home by Disney but would not want to retire there.

We are looking for close to water, international airport not too far, international community (love that aspect in Orlando) and upscale.

Any recommendations?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have lived lived in Florida for 24 years and we purchased a villa home in Heritage Isle Viera, FL which is a 55 plus community. We will retire next year. The community is beautiful with a clubhouse that has all kinds of activities along with a gym and pool. There are many things to do just in the community. Viera is a friendly place to live. The community is near all the shops and restaurants and only 20 min from the beach. It is 50 minutes to the Orlando airport and Melbourne airport is close by. We can't wait to RETIRE and enjoy the area full time! Good luck in your search.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20isle%20viera
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone have experience of FL gated communities, that are not centered on GOLF, and are not for senior citizens only? We don't golf, and I prefer to have neighbors who are a mix of generations, not just senior citizens.

Amethyst
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Does anyone have experience of FL gated communities, that are not centered on GOLF, and are not for senior citizens only? We don't golf, and I prefer to have neighbors who are a mix of generations, not just senior citizens.

Amethyst
Lakes of Mount Dora (central/north of Orlando) is not based on golf. Our community has a course but it is not the main feature (membership is optional).

Our community is now mixed. It was built in 1997 and all were almost the same age until the last several years. Now there is starting to be turnover which is giving it a nice mix.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

There are many gated communities not on a golf course. Find an area that you like and get a knowledgeable realtor to take you around.